Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 11-18-2012, 01:12 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Not really, not like a turbo or anything. It's just a stationary "fan" with an ace bandage and hose clamp over that rubber boot. (see album). The air going over the bike goes straight into that boot though. The idea is to force the air to spin in one direction to prevent pulsing, and pack more air into the carb.

Google intake tornado for cars, it does the same thing.

If you want to see how it works, cut the bottom off a 2 Liter bottle. Cap and fill the bottle. Let it drain (glug glub glub). Do the same thing with the little fan laying in the bottom. (Shoooooooop -empty)

You can get the fan blade off with a big flat blade screwdriver by gently prying and turning from under the center part, and prying the magnet out. They are free in the trash at computer stores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIKTR View Post
Forced air intake?

Last edited by happycheapskate; 11-18-2012 at 01:51 AM.
Old 11-18-2012, 01:29 AM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIKTR View Post
I need to get my hands on a decent welder first
Haha well I'm sure it'll be around when your ready for it

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdaddy View Post
Think MUFFLER SHOP! They weld a little cheaper than the machine shops. I did that for a couple years before I got mine. But ya gotta catch them on a slow day, Otherwise they will charge you up the wazoo.
fatdaddy.
This is a good idea, I did this for a while till I finally ponied up for my harbour freight welder

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycheapskate View Post
Not really, not like a turbo or anything. It's just a stationary "fan" with an ace bandage and hose clamp over that rubber boot. (see album). The air going over the bike goes straight into that boot though. The idea is to force the air to spin in one direction to prevent pulsing, and pack more air into the carb.

Google intake tornado for cars, it does the same thing.

If you want to see how it works, cut the bottom off a 2 Liter bottle. Cap and fill the bottle. Let it drain (glug glub glub). Do the same thing with the little fan laying in the bottom. (Shoooooooop -empty)

You can get the fan blade off with a big flat blade screwdriver by gently prying and turning from under the center part, and prying the magnet out. They are free in the trash at computer stores.
Very interesting, I've seen the ones for cars and figured it was a gimmick of some kind, your analogy of the 2 liter bottom has me thinking twice though...
Old 11-18-2012, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycheapskate View Post
If you peel the round sticker off of the back side of the fan frame it exposes the end of the motor shaft. The shaft is typically secured with a cheap plastic disc that snaps into a groove in the motor shaft. Pick the disc out and the fan blade comes off easily. No prying or gouging, chipping or cracking of the fan blade at all.

Does not come with a fortune cookie."
Old 11-18-2012, 12:02 PM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

@fatdaddy

Thanks for all the advice. I'm gonna be makin' a trip to the parts store soon.

I'm going to use JB Weld to fill the gap on the rear mount, which will hopefully keep the frame from getting cut in half. I'm thinking, perhaps having the muffler U-bolt mount will change the mounting angle enough to straighten the rear mount. We'll have to see. I could really use a smaller crank sprocket. It's got a 7-1/2" on there right now. If that wasn't in the way, the motor would sit just right. I'm thinking about swapping my spacer to the rear mount to see if that would make things better. Whatever I do, I'm not gonna ride until I know I've got everything secure. I don't want to snap another frame.

On another note, I just contacted this guy
( http://louisville.craigslist.org/bar/3417439481.html ) to see what he'd be willing to trade for his nice OCC build. It looks like a 4-stroke. Hopefully he's into guitara and amps, because I've got several nice ones to trade.

I'm pretty sure I've seen him blasting around town. It may not have been him, but it was a similar bike. Same bike or not, I couldn't catch whoever it was. I was on a 30cc FD that couldn't do over 25.

Last edited by BoDean_LP; 11-18-2012 at 12:03 PM. Reason: typos :)
Old 11-18-2012, 02:33 PM

went for a top speed run and hit 50 mph on a relatively flat road. but i will have to confirm that. I have a mechanical speedo.

Last edited by obesepolice; 11-18-2012 at 02:53 PM.
Old 11-18-2012, 06:11 PM

I rode the h*ll outta it today! 100mile ride! It was great backs a little sore but all in fun!
Old 11-19-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by obesepolice View Post
went for a top speed run and hit 50 mph on a relatively flat road. but i will have to confirm that. I have a mechanical speedo.
Dude, I want your mods list!
Old 11-19-2012, 02:11 PM

I lowered my handlebars a couple inches for better handling as well as for looks. I also fixed my chain tensioner, which is on my pedal side. I have trouble sometimes getting it to maintain the proper tension, because the bolt that's supposed to hold it in place is stripped or something and wont come loose. So what I did was, I took another nut and bolt and some washers, and stuck them underneath the idler wheel. I think one of the washers was a little small, and didnt grab right to keep the nut and bolt tight. So today I put a bigger washer on, and it seems fine now.
Old 11-19-2012, 03:50 PM

Arrow Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

http://www.instructables.com/files/d...YOLN.LARGE.jpg

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...le-to-1x1-wit/
I use this on a 1x1 mountain bike, with a coaster brake wheel set that I used to use on a happytime bike.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbutterbean View Post
I lowered my handlebars a couple inches for better handling as well as for looks. I also fixed my chain tensioner, which is on my pedal side. I have trouble sometimes getting it to maintain the proper tension, because the bolt that's supposed to hold it in place is stripped or something and wont come loose. So what I did was, I took another nut and bolt and some washers, and stuck them underneath the idler wheel. I think one of the washers was a little small, and didnt grab right to keep the nut and bolt tight. So today I put a bigger washer on, and it seems fine now.
Old 11-21-2012, 09:36 AM

Bike was running like crap, so I had to replace the exhaust gasket, I also cleaned the head while I was at it.

I also figured out why these things have clutch covers, so you don't get the hem of your pants leg shredded.

Guess I need to get the cover back on.

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner