#25 Chain & HF 52CC WaterPump

GoldenMotor.com

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
Got a good deal online on a new 10 foot length of Hitachi #25 roller chain. Got it, and it looks.............................small. Got a good deal as well on a very hard sprocket that meshes with the chain.

Planned engine to use: Harbor Freight 52CC WaterPump Engine.

Was wondering if anyone had any experience in using #25 roller chain as an engine drive chain? Do you think it would be strong enough to handle the load. I have run #410 BMX chain with this engine and had no problems with breakage, but this chain is smaller.

Would like to get input before wasting my time. Your input or ideas? Thanks,

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
Too be honest, I don't think it will be strong enough....that's the same size chain that is used on Gopeds. It will work, but I doubt for very long before you break it. But you have 10' of it right? Just carry a spare chain and some masterlinks and a chainbreaker and you'll prolly be fine. I wouldn't use it myself, just sayin'.

professor

Oct 14, 2009
Buffalo ny area
I am using #25 chain on the jackshaft to the 3 speed SA hub that drives the rear sprocket ( in essence 2 jackshafts).
Belt drive to that first jackshaft and no problem at all.
I can tell you this- the 25 chain is amazingly quiet compared to the racket a bike chain in that location makes. I tried both.
Only issue I see is sprocket selection.
Using that chain on the engine would reduce the load it sees compared to my set-up.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
I am using #25 chain on the jackshaft to the 3 speed SA hub that drives the rear sprocket ( in essence 2 jackshafts).
Belt drive to that first jackshaft and no problem at all.
I can tell you this- the 25 chain is amazingly quiet compared to the racket a bike chain in that location makes. I tried both.
Only issue I see is sprocket selection.
Using that chain on the engine would reduce the load it sees compared to my set-up.
Are you running a 52cc powerplant? Didn't think so. Running a 52cc with no jackshaft will turn that size chain into a broken one, shortly.

bowljoman

Aug 7, 2010
Wa
Are you running a 52cc powerplant? Didn't think so. Running a 52cc with no jackshaft will turn that size chain into a broken one, shortly.
B.S.

I'm speaking from experience. both #25 and #25h can take a 52cc motor for well over a thousand miles before wearing out. As I recall, I got about 1500 before I considered changing mine. It wont break, It'll just elongate and wear the sprockets. You can find 52cc motors sold with #25 chain alll dayyyy longgg..

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
B.S.

I'm speaking from experience. both #25 and #25h can take a 52cc motor for well over a thousand miles before wearing out. As I recall, I got about 1500 before I considered changing mine. It wont break, It'll just elongate and wear the sprockets. You can find 52cc motors sold with #25 chain alll dayyyy longgg..
Well good for you, I know nothing of what I speak......we'll see.;) Goped chain.....8mm is stronger than #25, I wouldn't use either on a bike unless I weighed 65lbs. It will work just fine on your builds. I'll stick to #41 thanks.

Last edited:

bowljoman

Aug 7, 2010
Wa
Well I did have a 52cc power plant and I did run #25 chain, and what you said is incorrect.

You can also get a reducer and put on a #40/#410 sprocket on it if you are concerned about it.

Fancy scooters sells the sprocket. Don't be discouraged if all you have is #25.

Albula vulpes

Mar 16, 2010
FL
Thanks for your input and ideas....................................

In fly fishing, your weakest link is your tippet. It is the lightest lb. test right before the fly. It is designed to break first, so you don't leave a fish dragging a mono-fishingline mess around if you loose the fish. It should also break before you break your rod or spool your reel.

I had a poorly designed staton gearbox malfunction on me. The gears stripped, and the clutch drum shaft broke. It was one of his earlier designs and many improvements have been made since. I still would not shell out my hard earned dough though and pay full price for one of his current/improved models though in light of the experience I had.

Not sure what I'm going to do yet........................................

Maybe it would be best if the #25 chain was used like tippet in fly fishing. (a sacrificial link)that way, if it breaks......................all one has to do is........................put on a new length of chain.

It might not be a bad idea making the #25 chain the weakest link.(thus It would break first before stripping out any gears, and breaking internal gearbox components) Thus eliminating a complete hassle from trying to get replacement parts from the gearbox's manufacturer.

Either that or sell the chain on a goped forum.

Thanks for your experience.

scotto-

Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
It might not be a bad idea making the #25 chain the weakest link.(thus It would break first before stripping out any gears, and breaking internal gearbox components) Thus eliminating a complete hassle from trying to get replacement parts from the gearbox's manufacturer.
I think for that application it will work just fine....just make up some spares as you have 10' of it.

Otero

Feb 1, 2010
wa
chain schmain! just put a performance carb on it and rip your spokes out.
(har har}