2010 Specialized HardRock

GoldenMotor.com

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
I run a vintage 1988 RockHopper Comp in a tiny 16.5" frame, bought it new when I was in college... I also have a vintage StumpJumper that has a larger frame, at my age the smaller one was getting hard to ride so I had set it aside in favor of the larger bike. The little one was for riding more aggressive trails, these days I am usually on a road or path...
Even after I motorized the little 16.5" it was still kinda small and uncomfortable to ride, so I got a laid back seat post and some BMX bars very similar to yours. After setting the seat back and the bars up the ride is really comfortable...
Your bike looks pretty sweet... Cheers!

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
And I swapped over my bars to some BMX bars. I hope it makes long rides more comfortable.
Someone asked me about mounting my BMX bars, sorry i forgot who you were.

The bars are off a kids 16" dumpster bmx bike that i found. I even cut them to make them narrower. They just felt too wide and were wider then the stock straight bar so i cut them to the same size as the original.

Yes, this bike has 1" (22.4mm) bars and the bmx bars are 7/8. In order to mount them I had to make some shims.

You can buy handle bar shims for about $10, but i just make my own using a old aluminium set of bars.

For the shims I just cut the bars the correct width then cut them in half. This allows you to use one on each side.

http://motorbicycling.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=59332&d=1368105151on this photo you can see the shims I used to mount the bars.

And no, I've never had any bars come loose on me yet.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Lovin' the bike, But I'm interested on how you went with mounting the sprocket on the rear wheel... It looks like it might be a little hard for me.
I'm using the top hat adapter, it took about 6 hours of cutting, grinding, swearing, and throwing my hands in the air saying "it will never work".

But, I just kept at it until i finally made it work.

Running out the door for work but here is some mock up photos i took as i was trying to get it all together.

Attachments

Last edited:

nightcruiser

Mar 25, 2011
USA
Nice setup for the sprocket and disk brake....
I got rid of the chain tensioner all together on my bike and ride without one, made a huge difference in my ride. Much less noise and much less resistance when pedaling. I do run a #41 chain (which hasn't "stretched" or otherwise elongated after nearly 2,000 miles), those were two of the best decisions I've made with my motorized bicycle.

Gawdzahh

Feb 11, 2013
Perth, Western Australia
I'm using the top hat adapter, it took about 6 hours of cutting, grinding, swearing, and throwing my hands in the air saying "it will never work".

But, I just kept at it until i finally made it work.

Running out the door for work but here is some mock up photos i took as i was trying to get it all together.
Ah yeah, I looked into a top hat adapter but that will work out to about $90 so I'm just thinking of going with a shift kit.

webbee

Aug 22, 2008
I just read this thread and WOW that is one trim bike! It's apparent that at the start, the secret is the frame. You've really improvered an already great bike. I love the lines. Can we have some whole bike side shots that show the new bars installed?

I hope those tires are going back. That's poor manufacturing. Looks like a compound miss match between the tread and sidewall rubber, which hasn't bonded together in the mold. Now you find out how well Continental stands by their product, because the retailer probably will pass the buck.

Have you done the trip? Sounds like a great and interesting ride. Do we get to see "vacation photos"?

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Can we have some whole bike side shots that show the new bars installed?
Have not taken any side photos yet other then whats been posted already of the new BMX bars. When i get some time I will take better photos and post them up.

I hope those tires are going back. That's poor manufacturing. Looks like a compound miss match between the tread and sidewall rubber, which hasn't bonded together in the mold. Now you find out how well Continental stands by their product, because the retailer probably will pass the buck.
Don't know if its a problem? All my tires dry rot here in the AZ desert, I was just surprised it happened so soon with my new tires. They must be old and sat on a shelf for a long time and dried up before i bought them.

Have you done the trip? Sounds like a great and interesting ride. Do we get to see "vacation photos"?
No have not had the time to make such a long ride. I still plan on that ride as soon as i can.

But i did a 1/4 of that ride yesterday to Medera Canyon, you can also see photos of the new bmx bars here http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=47172

Last edited:

webbee

Aug 22, 2008
Took a look at the trip photos and those bars look great. More comfortable too I bet. Your ride just keeps getting better!

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Went for a nice ride around the University of Arizona, stopped at the bicycle church and Pat's for a few chili dogs before I went home.

Parked my bike when I arrived home, like half an hour later went back outside just to see my carb dumping all my fuel on the ground.

The float is adjusted correctly and their is no junk in it. For some reason lately my float gets stuck more and more.

Attachments

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Didn't you shut the petcock? That's what they are there for! :p
Yeah I know, I thought I was going for another ride so i did not bother. Besides, it should not leak even if the valve is left open.

I think something is wearing down in my carb, the float keeps getting stuck now. It gets cocked in their and i have to whack my carb bowl to loosen it up.

Don't know how many more taps my fuel bowl will take before it breaks.

My BMX handlebars...

It's great for those long rides way more comfortable. But, off road they suck! It makes it much harder to lift the front wheel when needed. When I jump my bike, I have to use a lot of energy and force to keep my front wheel from dropping.

It also feels like I am in less control with the bmx bars versus the straight bars if that makes sense.

Using the stock straight bars, when the front wheel would start to wash out you would feel it right away and can counter act it. With the BMX bars, there is like a delay in the input from the bike. By the time I feel the front wheel washing out I am already way into it making it harder to get out of.

Pedaling is more difficult as well especially sitting down. I find myself having to stand up to pedal a lot more with the BMX bars.

I'm gonna keep my BMX bars on for now, but I am starting to sway back to the straight MTB bars.

Last edited:

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
June was the last time I even touched the HardRock since my last ride http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=49323

Its been collecting dust with two flats and the rear wheel removed just the way I left it when I had to hide it along side of the road and hike back to my truck.

Today I put it up on the stand. I have no desire to ride it, but might as well get some tubes in it and ready just in case I do.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I think something is wearing down in my carb, the float keeps getting stuck now. It gets cocked in their and i have to whack my carb bowl to loosen it up.

Don't know how many more taps my fuel bowl will take before it breaks.
After replacing the float and tab, thanks to 2doors suggestion I next changed the float tube and that solved my problem.