Preparing for first build

GoldenMotor.com

Eerie Eric

May 9, 2011
Wisconsin
Great site! I found this forum last night and stayed up way to late going over all the info here, I'd really like to become a part of this community.

I got my hands on a Schwinn Stingray chopper, and I'm having problems deciding on the best engine to go with it. I'm trying to find an 100+cc engine and a 3-5 speed gearbox with a suicide shifter, that can be mounted without altering the frame, if possible.

I saw a very sweet looking chopper built by Crazy horse here and I'd like a setup similar to that. I don't plan on spending more than $1,000 on the project.

And the original seat is very uncomfortable, any recommendations on seats I could sit on for more than a few minutes?

Would the cops harass me if the end result looks to much like a motorcycle? And would I get tickets for riding at highway speeds on it?

Two engines I'm looking at right now:
LIFAN 125cc
110cc with semi-auto 3 speed and reverse

Last edited:

Eerie Eric

May 9, 2011
Wisconsin
Quick update, I plan on going with the Lifan 125 cc engine/gearbox, cutting out the seat post to make room, and buying a 20inch dirtbike rim because I don't think the original will take the abuse, which seems like a solid setup. I'm not that savvy with gear ratios, if someone could give me some advice on choosing a rear tire sprocket that would be great!

I'm going to register it as a motorcycle if I can, so that I won't be bothered for taking it on highways, I'm calling the DMV tomorrow to see what modifications need to be done to register it.

Eerie Eric

May 9, 2011
Wisconsin
Not the freeway, highways where the speed limits are lower, you need at least a 250cc bike to get on a freeway, there's no way it could maintain speeds 65+ mph.

Although I saw a guy riding his bicycle on the freeway just this week, he must have missed the big sign telling him to stay off, he was on the left hand side with a big smile on his face. =p

Last edited: