Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Whizzer Motorized Bicycles

Whizzer Motorized Bicycles Whizzer motorized bicycles are still produced today and are one of the oldest motor bikes around. Share some of your stories about this timeless classic with us today

Breather

Whizzer motorized bicycles are still produced today and are one of the oldest motor bikes around. Share some of your stories about this timeless classic with us today

Old 11-28-2011, 11:21 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Angry Breather

My hot rod NE5 blowes out all its oil. I'm told this can be fixed with a tall breather set up from hardware parts. What is the best fix for this?
Thanks, Jim
Old 11-29-2011, 10:05 PM

Default Re: Breather

jim on my whizzers the breather tube is up by the seat with what looks like a pcv at the end
Old 11-30-2011, 11:33 AM

Cool Re: Breather

That is sort of the way mine is too. Black rubber hose with a screen in the end. That is where all the oil blows out. I've seen what is called a tall breather on e-bay. It looks like a canister or something. Debbie at Whizzer USA said they can be made from hardware store parts but she didn't say how or what.
Thank,s Jim
Old 12-01-2011, 09:02 PM

8oz of 40 wt is all you need. i don't know but you should not have that kind of blowby. could be too much oil or to lite like 10-40wt i think mason man [ray] had a problem with too many oil holes in the piston. pm him he's always willing to help and knows alot more than i do about whizzers. [i think he has 100 of them]
Old 12-02-2011, 12:15 PM

Thanks for the info Dmb. Quenton built the engine for me a few years ago. I asked him to do everything he could to make it go fast. He did, I have no complaints there. The thing is scary at full throttle. At the end of a 50 mile ride there was maybe an oz left in the case. I'm thinking it has a little compression on the down stroke forceing the oil out of the tube. I need to figure out how to recover it so that it drains back into the case.
Old 12-03-2011, 01:04 AM

yea 1 oz could be hard on the rod bearing. maybe a second breather off the side cover to releave crankcase pressure thats trying to push all the oil out. [my subaru at 20 lbs boost trys to do the same thing]
Old 12-03-2011, 10:00 AM

Sounds like that would work. There is definitely too much pressure in there. The oil blows out of the breather tube and gets all over me and the bike.
I have the same problem with my other Whizzer. On that one I used ¼” sprinkler drip tube and ran it under the rear fender along with the wires and it drips off the tip of the fender. No mess that way but I have to keep a close eye on the oil level. I can’t do that on the hot rod because the rear fender is chopped.
Today I’m thinking if I used some kind of canister with holes in the top and a felt filter inside to keep the oil from blowing through the holes and hooking the breather tube to the bottom. The oil should drain back into the case at low RPM that way. I just wonder where the oil would be at full throttle. I need to get this resolved before the Grange race in April. I missed the last one and I really want to race this thing.
Thanks to Quenton, this is the fastest Whizzer I’ve ever been on.
Old 12-03-2011, 11:35 PM

Hi OG-Whizzerdude, have you tried 2 oz. of Lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer with 4 oz. of 40 wt. oil. I've used this since 1999. I also use 100 octane gas from 76. does your cylinder have the air oil seperator that Quenton develope. none of my whizzers use anything but the rubber hose, no oil purging, one has the 22mm carb with 85 main jet and 26mm carb with 125 main jet.i'll post some pics of the air oil seperator with a WC-1 and NE.

Ray
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2759.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	240.4 KB
ID:	42793   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2760.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	220.6 KB
ID:	42795  
Old 12-03-2011, 11:51 PM

have you ran this problem past quenton? i'm sure he's had this happen before. the breather/catch tank is a good idea, but the oil needs to be in the motor to help cooling and of course oiling. puke tanks have been around forever but you cant run a dry sump with out a oil pump that i know of.excluding total loss oil system. good luck dennis nice pic's ray.

Last edited by dmb; 12-03-2011 at 11:55 PM.
Old 12-04-2011, 09:46 AM
Dealer

The problem is due to a poor design and the crankcase can't vent correctly. None of my current collection of bikes blow oil out. When I first started increasing the RPMs the pressure built up and could empty the crankcase in about 15 miles at full throttle.

The vintage motors had a cavity at the upper rear of the crankcase and a breather to reduce the pressure. When the new edition motor was designed........some idiot in Taiwan didn't understand the theory of liquid pressure. He thought reducing the size of the cavity would help the case vent, but in fact it made the pressure very high.

When the NE cylinder was developed a hole was placed at the base of the tappet cavity and now allows the crankshaft to sling the oil directly into the chamber. It doesn’t take long to fill the area and start pumping the oil out the vent hose. Once the oil starts to vent it creates a siphon effect and can purge the entire crankcase in a short period of time.

I have developed many fixes over the last several years, and the Taiwan vendor reproduced some, but he always had to put his "spin" on the concept and always managed to goof it up.

The object is to separate the air from the oil, and have the oil return to the crankcase.

Here are all the fixes.........First the hole in the base gasket must be reduced. I use a WC-1 gasket and cut a slot to open only half of the hole, reducing the amount of oil sprayed into the tappet cavity. I also make a special aluminum tube to make the oil hit the top of the lifter cavity [approx. 1/8" from the top]. I then drill 2 small holes at the base of the tube to allow the oil to drain back into the crankcase. The last and most effective fix is to make an external breather. The external vent should be 6" long and 1" O.D. You can use PVC tubing and glue to make the cylinder. Install a nipple at the bottom of the tube and attach the hose from the compression release cover [used on the NE motors]. If you have the WC-1 cover, drill and tap it to install a fitting to attach the hose. Next fill the tube with COURSE pot scrubber material [don't use steel wool as the vendor in Taiwan did]. Next install a PCV valve in the top of the tube to cause it to pulse. The pulsing causes the air and oil to separate and allow the air to escape.

It is also important to note the vintage motors had cam ground pistons and were NOT round. The round piston on the new edition motors causes "blow-by", but can be controlled by the breather system.

I guess I will need to start making breathers to help solve the problem.

Have fun,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-053F.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	23.7 KB
ID:	42806   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-597F.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	42807   Click image for larger version

Name:	MVC-055F.jpg