29 inch Genesis Onex - 4 stroke Huashengtaishan Sky Hawk

GoldenMotor.com

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
Re: 29 inch Genesis Onex - 4 stroke Huashengtaishan Skay Hawk

Oh yeah, there's also these. Had to get some lights since I'm on it all the time now. Took me forever to figure out where to put that sticker, but it fits well.

Attachments

Last edited:

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Re: 29 inch Genesis Onex - 4 stroke Huashengtaishan Skay Hawk

This should have been done when it was built, but I intended to sell it and wanted to keep the price as low as I could.

Barb insert
Shut off valve
Filter
Box of 10 clamps

$27.00

I just walked to the hardware store next door, you could get that stuff cheaper.

Attachments

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Schwalbe Big Apple tires 28x2.15, were an exceedingly good fit on this 29er. Non folding tire (has a wire in the bead), were easier to mount than almost any other tire I have ever mounted- no tools required! Weird. A newer local bicycle shop ( we have almost a dozen) said they couldn't sell these because nobody wanted skinny balloon tires. Marked down from 59 to 45 bucks a piece- score!
Had to add a front break. I salvaged this off of a childs Mongoose. The cable is borrowed from my Haro 2-banger until I buy one and some pads. This brake has almost zero effect right now.

PS- Those tyres are kewl!

Attachments

Last edited:

Jim C

Jul 11, 2010
Long Beach Calif
I used the same bike and built it with a 49 cc HS 4 stroke motor and the cent. clutch. It never worked well the 29 inch wheels make the gearing too tall and the little 49cc motor couldn't get it going. I am as of now installing a 80 cc 2 stroke in it and will use the 49 cc in a 26 inch bike. I have built a beautiful bike that has turned into a workshop queen.

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Jim, I know the feeling. It took a while to get used to the slow take off on this thing, but as it has broken in, it is actually just fine. No need to pedal at all. With the new tires, the ride has improved significantly, and so has my average speed! Waay too fast.
You could start a build thread on that shop queen... I'm sure everyone would like to see some pics, try and help you spend your money and all that. :)

egjsc

Jun 8, 2015
Oxnard,CA
Nice! Looks really clean.. wish I still had my 4stroke build, got stolen 3rd time i rode it! Not even a full tank ran through it yet. Needless to say, ALOT learned from that horrible experience.

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine
Jim C, what was your final drive gear on your 29er? Did you try any larger sprockets with the 49cc?

Trey, is that pic showing the front brake with the cable hooked up or disconnected? It looks like that cable comes off the brake and loops around down the down tube? Or am I seeing that wrong?

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
You are seeing it right my friend. It's a cable from a 2-banger I had sitting around and it is way too long. I thought for sure it would drive me crazy and I'd replace it quickly, but it hasn't bothered me a bit... so there it stays.
It is connected, but for what reason I have no idea, it doesn't stop the bike:) I really need some new pads...

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Inflated the Big Apple tires to 50psi a couple days ago. Very hard ride on any surface that's not smooth. I had them under-inflated for a better ride, which worked, but lower than I believed- 30psi.

Of note; These tires will accept up to 60psi. At 50psi, they rub the stock fender. I was able to adjust it out JUST enough, do to the nut/bolt fastener I've used on the fender brackets.

Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
Love the bike! This is one I would like to build for myself. This bike with 24x3 wheels and tires, 3 inch cranks, Sturmey S3x hub as a jackshaft, drag bars like yours and I think it would be an awesome ride. Also had thoughts of a 700c front wheel with a skinny tire for kind of the muscle chopper look. I build a lot of bikes in my head ha ha it's really cool to see yours in real life.

caoboy

Sep 3, 2015
modesto
Any updates on this bike? I have 29er as well...working on a 2 stroke..but I have a feelin' I'm eventually going to upgrade to a reliable 4 stroke.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
You are seeing it right my friend. It's a cable from a 2-banger I had sitting around and it is way too long. I thought for sure it would drive me crazy and I'd replace it quickly, but it hasn't bothered me a bit... so there it stays.
It is connected, but for what reason I have no idea, it doesn't stop the bike:) I really need some new pads...
Nice to see you still around Trey, I have always enjoyed reading your posts.
Cable sizing is actually easy with the right tool.
A cable cutter, (go figure right?)
Here are a few.
http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&ke...wo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=c&ref=pd_sl_7ta2fk646r_b_p2

You can cut the outer black sheath to the length you want so it fits nice, then cut off any excess inner cable after the brake is installed and working, same for the clutch and actually any cable other then a 2-stroke throttle as is has a nub on both ends.

I have all but quit building new 2-stroke bikes, I am into electric and 4-strokes shifters now.
The kind of builds with a Grand as the baseline price really fun stuff I think you would enjoy building and be pretty good at as they do take some ingenuity which is the fun part.

I even got some specialty parts made dude, and opened an E-store!
Heck it's easier to build complicated bikes than try to run a store, but it is easier on the old body as my keyboard fingers still work well hehe ;-}

---

For the most recent poster, the trick to using a Genesis bike with an odd spoke count is go with the 7-speed and build a shifter.

It's not cheap, but sure makes for a rewarding ride on a ~$200 bike which is rare.

That build sports a 53cc HS 144F-1G 4-stroke and KC's Kruisers 10G long shaft, 5:1 reduction belt drive, for a direct jackshafting shifter base.

It doesn't matter how many spokes their are or how wide wide the rear wheel is, the pedal side always aligns and that's what this system ties into.

Cool huh?

http://motorbicycling.com//www.pinterest.com/pin/create/extension/

Last edited:

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
KC, are you just using some couplers to 'extend' the gas tank threads?

(sorry to thread jack Trey)
Ya, they are called stand-off's, metric about 1" long.
That gives you 1/2" threads for the tank studs thread and 1/2" bolt from the treads up.

I like to just cut the tank studs off to ~1/2" long and lock tight the stand-off to them, then use bolts coming up to fit but you can go the other way too.
In short they just turn your stud into a nut with substantial thread for long bolts.

caoboy

Sep 3, 2015
modesto
Cool thanks for the info. I believe I have seen something like that at the local hardware store. I was just going to take some 24ish gauge sheet metal and make some straps out of them. I might still do that, as it will cost me $free.99