3 speed internal hub for SBP shifter... recommendations?

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I'm laying out things way ahead of time for a build next winter... a 1934 Elgin 4 star step through bike much like one I had built up over a year ago for the Rustoration Buildoff which was a 1939, but same basic design. That one burned up in a fire and I'd like to do it again, but this time better. Planned improvements are a suspension front end, PK-80 engine with SBP expansion exhaust, an SBP shift kit and a 3 speed rear hub to lace into a custom wheel. My question in this thread regards the choice of hub. It has to have a drum brake, three internal gears (three is enough) and be strong enough to withstand the higher compression PK-80 engine, a 200 lb rider and 30 lb. dog in tow. I had toyed with the idea or hope, really, there was a way to use an old Bendix internal 3 speed with a coaster brake and somehow make it into a free wheel hub. Scrap that idea which would likely end in failure. I want something relatively bullet proof, but as always I am on a budget. I have everything already except for the shift kit and internal hub. I am aware of there being a Nexus 3 speed and a Sturmey Archer 3 speed. The Sturmey Archer comes in a drum brake model, but I don't know if the Nexus does. Can anyone give a recommendation and perhaps a link so that I can check prices for new and also be on the lookout for used. I'm also open to a used shift kit, even the older one if someone has one to sell. I won't be racing this bike or pushing it in any way, but will want it to be able to climb hills with ease and get me where I'm going in style.
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Thanks for the link to your thread. I'm wondering how the hubs have held up? No one is using the Nexus hub? It sounds like the three speed Sturmey Archer with the drum brake is a good bet. Anybody have one they want to sell? Or a HD shift kit?
SB

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Yeah it's holding up well so far after ~1400 miles. It's smooth and has been completely trouble-free. But as I've stated before, I wish I would have went with the 90mm drum instead. Of course, that would have required custom spokes in my case. I bought new wheels at the same time I bought my hub, and had them de-laced and re-laced with the new hub. The 90mm model has a significantly larger shell diameter. Besides, Amazon doesn't have the 90mm model. Also, I think a 5-speed Sturmey offers more versatility. Extra low gear, extra top gear - and it also comes in 70 or 90mm drum.

If you haven't been to Sturmey's website, check it out:

Sturmey Archer

Greybeard

Feb 8, 2011
Sequim WA
I'm not sure if the Shimano is available with a brake. However, one drawback to it is that 1st gear is 1-1, and the rest are overdrive if I have read the specs correctly. The Sturmey's have 1st as underdrive, 2nd is 1-1, and 3rd is overdrive. As you get into the Sturmey's with more gears, the middle gear is 1-1. The problem with some bikes is to find a sprocket big enough to gear all those overdrives down enough to use them.
Sturmey does have one box, the "fixie", with 3rd being the 1-1 ratio. It can be equiped with a freewheel, but no brakes. I kind of like the 1-1 top gear because it means that when everything is locked up, it shouldn't build heat like a gearbox does when the gears and internal bearings are turning.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
here is a Shimano Nexus 3-speed hub w/disc brake......this is what's going on the tandem build and the gear ratio starts at 12.22:1 with the rear bottom bracket jackshaft i'm fabbing for it. This will allow the bike to climb very well and upshift to some ridiculously high speeds.

The Nexus has the coaster brake model and a band brake (they call a 'roller brake') model as well...

Product

Product

Nexus

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Thank you both for your input. I'm thinking about how to do this economically and not necessarily for the ultimate set up. I need to be able to get up hills, then be on my way and when cruising give the engine something of a break by running at a lower RPM. Having a low gear for climbing is essential. I want for the three speed to be adequate for money reasons. I'm also thinking that with the 70mm hub I may be able to use a standard HD coaster brake wheel from bike world usa (I have a few around already) delace one, paint the rim while it is off (the chrome is poor on these and does not hold up well) and then relace it with the three speed hub. That would get me off pretty cheaply. I find that buying 12 gauge spokes is not all that easy and not cheap.
I may try it anyway to see how a poor boy can get by. For my purposes the Sturmey Archer looks like a safe bet. Most of my braking is up front anyway, and I am no speedster, so the 70mm should be OK. Scotto, what kind of price are we looking at for the Nexus 3 speed with band brake? I couldn't find anything on pricing. The Sturmey Archer is around $75.00 from Amazon. Thanks, you guys.
SB

