Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 12-25-2013, 02:44 PM
Staff

Default Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

So cool GN! When I was in school, the instructor was showing us a Bridgeport mill. To change tool speed/gear ratio, you turn a dial. He had no idea why I got so excited about that but instead of changing the belt ratio by hand as you would on a drill press, ya dial it. Would work exactly like what your wanting to do.

Dangit, now your gonna beat me to it, eh? lol

Would be wide but perfect for our thing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Sxv-sUYtM
Old 12-25-2013, 02:49 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

This is a true story, my wife used to complain about my " parts" . one day while I was working in the shop she came out to see what I was doing, the first "part" she saw was a old well pump that the motor housing had rusted through and look like crap. She then said why don't you throw that away its nothing but junk, then I came up with the "parts" thing. She got mad and left, only a couple of days later the startup capacitor went out on our pump at about 9:30 on a Saturday night. She was amazed when I use the "part" from that old rusted motor to get the water flowing again. She didn't say I was right but now she rarely complains about my shop.
Old 12-25-2013, 02:54 PM
Staff

Cool story Greg. Ya gotta love when stuff like that happens.

.................................................. ......................................

"my wife used to complain about my parts" Mine still does

Old 12-25-2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
So cool GN! When I was in school, the instructor was showing us a Bridgeport mill. To change tool speed/gear ratio, you turn a dial. He had no idea why I got so excited about that but instead of changing the belt ratio by hand as you would on a drill press, ya dial it. Would work exactly like what your wanting to do.

Dangit, now your gonna beat me to it, eh? lol

Would be wide but perfect for our thing.

Why couldn't you rig up a CVT 'transmission' from an old MTD riding mower? It's just three pulleys with the center pulley having a sliding cone to vary the front to back gearing ratio........ > <> <

Instead of having a chain final drive, it would be a belt.

Or.......do something like the old Snapper riders or old Jacobsen push mowers used. A rubber wheel that moved in or out on a pulley to vary the speed?

Last edited by xseler; 12-25-2013 at 03:08 PM.
Old 12-25-2013, 04:00 PM
Staff

Awesome thought Xman. Repurposing is bigtime the way to go. Already mass produced (Cheap) and gives you a starting point.

Got me thinking. A cone shaped driver, centrifugally actuated by RPM. A CVT but made long and slim for a motorized bicycle.

Old 12-25-2013, 09:26 PM

Had all the family over and friends, took them all on a nice beach ride... 80 degree weather made it nice....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image-3471005985.jpg (638.2 KB, 39 views)
File Type: jpg image-1167516297.jpg (681.8 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg image-3832252899.jpg (608.2 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg image-1479618218.jpg (580.7 KB, 35 views)
Old 12-25-2013, 10:10 PM

I have similar stories about things breaking around the house and fixing them with random left over parts I had laying around. My wife gets it now.

I wanted to ride out to my parents today. My dad is building an awsome
treehouse for my kids and I was helping him with it. But I knew I wouldn't be going home till after dark.
I have been working on it for over a year now, and every time he sees it, it seems to be broken! I think he thinks it never works. Now I have it working great and I want him to see it work finally.
I think we'll have them over Saturday, so I hope it still works then! Lol
Old 12-26-2013, 01:32 PM

"Parts I haven't needed yet". Good one.

I collect any and all 'useful looking' stuff I find.. fasteners, bits of metal, bits of stuff off of machinery.. When we moved to the west coast I had to give up a decade's worth of neat junk and (potentially) useful bits of stuff and start collecting again.

On Topic: I unlocked and rolled out the bikes so I could clean up the workshop/garage, then rolled 'em back in again and locked 'em up. From my last (non-motorized bicycle) project I had sawdust everywhere.

-=-

Any day that starts with a good ride is already a better day, and a bad day riding still beats a good day working.

