Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle Welcome Forum > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself Meet & greet your fellow motorized bicyclists, make introductions and even find others in your area.

Old 05-17-2011, 12:41 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie
Cool New guy with basic questions

Hey everyone, I have recently become very interested in turning my 26" Mongoose Sahara into a motorized bicycle but I have no experience with it so I have a few basic questions. If all you experts out there could answer them and give me some advice that would be great. Keep in mind my main reason for going with a motorized bicycle is because it is cheaper than a car, so as far as parts go I'm looking for cost-efficiency.

1. Are there certain kinds of tires I should get?
2. What is a good motor under 50cc?
3. Should I start out with a 2-stroke or a 4-stroke?
4. Do I need better brakes than the standard ones that come with the bike?
5. What is your best estimate for the total $ investment in this?

That's all I can think of for now. If you have any other wit and wisdom for me I'd appreciate it. Thanks!
Old 05-17-2011, 12:58 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: New guy with basic questions

Welcome to the forum, Tay!

1) Just about any regular bicycle tires will work fine. MaBs are still bicycles! You might want to run heavy-duty tubes, liner, and/or Slime to prevent flats tho. It's a little more work to fix a tire on a MaB.

2, 3) I'd recommend a Honda GXH50 or Huasheng 4-stroke, myself. They cost more than 2-strokes, but are cheaper to run in the long run. They don't require oil mix, use less fuel, and are more reliable for long rides.

4) You can never have brakes that are too good! Your existing MTB brakes might be just fine, as long as you keep it under 30MPH. I recommend investing in some quality brake pads, tho.

5) Kits run anywhere from $150 for a 2-stroke "chinagirl" to $600 for a 4-stroke with EZM Q-matic. All depends on what you get. Generally, you get what you pay for. Some people here have $300 total cost in their MaB, and some over $1500 lol...cough

brakes, money, motor, questions, tires