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
i'm using the S/A 3sp w/drum on my cafe build and the S/A dyno/drum on the front. got them both for $150 shiped on amazon. haven't tried it yet under motor power but don't expect any trouble. they look more period correct for an old school build than a disc hub to me.

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
i'm using the S/A 3sp w/drum on my cafe build and the S/A dyno/drum on the front. got them both for $150 shiped on amazon. haven't tried it yet under motor power but don't expect any trouble. they look more period correct for an old school build than a disc hub to me.
Looks like a good combination to me. What are you using for rims and where are you getting your spokes? 10 & 5/8", is that the length your using? But not if you're running 24's on your build. I can't remember. Mine will be 26" wheels and I want to use 12 gauge spokes. Thanks Cam,
SB

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I have a setup similiar to camlifter, my front hub is a Sturmey X-FDD. I used Weinmann DH-39 wheels, which as I said before, I had delaced and relaced with the hub. The wheels already had 12GA spokes. Unfortunately, Amazon doesn't have these excellent wheels anymore.

These should work tho. Just get 2 front wheels:

Amazon.com: Wheel Master Front Bicycle Wheel 26 x 2.125 36H, Steel, Bolt On, Silver: Sports & Outdoors
I've used these and have a couple, but will that spoke length work on the drum hubs or did the shop have to either alter or replace them with different spokes? It would be a good source of both rims and spokes if they will lace up without alteration. The wheels are stout, but the chrome does not hold up well. I may try shooting them with clear coat to see if that helps, and if not, then paint them. The price is right.... as buying spokes separately would cost more than the whole wheel.
SB

silverbear

Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
The spokes worked fine, in fact, their pattern was upgraded to 4-cross since the Sturmey's hub was larger. A great side effect! :D
That explains it then. Excellent... looks like a working plan to me. For roughly $200.00 and a little labor you can have a 3 speed internally geared drum hub with a drum hub up front that has a built in dynamo on new rims with heavy duty spokes. I call that a bargain!
SB

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
not sure what brand the rims are, just some wide 24s i had. used 225mm spokes from danscomp.com, had to use 14g as i couldn't find any 12g in that length. dans is one of those shops that seends goddies in the box. ordered from him 3 times now and always get a shick M5 razor with the order.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Thank you both for your input. I'm thinking about how to do this economically and not necessarily for the ultimate set up. I need to be able to get up hills, then be on my way and when cruising give the engine something of a break by running at a lower RPM. Having a low gear for climbing is essential. I want for the three speed to be adequate for money reasons. I'm also thinking that with the 70mm hub I may be able to use a standard HD coaster brake wheel from bike world usa (I have a few around already) delace one, paint the rim while it is off (the chrome is poor on these and does not hold up well) and then relace it with the three speed hub. That would get me off pretty cheaply. I find that buying 12 gauge spokes is not all that easy and not cheap.
I may try it anyway to see how a poor boy can get by. For my purposes the Sturmey Archer looks like a safe bet. Most of my braking is up front anyway, and I am no speedster, so the 70mm should be OK. Scotto, what kind of price are we looking at for the Nexus 3 speed with band brake? I couldn't find anything on pricing. The Sturmey Archer is around $75.00 from Amazon. Thanks, you guys.
SB
The Nexus 3-spd w/band brake I've seen from $50-70 brand new, the disc-brake like I'm getting is around $100. We are going to run the Sturmey 90mm drum up front on the Suzuki fork.

d_gizzle

May 29, 2012
ARDMORE,OK
Scotto,did the nexus hub work well under pressure? I would like to use that hub for a washing machine scooter. Is that the one you blew racing?