My Builds: My Beast, Harley59's bike, my Cruiser
Old 12-26-2013, 11:40 PM

today .... i almost died !!!!!!!!!!!!!

yup !

so i am cruising along at a good 35 mph high rpms lots of torque at the peak of my power band when sundenly i hear snap pop and thats when my pedals start whipping around and circles as fast as possable and smash my knees into the handle bars and gastank !!! so i lift my legs and look down and think wooooooh whats going on here, i pull the clutch in and put my feel back on the pedals and then... snap !!!! the pedals stop and so does the rear tire ! i am now doing a 30mph slide in 2 in of snow at 930 at night !!! i slid for about 25 feet and it was the most heart pounding thing that has happend to me in a long time considering i was keeping up with and in traffic !!!!!

i can not believe i did not fall ! srs there must have been an angel holding me up cause there were cars in front and behind me as i was riding in the road and keeping up with regular trafic !

my rear tire was locked up solid and will not move ! had to walk my bike home.

so i get home dragging the bike and dissasemble the whole rear hub, as i am pulling the axle shaft out of the coaste break hub i see the first break shoe fall out then the second falls out ........... well half of the second lol and the other half was cracked off and turned sidways and ground into the hub and locked the wheel up solid ! the damn coaster break shoe snapped in half and turned sideways and destroyed my rear hub !

i will never use a coaster break again !

i decided to run a 7 speed mountain bike cassett and a derailure, i had to seperate my chainstays as they were an inch to close for the 7 speed hub to fit, but with my foot on one side and my hand pulling on the other i was able to seperate the chainstays enough to fit a 7 speed cassett rim ! i got my 44 t rear all bolted up and the 7 speed free wheel on and wow what a differance ! the tire seems t spin so mutch more freely and i love the ability to be able to pedal backwards to regain footing positions !

so basicaly i had to convert my single speed coaster over to a 7 speed mountain bike casset, i dont have the derailure set up yet cause i am not shure if i want to run fron gears or just run the 7 speed in the rear and use a 36t front sprocket, so i have the original chain from the cruiser running to the middle gear of the casset so its tight and i can pedal for now. i will probably just go with the 7 speed and a rear derailure and thats it keep a single 36t sprocket in the front.

i only gave it one test ride with the new setup and wow ! i like being able to pedal backwards and freewheel !!!! and once the derailer is hooked up tomorrow i am going to have one sweet cruiser !

BE WARNED !!!!!! CHEAP COASTER HUBS ARE DANGEROUS !!!!! KEEP A CLOSE EYE ON THEM AND KEEP THEM GREASED UP AND PROPERLY ADJUSTED !!!! IF YOU HEAR IT SQUEAKING OR SQUEALING OR IT FEELS LIKE ITS CATCHING OR DRAGING, STOP !!!!! STOP !!!!! STOP !!!!! DO NOT RIDE IT !!!! TAKE IT APART AND FIX OR REPLACE IT ! A SINGLE BROKEN BREAK SHOE CAN SEND YOU FLYING !!!!! IT WILL LOCK UP YOUR TIRE AND SEND YOU FLYING !!!!! BE WARNED !

Now i have to find a rear break that will fit, i will probably cut the rear v breaks, post tubing and all right off of my junk mountain bike and cut the tubing with the break posts on it and bend it so it fits around my bike frame where it should go to meet up with the rim and then weld the post into place directly on my frame, basicly i am going to weld v break posts directly to my frame. it would make since as i am now using the front HPR shocks that came off that bike and the v breaks that came with it, it would make since to add the matching set of rear v breaks too.

well this beach cruiser just keeps evolving LOL.... front shocks, modded motor, strait bars, and now a 7 speed derailur, next mabey a shift kit ! would love a 7 speed motor bike !

Last edited by rogergendron1; 12-26-2013 at 11:49 PM.
Old 12-26-2013, 11:50 PM
Super Moderator

Glad you did not go down roger!

And yes maintenance on coaster brakes is a must and frequent checks will avoid future problems.

One trick i use is to listen to my hubs using a stethoscope or even a screwdriver. I don't rely on this but it does help me hear if there is a problem or lack of grease between regular greasing and maintenance.

It takes a little practice but after time you can judge if you need to do further maintenance.

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner