1914 Indian Single

GoldenMotor.com

Bikesnfire

Jul 17, 2010
PA
Just finished this bike for a customer/friend of mine yesterday. He took it home to add a few more minor details. The throttle is on the left side as the Indians were at that time. The suicide clutch lever is designed in such a way that it can be engaged one of two ways. It can be bumped with the knee to let it engage while keeping both hands on the bars, or it can be disengaged using the right hand. Motor is RAW 66/80. The lights still have to be hooked up to some sort of battery system not yet decided upon. The bike was a 1955 Columbia that was stored in a barn since 1959. It was a major basked case when it arrived at my shop. No fenders, no tank, and rusty.

The gas tank was made from steel and then covered with fiberglass mat to build it closer to the desired shape. Finally bondo was used to get the final shape and finish. The exhaust was made using old handlebars and welding them together. Having worked in an autobody shop years ago and also doing blacksmithng in addition to my bicycle repair business all helped in getting this project completed.

Attachments

Bikesnfire

Jul 17, 2010
PA
The fork is the bike's original. I added the support stuts. It's a very solid and smooth riding bike. Almost no vibration. The engine only has a few miles on it, but it has plenty of torque. I can't wait to see how it runs once it's broken in.

ruppster

Mar 3, 2010
maine
That's a really nice build! Nice proportions, not over done and it looks to be very functional and most important of all nice workmanship. Is the shift lever functional or just for looks?

Bikesnfire

Jul 17, 2010
PA
That's a really nice build! Nice proportions, not over done and it looks to be very functional and most important of all nice workmanship. Is the shift lever functional or just for looks?
Yes, the clutch lever is fully functional. At first it could only be engaged by hand. But after watching my friend take his first test ride, I modified it so that he could bump it with his knee to engage it or else use his hand. That first ride was like a kid just learning to ride. Whole lotta shakin going on with only one hand on the handlebars. Also, thanks everyone for the kind words. I you have anymore questions, just ask. I learned alot from this forum and am willing to share whatever I can.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Nice to see a Columbia brought back to life. What stock did you use in making the drop stand? Did you weld some sort of extension at the dropouts for mounting it? Good looking bike!
SB

ruppster

Mar 3, 2010
maine
He says it is functional.
ooops, gotta work on my reading skills. I really like everything about the bike. It looks like it was factory made but the tail light stands out to me for some reason. I mean that in a good way,did you make it?

Last edited:

Bikesnfire

Jul 17, 2010
PA
Nice to see a Columbia brought back to life. What stock did you use in making the drop stand? Did you weld some sort of extension at the dropouts for mounting it? Good looking bike!

I used 1/8 x 1'' stock for the stand. It supports the bike fine without the rider. If the rider would want to sit on the bike while on the stand to pedal start, it wouldn't be very stable. I'd probably go with 1/4 x 1" then,. I did weld small extensions on the rear of the dropouts. I would have liked to take more close-up detailed pictures but my friend couldn't wait to hit the road with it. He is supposed to come back in the near future dressed in his early riding outfit. I'm planning on getting more pics then.

Bikesnfire

Jul 17, 2010
PA
ooops, gotta work on my reading skills. I really like everything about the bike. It looks like it was factory made but the tail light stands out to me for some reason. I mean that in a good way,did you make it?
The tail light came straight out of my junk factory. I took an empty mushroom tin can for the body, cut a red lens from some stained glass and have the glass held in place with 3 thin brass rods. The bracket holding it on is a modified bicycle rear reflector bracket. The bulb socket sticking out the back is from a 1956 Ford. Hi tech, huh?

ruppster

Mar 3, 2010
maine
Nicely done! I had to laugh when you said your friend couldn't wait to hit the road with it. I rode to different peoples houses that are near by mostly family and they all laughed at me when I rolled up. I talked most of them into trying out the bike and the shortest ride any of them took was 15 minutes. The longest was gone long enough that I went inside and had supper with his family while it got dark out. They still laughed after but for different reasons. You can't have more fun going slow than on one of these bikes.

Bikesnfire

Jul 17, 2010
PA
They definitely are fun and the deeper you get into this hobby, the more fun they become. It's a constant, "now what can I do to my bike today". These bikes have definitely altered my sleep pattern. lol