Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 08-27-2016, 04:25 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Default Re: Help?!

So I seem to have clutch issues all figured out. Still breaking the motor in. I am now running 6oz/gal non-synthetic oil per the supplier's (Ozark Cruisers) insistence.

Riding today... Ride going well. Finally really got warmed up and started to run as well as it ever has. Went down a long, slight hill and picked up good speed and rpm. At bottom of incline the motor started spitting and missing. it slowed down a good bit and then recovered some. I tried loosening the gas cap with no change. I got home ok but motor never began to run normal again. Checked plug (NKG) and found it to show dark oil on it but it did not look terribly fowled. But it definitely is not the really clean looking plug you get when a motor that has the appropriate oil mix. I can not see air getting in gas line and loosening the cap makes no difference so I am ASSUMING that it is not starving for gas?

Any ideas?
Old 08-27-2016, 07:52 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

I like 4oz oil per gallon (32:1), so it might be fouled a bit. Many short runs can do that too when motor doesn't fully warm up to burn deposits out.

Never hurts to try a fresh plug.
Old 08-27-2016, 07:59 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

So you like 4oz for break in?
Old 08-28-2016, 12:47 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

that is harder to say these days

some motors out there still seem to need 40 to 100 miles for break in, while the ones I was getting only took about a mile or so to get to good power and another 20 or 30 miles to get to full speed

on mine, I started using only a pint of 16:1 to get it going, then fill with 32:1 thereafter - some motors may still benefit from two tanks (1 gallon) of 16:1 before switching to 32:1

since your plug may be fouling, I'm guessing you have 40 or more miles on the motor - if not, then it might be that you are way too rich in fuel/air mixture