1916 Taylar Indian

GoldenMotor.com

itchybird

Nov 4, 2009
SF Bay Area.
That's a real nice looking guard. Too bad the GX motors don't have the flat mount pads like this GC motor. There is so much more performance potential in the GX motors though, it would make for a heck of ride paired with that nice little Albion three speed.

The GC should still do pretty well with gears. This is a real nice build.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Thanks! Itchy you are so right but it is a customers bike and since he's not into the speedy racey thing he requested a bike with a GC 160 QHA 1 and later he will add his own mikuni carb just for a more stable fuel flow. I've ridden the GC 160 and they really do have more power then you might think, with the gears you definitely will get more performance since the rev ratio is a tad bit lower then the GX200.
The one thing that really gets me smiling is if you set a pic of a 1916 Indian next to it nothing is different except the engine and drive components.
Now that Albion was completely gone through and let me tell ya they do live up to the legend of being virtually bulletproof, that tranny was as if it had never been used but then again it didn't come with a history profile either.
Thanks! again for the props Itchy, I'll pass the appreciation on to Dan

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Well a couple of progress pic's of the Big Indian
Front leaf springs & legs
Handle bars lengthened and internal throttle
Tank and tool box
Fenders will be modified and duck tail deleted

Attachments

Heretic

Mar 13, 2013
burlington vt
Wicked frick'n nice. I try to learn something from everyone. and you have more to teach then most. Speaking of, how'd you do that spring. what grade steel, and did you need to temper it. And do you do any math for travel or force. or just trial and error. Took my bike with the girder front end for a test run and she bottoms out. not real bad but enuf for me to notice so i'll be doing something.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
That's a bike from Big Bear Choppers that has had a fork change out and 23" front wheel now shems have to be made for the rear wheel 12" x 18" tire. (edited correct size for rear tire)

I'm sorry about the particulars on the big Indian forks, I'm signing off and getting in the car to go meet Velodrome in the AZ (Arizona, seriously!)be back in a few days

Last edited:

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
OK here is what I know about the forks......
Don't know what grade metal was used, they will be double heat treated/tempered, the math was done and Dan built the forks from a vintage blue print.
Saw the forks last Fri and they are awesome! I'll try to get more technical info so be patient.

buba

Jul 2, 2010
los angeles
wanting to add my 2 cents to the drama issue

i sense that a lot of forum participants would like to see how to make some cash out of this fun activity

i have always felt there is power in numbers and cooperation and a merging of talents can lead to the greatest unimagined sucess in all realms
unfortunately most people are too ego sensitive and just do not get it!!!

to their own demise and dissatisfaction
once upon a time given nyu film school 72 and american film institute 82 i could have created an entity not unlike tristar films and certainly miramax but for the fact that the individuals i sought to involve at the time just did not get --power in numbers with complimentary skill sets ---never happened for me or for them only their own demise ie marty brest gigli??? and others who never actualized their dreams and exercised their skills to the fullest

saw 2 AFI classmates create propaganda films do michael jackson´s videos and so much more and their feature films etc they did it!!! polygram gave them each many millions of dollars early on for a piece of propaganda films -- living the beverly hills 2 acre estate life in the late 80´s

the message is!!! perhaps some cooperation and cross pollinization may serve any and all interested in said enterprise(s)

let your mind soar !!! and do not limit your mentality --- grow it!!!

Last edited:

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Well said Buba, Collaboration/merging of the mind's to produce a product is wonderful but a lass some people as you've mentioned "Don't get it!" I feel sorry that their potential will never become a reality.

I hate Drama but some thrive on it, drama really doesn't hold a valid place in 99.9 percent of your daily activity so I try to stay out of it, sometimes it's un-avoidable and that's a shame!

Velodrome

May 27, 2011
Phoenix-ish
Attempting to get this thread back on track. Is he going to make a springer front end with a split fender? Also when possible; I'd love to see a good shot of how he made the motor plate and mounted it.

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Yes leaf spring front end with split fender and full fender for the rear, refer to post #26 for fender it is just set on top of the wheel but the duck tail will be deleted up to the skirts then utilizing another fender for the top extension

Last edited:

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Ok usually the leaf springs are made with 1015 spring steel how ever kinda hard to get ahold of out here so cold rolled steel was used and as I said will be heat treated twice, 3/16" 16 gauge material was used to make the leaf's.

Will try to get some more pic's soon.

Last edited:

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Dan Does Some absolutely FANTASTIC! work, three sets of these front fork's are currently in production, one set will be for my new build but that's a little ways off yet as the parts box grows larger and we have a few builds to finish up Oh! and yes an Indian He! He! He!

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
Me Too! Me Too! Brother, Dan is truly an artist No Doubt about it! I'll get to fully check it tomorrow when I go out there.