Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 07-02-2014, 11:41 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

Today me and the baby (my little tool fetcher haha. We're working on her hand tool recognition right now) anyway we removed an old sprocket. Then we made an aluminum bushing for the hub and installed a sprocket adapter and smaller 36T. We broke a few links off the chain and adjusted the tensioner, and gave her a spin. Oh and tightened the rear brake.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:11 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

So I put together a speed version of the China Girl for a guy that paid me $1.600 for the bike and motor. Grubee 66cc, expansion chamber, Delorta SHA carb, Arrow Cycles high compression head from billit alum. with extra big fins for better cooling, ported cylinder and polished piston. I was supposed to deliver it on 6-29. I ended up ordering some parts i needed to finish it from Piston Bikes. Drive sprocket cover, clutch pads new spark plug cap. I ordered them on the 25th shipped 2 day through USPS priority mail. They confirmed that the order shipped on the 26th. The order didn't arrive and I had to give the guy the money back. In truth, he ended up to be kind of a jerk and I'm glad now that I didn't sell it to him. It's a really sweet machine( about 4.5 hp instead of 1.5. I called Piston Bike and the guy says" dude, I didn't send your order, I'll get it out today or tomorrow" I expressed some dissatisfaction to which he replied, "ah man, I don't have to listen to this. Complain to my boss. He's not here though. Then he hung up. The Arrow parts and service are always flawless. Piston Bike though has given me problems on 5 out of 8 orders. What I did today was get the parts from King Motor Bikes, install them and I fired up the new bike and after a few adjustment( changed Jet) adjusted brakes. It was awsome. I really get a kick out of getting a 66cc motor to put out this kind of horse power. Tommorow I'm going to start on another bike like the last one but with a reed carb set up and a 29er with Titanium alloy frame that weighs only 8.5 lbs. It will have a fiberglass tank and seat. I'll let you know how it turns out. Going for 9 hp.
Old 07-03-2014, 01:44 PM

Big G that sounds awesome. Someday I hope to have your skills. Sorry to hear about your customer service issues tho, people are so rude. Especially since it was the companies fault not your own.

Today I didn't do much to my ride except crash it. First crash I have had motor-bicycling.

You know those blue barrels filled with cement, weighing around 400 lbs? Well as I was pulling into work I saw a bunch and decided to ride between two of them. At the last second I noticed there was a steel cable spanning between them and got clotheslined from my ride at 35mph. (which in itself is awesome cause that means I have brought this build from 19mph to 35mph in the last few weeks ) When I crashed I pulled two of those barrels down with me so you know I hit HARD.

Luckily my bike is fine, just a few scratches from what I can see. I survived with a dented left arm, aching knee, messed up right hand and a little ankle pain. The hand part is my least favorite since I work with computers/lasers, so my index finger and thumb are my main tools! But yeah, overall it was still a great ride, bike ran smooth, and meds kicked in so I feel pretty dang good. And lucky it was so minor it could've been much worse
Old 07-03-2014, 03:32 PM

Talking Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyclin View Post
Big G that sounds awesome. Someday I hope to have your skills. Sorry to hear about your customer service issues tho, people are so rude. Especially since it was the companies fault not your own.

Today I didn't do much to my ride except crash it. First crash I have had motor-bicycling.

You know those blue barrels filled with cement, weighing around 400 lbs? Well as I was pulling into work I saw a bunch and decided to ride between two of them. At the last second I noticed there was a steel cable spanning between them and got clotheslined from my ride at 35mph. (which in itself is awesome cause that means I have brought this build from 19mph to 35mph in the last few weeks ) When I crashed I pulled two of those barrels down with me so you know I hit HARD.

Luckily my bike is fine, just a few scratches from what I can see. I survived with a dented left arm, aching knee, messed up right hand and a little ankle pain. The hand part is my least favorite since I work with computers/lasers, so my index finger and thumb are my main tools! But yeah, overall it was still a great ride, bike ran smooth, and meds kicked in so I feel pretty dang good. And lucky it was so minor it could've been much worse
Things like that happen often here in Texas to us country boys, best way to know when one of us is fixing to get hurt like that is when you hear someone say " Hey.. Ya'll watch this...!" ya know a Red Neck is fixing to bleed or get busted up in some way....LOL!

Main thing here is just glad you're OK, that could have been real ugly!

