4-stroke in frame shift kit... what fits?

GoldenMotor.com

twelvestringtex

Apr 22, 2011
Houston, TX
what bikes have ya'll used for a 4-stroke in frame mount? I'm using the Honda GX-50, and unfortunately it doesn't fit the bike I had planned to slip it into. carburetor wants to insert itself into the seatpost.... which obviously won't work.

twelvestringtex

Apr 22, 2011
Houston, TX
Cool, good to hear! I'm willing to put out up to about $400 towards a bike, since I'm spoiled on trigger shifters and a very nice pair of bikes.... How's the durability on that Roadmaster? Is it doing well? is it this bike:

Roadmaster 26" Men's Bike - Walmart.com

Basically, i'm looking for a bike with a good frame and fork.... the rest I can upgrade if I need, but it's gotta be durable since Houston is VERY pot-holey.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Here's a couple bikes I ride with the Honda clone's on them and have racked up thousands of mile on both. They are both aluminum framed Ridgedale's made in China, one is a really tight fit, the other is roomy enuf for a shift kit. They were both under $150 sold as complete bikes and there may still be a few of them kicking around.....check the internet.

http://motorbicycling.com/members/s...n-bike-racing-turned-motorizing-bikes-me.html

Good luck on your build!

dnut

twelvestringtex

Apr 22, 2011
Houston, TX
Scotto - I'm definitely going with the shift kit! Very nice build, I like the rack-mount gas-tank! brilliant and attractive! Unfortunately, that's where my toolkit goes, but once I get my kit dialed into reliability, I think that'd be awesome.

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Most cruiser frames should fit the GXH50 in them. MTBs are a bit harder unless the frame is for tall people. The bike you posted in that link looks much too small to fit. You may have to chop down the choke lever no matter what frame you use - that gets in the way first usually.

Here's mine, a Nirve Knuckle. The engine fits snug:

ocscully

Jan 6, 2008
Orange County, CA
I use the Schwinn Skyliner I built it originally with the Grubee III and switched to the 4G last fall. Originally I tried to install the set-up in a 19 in. Scott MTB but could not get it to fit. If you want to use a bike frame with straight tubs you will need at least a 20 in. frame? or better yet a 21 in. or larger.

ocscully

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
David Staton sent me some pics of a clockwise gearbox that would allow one to install the GXH with the output on the right side. This does two things. One it eliminates the jackshaft and one chain so you have a couple bearings and a piece of chain less to fail. It also does something else. My MTB was too small for the GXH until I pulled off the muffler and turned the motor around. The carb now had plenty off room, as did the exhaust for a flexpipe or some custom piece..

Last edited:

locutus_1

Oct 31, 2010
california
i got an email from sick bike parts i was told the 4 stroke shift kit only works on the honda and the 4g for that motor

i have a hs clone and the 80toothed pully its the same thing or am i wrong? whats the diffrence?

i really want to put one on my bike

locutus_1

Oct 31, 2010
california
cannon i just got an email from jim sbp he said its only the cranks wont clear the pull start and or the 4 g..

thats it.. i told him i have the stock bent cranks and a 3 piece with a super long extension for the cranks.. so in theroy it should work...

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Hi locutus, it is true that the HS+HS 4G is much wider than the HS/Honda + Honda 4G. About 1.5", and that extra width is on the gearbox side, where clearance is very tight. I have HS + Honda 4G and my pedals are within 1/8" on the gearbox side, 1/16" if I put the 4G cover on.

HS+HS 4G on a SBP kit can be done tho. There are a couple methods:

1) You'll need to have crank arms with more of an offset than the ones that the SBP kit comes with. Your main objective would be to get the left crank arm to clear the 4G.

2) Get shorter crank arms. If your left crank arm doesn't intrude into the 4G's space, then you don't have a crank clearance problem. All you'd have to worry about is your pant legs. 4G without covers love pant legs lol You can get pedal extenders to take care of that.

3) Get a wider spindle than what SBP offers. SBP's widest bottom bracket spindle is 203mm. If you can get one that has an extra 35-40mm on the left side, you won't have a clearance problem. However, the largest drawback of wide crank spindles is that they reduce pedal torque and are more susceptible to getting bent. Pedaling doesn't matter to most the MaBers here, but it matters to me, and it may matter to you.

Hope this helps!

locutus_1

Oct 31, 2010
california
Hi locutus, it is true that the HS+HS 4G is much wider than the HS/Honda + Honda 4G. About 1.5", and that extra width is on the gearbox side, where clearance is very tight. I have HS + Honda 4G and my pedals are within 1/8" on the gearbox side, 1/16" if I put the 4G cover on.

HS+HS 4G on a SBP kit can be done tho. There are a couple methods:

1) You'll need to have crank arms with more of an offset than the ones that the SBP kit comes with. Your main objective would be to get the left crank arm to clear the 4G.

2) Get shorter crank arms. If your left crank arm doesn't intrude into the 4G's space, then you don't have a crank clearance problem. All you'd have to worry about is your pant legs. 4G without covers love pant legs lol You can get pedal extenders to take care of that.

3) Get a wider spindle than what SBP offers. SBP's widest bottom bracket spindle is 203mm. If you can get one that has an extra 35-40mm on the left side, you won't have a clearance problem. However, the largest drawback of wide crank spindles is that they reduce pedal torque and are more susceptible to getting bent. Pedaling doesn't matter to most the MaBers here, but it matters to me, and it may matter to you.

Hope this helps!
thanks for your help.. i did speak with jim from sbp he said the same thing here is a picture of what i have the cranks are super wide and the spindle is really long i still have 1-2 inch clearance and its lower than the 4g tranny they came with the kit i bought off helio bikes http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb350/locutus_34/S7302079.jpg

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb350/locutus_34/S7302078.jpg

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb350/locutus_34/S7302077.jpg

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb350/locutus_34/S7302073.jpg

http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb350/locutus_34/S7302074.jpg

some other pics to show the bike

the only thing jim from sbp said was i have to use his spindle. if you look at the pic its special aparently to attach the free wheel part to it just like the hd axle has threads on it this does to.. so the only thing i can do if i need it longer is to weld extentions on.. but my cranks are so small end to end and so drastic a s shape im hopeing to get away with it.. infact the way it stands now its under the actual 4 g tranny i might with his setup just have half a pedal to use in case of emergency. which is all i would pedal for i still dont trust these motors infact ive had things break clogged jet from fuel stuff that propmts me to add things to add grade 8 bolts on everything i.. plan to ride 10 miles round trip a sunday driver sorta like the guy who takes his motor cycle out on the weekends infact ive had it a year and only gone 50 miles.. :)still in the breaking in stage and finding out stuff i need to upgrade or fix or add so it dosent cut out..

Last edited: