2nd Annual Midwest Motorized Bicycle Cruise 2016

GoldenMotor.com

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Sounds like a fantastic idea, but I wouldn't be paying for one! Make them give it to ya and have them sponsor the meet ha! I'd be more inclined to buy from someone who sponsored us!
If we get enough participants I might be inclined to seek out sponsorship for our event, but my brother and I own a Masonry business and we would both find it worthy to help to do a small part to help sponsor the event. Would like to see our event grow a bit each year and to be able to step the event up a notch every year.
Motorbicycling is a great hobby and it only makes it better for us all when we gain new participants in the hobby. Hopefully our little events might inspire someone to get involved.

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Imagine a motorized bicycle 'camping weekend'. That actually sounds like a lot of fun.

The only trouble I can see is that this is the Mid-West, after all. So it's likely to be either Biblical flood type rains or a Sun that feels like a Martian death-ray.

(Last night, for instance we got the gully-washer rains. And then today we got the death ray. Why, oh why did I settle here?)

Oh, well........

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Easy. Just bring a raincoat and sun block.
And it ain't just the midwest, Blue. We're in the middle of a late monsoon season. Death ray sunshine and torrential rain all within an hour. That was today in Denver.

In fact, ask anyone who lives anywhere and they'll probably say the same about their weather. "Don't like the weather? Just give it an hour. It'll change" I grew up in south Florida and that was the standard response to weather related comments. :)

Tom

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
We are off to a good to a good start with respondents who have shown interest in participating in next years ride. At this point we have at least 11 people on this site and a few off site who have shown interest in possibly attending this event.. with some of those who have already stated they are most probably going to attend this event. So I am feeling real good about our chances for a good turnout next year so long as the weather is in our favor.
If you have a cruising buddy be sure to invite him or her to come along as well. Please help to get the word out. The more the merrier I say. Lets make it a day to remember and a day to come together and celebrate this great hobby of motorbicycling.

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Tom

I am thinking maybe we might use the pavilion at the Riverside park next year. My brother is the city maintenance man...so I know I can get him to open up the restrooms for that date. Its a huge pavilion with plenty of room to not only park people, but it would also be a great cover for bikes in case of a sprinkle or two. Might work out much nicer then my small patio/deck and canopy at my house.
Having it at the Riverside park in a more traveled area would also give more folks the opportunity to stop by and appreciate the neat bikes.

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Tom

Yea it might be best to meet at my place since several of you guys already know how to get here. Then we could maybe do supper in the park after cruise or perhaps we could just have a yard gathering at my place. Whatever works best for you guys will work good for me and yes I am certain my restroom is more sanitary and peaceful then the one you might find at the park.LOL

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
This is starting to sound more like a 'National Event'!

I was involved with a National Event with a truck forum that I'm part of. Had the event just outside of Kansas City --- the closest to the center of the US. There were quite a few Canadian members that also attended.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The National Street Rod Association has one major national event but there are a number of regional events during the year. The regionals are geographically scattered around so everyone has a chance to attend at least one or some of them. Then the big one is moved around, usually somewhere in the midwest.

I don't know what that has to do with anything except wouldn't it be cool to one day have a big national gathering of motorized bicycle builders? Can you imagine two or three thousand bikes converging on a fairgrounds or a big camp ground somewhere?

Back in the 70s custom vans were popular and they did the same thing. One camp site would hold four vans. We could probably squeeze in twenty or more bikes.......

I'm rambling, and dreaming. Sorry.

Tom

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
I believe that motorbicycling has a real shot at becoming much larger then it currently is if government regulations and restrictive laws don't shut it down before it has a chance to blossom. What always strikes me is that there is absolutely no lack of interest when we are out riding our motor assisted bicycles. People always coming up to me and I am sure many of you as well...inquiring about your ride like it is the first time they have ever heard of or seen such a cool machine. Where did you get that....what does it cost.....is it legal....how fast does it go, etc. etc. etc..?
So I think it is entirely possible that there could eventually be some large meets at some point in time if we continue to promote the hobby by getting out and about and sharing what we know about our rides with others and as long as the laws don't quash us before we even get going.
So our little meet ups and events serve a purpose of not only to have fun, but it also helps to plant seeds in fertile minds that someday may sprout a fantastic and wonderful garden.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Bravo. Well said, Ray.

I hand out business cards to everyone who asks about my bikes. Maybe if they do the research and are serious about building a motorized bicycle our numbers will continue to grow. I know there are quite a few of us who use cards to promote the hobby.

There was an old thread about the possibility of forming an organization. Nothing ever came of it that I'm aware of but the discussion was there. I'll see if I can find it.

The NMBA? Haha. Just as long as they don't charge fees to join and sell themselves to the aftermarket suppliers, it might be a good thing.

Tom

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Ray is gonna be like Bilbo Baggins when all the dwarves showed up at his house.......
There wasn't a Mrs Baggins around to settle them down. They wouldn''t get by with that at my house as there is a Mrs to grab them and drag them around by the ear. So bring em on I say!laff

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Looking good! High compression head on there now? You'll be passing me with all your new goodies!
Pulls the hills a bit better, but the restrictive poo poo style exhaust I like to run holds me back I am sure. However...I am content to be an old slow poke now that I am older and slower to recover if I were to take a spill. I still don't think I could ever come close to passing that rocket of yours.

ckangaroo70

May 13, 2011
Central Illinois
Looks like a Whizzer now :)

That's such a cool, clean looking bike. I sure enjoyed riding next to it.

Tom
Thanks Tom. Took a 20 mile ride this morning with my brother and his new bike. Only gripe I have about the tank I just mounted is that it is so wide that sometimes your knees can get into the sides of it when pedaling. I am thinking the 3L tank would have been perfect, but I will stick with the 4L tank and enjoy the capacity and just have to hold my knees out a bit more while pedaling. Not too big a deal, but just something I didn't consider.

YesImLDS

Jun 29, 2013
Columbia, Missouri
Pulls the hills a bit better, but the restrictive poo poo style exhaust I like to run holds me back I am sure. However...I am content to be an old slow poke now that I am older and slower to recover if I were to take a spill. I still don't think I could ever come close to passing that rocket of yours.
I'll have to come prepared with a 44T sprocket this next time! Need to actually do some work on the bike, but the car is getting loads of money at the moment. Failed Missouri inspection for registration due to a outer tie rod. That's a cheap and easy fix, just need to get the struts changed out due to it being 12 years old.