Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 12-24-2013, 04:21 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

I took a video of it to share ... how does it sound to you guys? It has the sound dampeners in it now with the sticky tar adhesive gook and foil on the other side!

It was giving me a hard time starting today so darn cold out!!! She eventually fired up !

http://s769.photobucket.com/user/jum...10607.mp4.html
Old 12-24-2013, 05:11 PM

Better post something quick and pass page 666!
Nice sound Very Hardy and cut off was good too no dieseling Good job! how's that head working for ya ?
Old 12-24-2013, 06:43 PM

Yep, sounds great to me. My new motor has that tinny rattle as a comparison. I'm sure you'll like that to ride better.
Old 12-24-2013, 11:36 PM

I like the head t, I think it pulls a lot of the deadly heat away from the lower end I've put almost 700 miles on her since this past October
the motor is a 2009
Old 12-25-2013, 12:20 AM

Replaced a broken clutch lever. The button had popped out of the old one.
Got one this time that is the full length for an easier pull. I soldiered the button part that holds it together this time. Also removed the return spring. Very smooth now!
Then I added a drive side chain guard so my jeans won't get sucked into the gears! The one that comes with the kit broke during its first week of life when I first got the kit almost two years ago.
I built it out of a piece of angle metal that came with something I bought years ago. Most people would have thrown it out, but I knew I'd eventually find a use for it!
Then I changed the pedals for a set that I like better.
It was almost 60 degrees here this afternoon, so I for to enjoy a ride for a little while after work. Running good!
Old 12-25-2013, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by placidscene View Post
. Most people would have thrown it out, but I knew I'd eventually find a use for it!
I'm the exact same way .."I may need that some day " I never toss out anything any It drives my wife bat **** crazy!! my garage and storage shed can attest to that I feel we all " motorized bicycle riders all have similar traits I notice it quite often we are a frugal group to say the least not to mention most of us are very MacGyveristic when it comes to building things heck I even turned an battery operated golf cart into a welder ! Here is a photo of a Dual brake lever I made a few years ago it works beautiful but It could use some paint
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2lever.jpg (336.3 KB, 36 views)
Old 12-25-2013, 02:06 PM
Staff

"MacGyveristic" LOL Jumpa. That is good.

I also have box after crate after piles of odd, weird and have no clue what I am ever gonna do with, parts. And they always come in handy! Not necessarily pretty but am always happy to have em. (when ya need em. up until then, they are junk and in the way)

Ya know, ya just know the day after you throw out that spring from a broken dish washer, ya need that exact spring......

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Sxv-sUYtM
Old 12-25-2013, 02:13 PM

You are so right Dan, the junk in my shop I call "the spare parts that I haven't needed yet".
Old 12-25-2013, 02:31 PM
Staff

LOL! now I gotta label them boxes.

"spare parts that I haven't needed yet"

One of the coolest things I have ever built was a throttle actuator. All from "junk" parts. Funny thing was I did it backwards. So it started with full throttle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post

Removed the governor. Built a really cool and elaborate throttle with great/perfect back tension. It had a pulley wheel guide. It was perfect and looked cool. I finished every thing today and carried the point beach/honda/grubee up from the celler. So dang proud of my self. Then I grabbed the pull cord and had that old fimaliure thought and feeling. "What if it won't start" Imeaditaly followed by; "what if it does" Snork.

It roared to life on the first pull. Then just went full bore. Smoke came from the gear box and the rear tire spun madly. I quickly shut it down. I turned the idle screw down and fired her back up. Same thing.....

Go look up the carb in the manual. Nuton. Look all over the carb and feel with my hands looking for some mechinisum to slow it down. Nuton.

Carol is looking on with great pity and concern and offers to hold the bike while I try to start it again. As I bend to give her a yank (the bike, not Carol), it dawned on me. I fire her up and twist the throttle. She calms right down. My Beautiful and awesome throttle assembly is bassackwards.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Sxv-sUYtM
Old 12-25-2013, 02:32 PM

I had a whole collection of that stuff when I was a teenager. It was all moped and motorcycle parts. When I moved out Dad tossed it all at the dump.
5 Complete Tomos and Motobecane mopeds with DMV papers, and 3 of them ran great, went to the dump. Many boxes of handlebars with controls, voltage regulators, carburetors, lighting, ect., you name it, mostly Honda and Suzuki... gone.
Now that I have my own garage I have started again only it's all random spare parts from clothes washers, microwaves, drill presses, cars, ??? with no clue what they may create in the future.
I still want to make a multi speed belt driven motorized bicycle using the drill press pulleys but I haven't put in any time to figure out a derailleur for the belt.

Does not come with a fortune cookie."

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner