Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 07-04-2013, 01:12 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Or it could be like this:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fAsbm...ature=youtu.be
Old 07-04-2013, 05:59 PM

Last couple of times I rode, I noticed this weird 'squeak/creaking' noise. Tracked it down to the front wheel. Pulled the front wheel off, and the wheel didn't want to rotate on the axle. I never had been into the hub of this wheel, so I just thought that the factory over-tightened the cones.

Well, just to be safe, I removed everything to make sure there was enough grease on the bearings. As I loosened the cone, one of the ball bearings fell out. Hmmm.....bad bearing, I thought. Turns out that Huffy doesn't use a capture collar for their front ball bearings!! They were just loose in there! I guess I'm off to my LBS in the morning to see if I can fit a regular bearing in this hub............I'm assuming that Huffy saved about 10 cents a bike to omit these parts. I guess that the majority of their bikes don't go far enough for people to find this out.............
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 001.JPG (289.9 KB, 32 views)
File Type: jpg 002.JPG (237.9 KB, 32 views)
Old 07-04-2013, 06:05 PM
Old, Fat, and still faster than you

Quote:
Originally Posted by xseler View Post
Last couple of times I rode, I noticed this weird 'squeak/creaking' noise. Tracked it down to the front wheel. Pulled the front wheel off, and the wheel didn't want to rotate on the axle. I never had been into the hub of this wheel, so I just thought that the factory over-tightened the cones.

Well, just to be safe, I removed everything to make sure there was enough grease on the bearings. As I loosened the cone, one of the ball bearings fell out. Hmmm.....bad bearing, I thought. Turns out that Huffy doesn't use a capture collar for their front ball bearings!! They were just loose in there! I guess I'm off to my LBS in the morning to see if I can fit a regular bearing in this hub............I'm assuming that Huffy saved about 10 cents a bike to omit these parts. I guess that the majority of their bikes don't go far enough for people to find this out.............

Unless there WAS a collar that got ground up, not having a retainer is not that big an issue. Some very high quality bike hubs use loose ball bearings. (cant remember names but good stuff)
Opinions vary, but I'd just use them as long as there is no damage to the races or cones.
Old 07-04-2013, 06:06 PM

Quote:

Just curious, what is the year of manufacture on your bike? Mine is a 2011 and I haven't been into the front hub yet, but the bike guy at Academy where I bought it from has. Dunno what all he did...
Old 07-04-2013, 06:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodge dude94 View Post
Just curious, what is the year of manufacture on your bike? Mine is a 2011 and I haven't been into the front hub yet, but the bike guy at Academy where I bought it from has. Dunno what all he did...

I probably got it in 2010 or 2011. It was a Huffy "Big Daddy".

I wonder if I could go to a specialty bearing place and find a sealed roller bearing to fit in the hub......that would certainly be a permanent fix.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:03 PM

Exseler,you might be able to use hollow hub trike bearings. Tractor supply has them in the 'hard to find' drawers in the hardware section. Then you're gonna need an axle for a sealed bearing wheel,such as a Currie electric scooter wheel,12" aluminum alloy wheel for reference. Now if I could remember the bearing size....
Old 07-04-2013, 09:24 PM

Quote:
I probably got it in 2010 or 2011. It was a Huffy "Big Daddy".

I wonder if I could go to a specialty bearing place and find a sealed roller bearing to fit in the hub......that would certainly be a permanent fix.
Well, mine was bought summer of 2011. So I guess I have something nice to look forward to when I freshen that hub.
Old 07-04-2013, 09:42 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

only thing i did for my bike was educate myself, still waiting for my kit. (is it the 9th yet?)
Old 07-04-2013, 09:46 PM

Just bought this: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...692935087.html

SOOOOO EXCITED!!!!! AGHHHHHH
Old 07-04-2013, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moto View Post
Just bought this: http://www.aliexpress.com/store/prod...692935087.html

SOOOOO EXCITED!!!!! AGHHHHHH
what intake do you plan to use and do you have a good source for the cables?

I'm really interested in that carb also.....

Map

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner