1912 Excelsior Tribute

GoldenMotor.com

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Belt would of worked if it was all in front on Dan at the build. ..so I sent measurements to him and explain what I was doing . So my bad was not send Dan a sheave, belt and pullies. my wheels etc. The drive was all in my foggy head! Not in front of Dan,Not good. But it’s all good now!

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Well ...If I were to put a stock 212 on it I would probably be set. But Noooooo I had to mill and port the head, 28 degree timing ,cam 22:confused: lb springs bl bla blah . Its to much. It was to much for the belts and apparently to much for a the #41 chain . Bike engages at 2900 rpms so rode around today keeping it cool. All was smooth until I goosed it ....twisted chain and sprocket .

Attachments

Tom from Rubicon

Apr 4, 2016
Rubicon, Wisconsin
Just how true is your chain line Keith? More photos may be useful for diagnosis. Catastrophic chain failure is not an accident. Your belt drive had a lot of alignment forgiveness. As you know, chain not so much.
That is why my Flyer has not hit the road yet. You know I did similar mods to a 79cc. Your 212cc has to be close to if not more than 22hp. My second engine caused me to readjust primary drive chain line again. Different out put shaft? Likely.
Second magnified look at drive sprocket shows 3/8--16 FHCS backed out alot, and is the drive sprocket bent?
Was that what caused the chain twist?
Lotta chit going on.
Tom

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Tom the one thing I overlooked was High engine rpm at all the time.. I mean your up to 6000 grand going 15mph lol . It engages at 2900.

The failure was the chain. I look back and remember removing a pin and thinking wow that was easy. No kidding it’s junk .It’s a #41 Not made in American. I’ve been riding it for 2 days.Took it out today drove about 1/2 mile away from home.Took a wide turn and gave it some good throttle as I came out of the turn I hammered it. Chain bent itself and the sprocket. I did the walk of shame......lol
As for alignment lazer lever and straight edge straight.Chain had perfect slack I checked before I left for the ride.

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
My front drive from clutch is a #420 and it’s fine. You may be right. Ihave to pull back the cash $$ for know so that means I’m putting belt back on . Tom you get the belt again!, lol just from the js back. The sprocket bolts are tight. This sprocket bolt holes are not counter sunk so that’s the look.

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Looks good, like Rick said no matter the drive. Glad you are able to drive it now............Curt
Very nice work motomagz
Thanks guys ..I appreciate it

So doing this alittle different this time.Going to go chain from 10t clutch to 32t js then js 4” pulley on to whizzer sheave15”. I ordered a ax77 belt in order to allow tensioner to push up higher on belt to get more of a wrap on the 4” pulley. Everything is pretty much set .Need to trim fender due to new wider wheels and tires.Thinking now with the new 2900 rpm s engagement and a longer belt it’s going to work. Before belts were slipping but that wasn’t my only problem. The clutch really wasn’t doing much.

Bob53

Jan 8, 2015
Cleveland, OK
Het brother, missed you and the bike at Portland this time. Didn't miss much. The weather called for heavy storms Fri. People start leaving Thur nite. Fri nite it looked like a ghost town. Sorry about all the trouble. You'll sort it all out. Besides with chain drive it will be even more bad ass and you can use all the power you worked so hard to make. Bob

MotoMagz

Aug 2, 2010
Michigan
Het brother, missed you and the bike at Portland this time. Didn't miss much. The weather called for heavy storms Fri. People start leaving Thur nite. Fri nite it looked like a ghost town. Sorry about all the trouble. You'll sort it all out. Besides with chain drive it will be even more bad ass and you can use all the power you worked so hard to make. Bob
Hey Bob miss seen ya guys at Portland I had prior plans. The bike is going back to belt....lol cuz I broke the chain and rear sprocket.Im very close to it working.
The thing nobody will say on the Vmbc site is The meet really starts Sunday and ends Thursday. You can’t go there on Friday or Saturday and expect to see a crowd. By Thursday night you see them leaving. Why cuz they have been there Since Sunday sometimes earlier. They do there deals early In the week. So if it’s a deal it’s gone 3 days before the meet starts. While I’m complaining The Kids ! the parents think they can just let them loose on a motor vehicle. Do you do that at home?. But I still enjoy seeing everyone . See ya next year Bob!