Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 09-14-2014, 10:07 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: What's Your Bike Worth

Buying a motorized bike is cheating yourself no matter how cheap you get it.
No pride of workmanship, no idea where it all came from or how it all works..
You might save money but you're missing out on knowledge and satisfaction.
I'd rather do it myself. Then it's really mine.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:56 PM
Old, Fat, and still faster than you

The simple fact of life here in Memphis is no matter WHAT it cost you in time and parts to build, it's worth about $400 come time to sell it.
That's why I build cheap stock kits. No point in building anything quality here.
I don't build anything I don't want to keep....just in case.
If more is better, then too much is just enough.
If you can't afford it, build it yourself.
Old 09-17-2014, 06:39 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

I got mine for $45 (Australian dollars) off a bloke who was not very mechanically able. The chain tensioner had bent in towards the spokes because of all the force. The chain had fallen off and gone between the spokes and the frame, causing the back to lock up. Since I hav lots of old bikes I put new spokes in the back wheel, and my dad made a bar to stop the tensioner from bending in. Then a few months later after getting a flat tire, I was putting the tensioner back on when I stripped the thread of the main bolt. Ended up waiting two weeks for a new tensioner. $17 got be back on the road, even though all I needed was one bolt. It was the bolt for the plastic pulley though. Ive since spent $15 on a puncture resistant rear tube, and thats about it. I wouldnt sell my bike for $400. I got it for a bargain, only spending $77 all year!
Old 09-17-2014, 08:16 PM

I build mine on the cheap too but I do tend to put a lot of time into the engines and the frames to make sure they're strong and reliable. The one I ride I probably got about $500 or so invested in since I bought the bike at a pawn shop for $70 then gota kit off ebay for $139, then a Fred head, and finally a Dax bottom end... and I also bought a better front end since I didn't like those springy cheap shocks that come on those cheap mountainbikes... Since this one isn't for sale there's a ton of labor involved which I couldn't even think about adding into the price if it was for sale, but the ones I see for sale around here go for around $500 to $700 for a basic cruiser bike with an ebay kit installed... Usually the bike is a WalMart special that costs around $120 or so and the kits they use are the standard ebay kits with no extras or upgrades.
Old 09-18-2014, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by Rudz View Post
I don't care what they say, that's my dream bike
It is the customers dream bike as well, he picked out all the bike parts and mailed them to me in boxes from the bare frame up.

I said it before and I'll say it again, a bike is worth what someone is willing to pay to get what they want.

The trick budding builders is show people there are more options than an e-bay engine on a Huffy.
KC's Krusiers Builds

Last edited by KCvale; 09-18-2014 at 09:31 AM.