Brake Light, How To Do It???

GoldenMotor.com

fredgold52

Dec 3, 2009
Illinois
I'm an Illinois resident, so I have to deal with all the retarded laws this state comes up with. My 49cc 4 stroke is rated at 2 HP, which is one more than it can be under the new law. So I'm thinking I will build and license the MB as a Moped. To do that I will need mirrors and lights including a brake light.

Has anyone built a brake light that works with caliper brakes? If so, could you tell me how you did it?

Thanks,
Fred

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Here's one way. I used a very small micro switch with a roller on the arm mounted to a handmade bracket. The brake lever depresses the arm and closes the switch. Has worked well for many miles.
Radio Shack might have switches like this but a good electrical component supplier would be the best option.
Good luck.
Tom

Attachments

POPS

Sep 8, 2008
Vancouver Island BC .Canada
I used the same micro switch and I found it on ebay. It comes with a real cheep chinese signal light ,brake light ,tail light,horn combo. All I did was cut off the switch and used a Honda rebel tail light.

POPS

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
I wired mine to my clutch lever. I tapped a hole for a screw thread the same pitch as the threaded shaft on the switch. The switch is on when the button is let out. The hole I tapped is opposite to the clutch lever and above the cable. When I let go the lever, the backside of it pushes the switch in and shuts off my brake light. It works right every time.
Do it carefully and do it right and you will have a professional job. You should be able to do something similar to either clutch lever or brake lever. Do your best, though. Brake lights are something you want to have working every time.

P.S. - Just because I'm paranoid, my brake light is on an isolated circuit powered by a really bright LED and a 9v battery. I carry a spare battery, bulb, and some test leads in my trunk for emergency repair.

Last edited:

BigBlue

Nov 29, 2011
California
thegnu,

thanks for the link. That is an awesome find and cheap.

Here's an option that I was considering. Using a simple nylon dowels and connectors. Someone on Ebay sells them. I am not affiliated or used the product. I guess Cushman and minibikes used this method.

in the cable brake like switch Cushman Simplex scooter | eBay

Here's a picture I gleaned from the Internet with an installation:
http://motorbicycling.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=44136&stc=1&d=1327083413

I also considered using a Royal Enfield switch:
http://motorbicycling.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=44137&stc=1&d=1327083694

Good Luck,

Chris
AKA: BigBlue

Attachments

thegnu

Sep 15, 2011
freedom pa
the cushman dosent look very reliable , an the one on the enfeild is a older version of the link I sent . if it was my decision I would use the enfeild design it works every time . brake lights , you want to work every time . .trk

fredgold52

Dec 3, 2009
Illinois
WOW! You guys are impressive. Great ideas here. I don't have disc brakes, just the old style caliper ones. Those little Chinese switches look like what I need for this. Also, for more bucks, there's the Maxxon wireless light which claims to operate on wii technology.

Thanks for all your input.
Fred