Map
Old 07-03-2014, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapbike View Post
Things like that happen often here in Texas to us country boys, best way to know when one of us is fixing to get hurt like that is when you hear someone say " Hey.. Ya'll watch this...!" ya know a Red Neck is fixing to bleed or get busted up in some way....LOL!

Main thing here is just glad you're OK, that could have been real ugly!

Map
Yeah it could've been way worse. Luckily my jacket helped and I was wearing gloves so most of the damage was minimized. Woke me up faster than coffee thats for sure haha.

And yup it happened right when I decided "Oh hey that looks like fun". I actually just rode her home on lunch and she made it no problems, although I will need to replace the mirror that shattered in the crash. Drove the car back from lunch, even those low vibrations on the ride home were killer on my aches.

If I get around to it today I will be cleaning my old DAX RT carb and installing it. Will have to tune in over the weekend wen my hand feels a bit better but I'm excited to get back to work on it

Old 07-03-2014, 07:57 PM

excellent.... Yeah I have a few thing that have to be done this weekend but I plan to do some much needed work on one of my bikes and some tinkering on two others if time permits. gonna put a new top end on one engine and I made a deal today to meet a fella tomorrow and Im gonna buy two full suspension mountain bikes from him for $30 each, I dont care a thing about the frames but they both uave many other parts and pieces I can use.

map
Old 07-03-2014, 10:16 PM

Glad to hear you're ok after that crash... I know exactly what you mean by seeing something and thinking "this looks like fun" .. or Hey everybody... Watch This" ... Anyway, glad you're ok and the bike is still ok.

Good deal on the mountainbikes Map... You think like I do... I'm not interested in the bikes, but look at all those good parts I can harvest from them... lol

For me, I got my Girvin Noleen front end installed on mine and since it's a trailing axle type fork, the back of the front tire is about an inch further back than it was with the original suspension fork and the tire just rubs on my expansion chamber pipe so I'm going to cut about 3/4" section out of the header and weld it back up so I'll have my tire clearance back.
Also, my Morini Dual Variated engine came in today so I'll be looking for a large frame bike to put it in and was thinking about that large aluminum frame 29er that Walmart sells, but I'll have to get some measurements before I buy, it also came with a genuine Dellorto SHA 14 14 carb so I may take my CNS carb off the HT engine and see how the Dellorto does on it, then if it works good I'll keep it on there and buy the 21mm manifold and carb for the Morini engine since I'll be upgrading it with the 70cc kit before I install it in anything.
Old 07-03-2014, 10:25 PM

Just a quick word on this Morini engine I got from Treatland... When it got here it was very well packaged so it seemed like forever I was cutting thru tape, cardboard, foam, and bubble wrap before I saw there was an engine somewhere in there... A+ on the packaging.
The engine it's self, I was wondering about since there's very little info on the net about this one and Treatland is the only place I've seen one for sale... at least a complete one that's not missing a lot of parts... I was wondering if these were new or new old stock etc, but they're rebuilt so the bottom ends look nice and new but the cylinder and head looks like it's over 30 years old, but in excellent condition, I removed the clutch cover and it has brand new variators and a new belt so no worries there.
this thing does have some size and width compared to a China Girl so it definitely won't be replacing my HT engine in that bike, but I may buy another cruiser with a large frame or a steel frame mountainbike that I can cut out the lower tube and make one that'll cradle this engine. this project I'll spend more time on the assembly since modifying a frame looks mandatory, but I'll take lots of pics on the way and start a thread to post progress as I go.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:17 PM

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with Dave.
Old 07-05-2014, 05:43 PM
Resident Mad Scientist

Didn't do much more to ol' Tempus except ride it. But if I can at all manage it, at the next income tax refund I plan to pick up a "donor" motorcycle to work on and plan my three-wheel cyclecar project around. A vintage Honda 350 or 400 twin would be perfect given the torque and horsepower they have for their size and weight.
Reason for 3-wheel car project: age and pain. I wasn't a spring chicken when I had my accident in 2010. I can pedal a standard bicycle for about ten minutes before my knee and hip become unbearable. With a motorbike, since I only needed to pedal from start or very slow speeds, I usually could ride much further and longer. But lately, even pedaling from a start on level ground sends twinges of pain up my leg after about the third or fourth down stroke. I take Tylenol before rides now, and I'm concerned about needing to.

"There is nothing wrong with wanting a motorbike that is an extension of your personal taste and fashion sense; if you must ride somewhere, I say do it with style!"

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner