1973 20" schwinn stingray build carb clearance issue

GoldenMotor.com

Joshsheesley90

Nov 18, 2014
Youngstown ohio
Alright.... so im starting a new build from a 1973 schwinn stingray. i know that it can be done. but clearance for the carburetor is becoming an issue. i think its because of the shape of the intake manifold.

does anyone have any advice as to how i can get the clearance to make it fit.
or should i flaten the top of the air filter?:-||

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
Hey Josh,

Yes, a 20" schwinn stingray is a small package to fit a motor in. I will never forget that model of bike. It's the first one I owned, with a metallic green paint job, sparkly white banana seat, and short ape hangers.

Anyway, regarding making the carb fit. I guess you have two choices, alter the intake manifold, or alter the air filter. Altering the intake manifold would probably mean finding a suitable piece of bent pipe (like a section cut from an old handlebar) and then welding on flanges for the carb and engine block.

If you can get the engine to fit with the carb attached and no air filter, then it would probably be easier to fashion a new air filter.

As always, pictures of your build would be very helpful in getting some fabrication feedback. There are a lot of smart people on the forum.

Gilbert

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
If you're stuck for tools, you can easily extend a stock manifold by sawing it in half and adding a chunk of heater hose to allow carb repositioning. Just be sure to support the weight of the carb wherever it ends up.

Joshsheesley90

Nov 18, 2014
Youngstown ohio
sorry for some reason my phone was having trouble sending my images last night but here are a few pics of the build as it is starting. im waiting on ups to drop off the black engine kit for it sometime today.the engine on it is just for test fitting to see what problems i will run into.
photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo.JPG

this is a "customers" bike. meaning i built mine and a buddy of mine wanted 1 so now here i am building his 73 stingray. he likes the "rat" look and will probably just clear over the frame as it sits. i will keep everyone posted as we move along. thanks for all your help and suggestions. if any1 has done this bike b4 and has some extensive knowledge as to is im doing something wrong. please let me know. :-||

Last edited:

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.
Josh- I'm Trey, and extensive knowledge I have not, but all the advice so far is spot on.
"Need it. Make it. Got it." is my motto, but you could buy something just as well. I do suggest you add a small amount of dieelectric grease to the inside of the spark plug boot, to avoid the possibility of shock.
Looks awesome so far, Good luck!

Joshsheesley90

Nov 18, 2014
Youngstown ohio
so just an up date. i think i got eveything figured out as far as the carb fitment. once we pulled the crank we were able to get the carb to fit. i already figured when i was test fitting that i was gonna need a wider crank. but with the motor sitting where it is there is no room for the sprocket on the crank. my buddy and i are looking to get into maybe a 25 tooth bmx sprocket on the crank to make room just to get the motor started. but no word yet as to when we would order it.but here is a few pics of the progress. we added some high rise handlebars and the front end from a 26" huffy. thanks for all of your help and i love the suggestions. and all the more would be welcomedance1

Attachments

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
so just an up date. i think i got eveything figured out as far as the carb fitment. once we pulled the crank we were able to get the carb to fit. i already figured when i was test fitting that i was gonna need a wider crank. but with the motor sitting where it is there is no room for the sprocket on the crank. my buddy and i are looking to get into maybe a 25 tooth bmx sprocket on the crank to make room just to get the motor started. but no word yet as to when we would order it.but here is a few pics of the progress. we added some high rise handlebars and the front end from a 26" huffy. thanks for all of your help and i love the suggestions. and all the more would be welcomedance1
I found a good source of tiny sprockets was kids bikes. My WCC chopper needed a smaller crank sprocket and I found one on a kids Tonka bike. Bolted right on and was free.