Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors



Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #4591  
Old 11-18-2012, 01:12 AM
happycheapskate's Avatar
happycheapskate happycheapskate is offline
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rockwall TX
Posts: 1,992
Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Not really, not like a turbo or anything. It's just a stationary "fan" with an ace bandage and hose clamp over that rubber boot. (see album). The air going over the bike goes straight into that boot though. The idea is to force the air to spin in one direction to prevent pulsing, and pack more air into the carb.

Google intake tornado for cars, it does the same thing.

If you want to see how it works, cut the bottom off a 2 Liter bottle. Cap and fill the bottle. Let it drain (glug glub glub). Do the same thing with the little fan laying in the bottom. (Shoooooooop -empty)

You can get the fan blade off with a big flat blade screwdriver by gently prying and turning from under the center part, and prying the magnet out. They are free in the trash at computer stores.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIKTR View Post
Forced air intake?
__________________
1" roller Dax Friction Drive and Tanaka 3300 with mods.

Last edited by happycheapskate; 11-18-2012 at 01:51 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #4592  
Old 11-18-2012, 01:29 AM
lksdG2's Avatar
lksdG2 lksdG2 is offline
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: san diego
Posts: 91
Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIKTR View Post
I need to get my hands on a decent welder first
Haha well I'm sure it'll be around when your ready for it

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdaddy View Post
Think MUFFLER SHOP! They weld a little cheaper than the machine shops. I did that for a couple years before I got mine. But ya gotta catch them on a slow day, Otherwise they will charge you up the wazoo.
fatdaddy.
This is a good idea, I did this for a while till I finally ponied up for my harbour freight welder

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycheapskate View Post
Not really, not like a turbo or anything. It's just a stationary "fan" with an ace bandage and hose clamp over that rubber boot. (see album). The air going over the bike goes straight into that boot though. The idea is to force the air to spin in one direction to prevent pulsing, and pack more air into the carb.

Google intake tornado for cars, it does the same thing.

If you want to see how it works, cut the bottom off a 2 Liter bottle. Cap and fill the bottle. Let it drain (glug glub glub). Do the same thing with the little fan laying in the bottom. (Shoooooooop -empty)

You can get the fan blade off with a big flat blade screwdriver by gently prying and turning from under the center part, and prying the magnet out. They are free in the trash at computer stores.
Very interesting, I've seen the ones for cars and figured it was a gimmick of some kind, your analogy of the 2 liter bottom has me thinking twice though...
Reply With Quote
  #4593  
Old 11-18-2012, 11:42 AM
GearNut's Avatar
GearNut GearNut is offline
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Posts: 5,106
Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycheapskate View Post
You can get the fan blade off with a big flat blade screwdriver by gently prying and turning from under the center part, and prying the magnet out. They are free in the trash at computer stores.
If you peel the round sticker off of the back side of the fan frame it exposes the end of the motor shaft. The shaft is typically secured with a cheap plastic disc that snaps into a groove in the motor shaft. Pick the disc out and the fan blade comes off easily. No prying or gouging, chipping or cracking of the fan blade at all.
__________________
The_Aleman:
"It's a chinagirl. It's a sometimes fun little engine that often will break your heart. It's disposable.

Does not come with a fortune cookie."
________________________
ROTFLMAO!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #4594  
Old 11-18-2012, 12:02 PM
BoDean_LP's Avatar
BoDean_LP BoDean_LP is offline
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Jeffersonville, Indiana
Posts: 84
Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

@fatdaddy

Thanks for all the advice. I'm gonna be makin' a trip to the parts store soon.

I'm going to use JB Weld to fill the gap on the rear mount, which will hopefully keep the frame from getting cut in half. I'm thinking, perhaps having the muffler U-bolt mount will change the mounting angle enough to straighten the rear mount. We'll have to see. I could really use a smaller crank sprocket. It's got a 7-1/2" on there right now. If that wasn't in the way, the motor would sit just right. I'm thinking about swapping my spacer to the rear mount to see if that would make things better. Whatever I do, I'm not gonna ride until I know I've got everything secure. I don't want to snap another frame.

On another note, I just contacted this guy
( http://louisville.craigslist.org/bar/3417439481.html ) to see what he'd be willing to trade for his nice OCC build. It looks like a 4-stroke. Hopefully he's into guitara and amps, because I've got several nice ones to trade.

I'm pretty sure I've seen him blasting around town. It may not have been him, but it was a similar bike. Same bike or not, I couldn't catch whoever it was. I was on a 30cc FD that couldn't do over 25.

Last edited by BoDean_LP; 11-18-2012 at 12:03 PM. Reason: typos :)
Reply With Quote
  #4595  
Old 11-18-2012, 02:33 PM
obesepolice obesepolice is offline
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: irving, texas
Posts: 106
Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

went for a top speed run and hit 50 mph on a relatively flat road. but i will have to confirm that. I have a mechanical speedo.

Last edited by obesepolice; 11-18-2012 at 02:53 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #4596  
Old 11-18-2012, 06:11 PM
2stroker 2stroker is offline
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: orlando
Posts: 168
Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

I rode the h*ll outta it today! 100mile ride! It was great backs a little sore but all in fun!
Reply With Quote
  #4597  
Old 11-19-2012, 10:56 AM
dodge dude94's Avatar
dodge dude94 dodge dude94 is offline
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: East Texas
Posts: 1,017
Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by obesepolice View Post
went for a top speed run and hit 50 mph on a relatively flat road. but i will have to confirm that. I have a mechanical speedo.
Dude, I want your mods list!
Reply With Quote
  #4598  
Old 11-19-2012, 02:11 PM
bigbutterbean bigbutterbean is offline
.
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Lebanon, PA
Posts: 2,420
Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

I lowered my handlebars a couple inches for better handling as well as for looks. I also fixed my chain tensioner, which is on my pedal side. I have trouble sometimes getting it to maintain the proper tension, because the bolt that's supposed to hold it in place is stripped or something and wont come loose. So what I did was, I took another nut and bolt and some washers, and stuck them underneath the idler wheel. I think one of the washers was a little small, and didnt grab right to keep the nut and bolt tight. So today I put a bigger washer on, and it seems fine now.
Reply With Quote
  #4599  
Old 11-19-2012, 03:50 PM
happycheapskate's Avatar
happycheapskate happycheapskate is offline
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Rockwall TX
Posts: 1,992
Arrow Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?


http://www.instructables.com/files/d...YOLN.LARGE.jpg

http://www.instructables.com/id/How-...le-to-1x1-wit/
I use this on a 1x1 mountain bike, with a coaster brake wheel set that I used to use on a happytime bike.


Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbutterbean View Post
I lowered my handlebars a couple inches for better handling as well as for looks. I also fixed my chain tensioner, which is on my pedal side. I have trouble sometimes getting it to maintain the proper tension, because the bolt that's supposed to hold it in place is stripped or something and wont come loose. So what I did was, I took another nut and bolt and some washers, and stuck them underneath the idler wheel. I think one of the washers was a little small, and didnt grab right to keep the nut and bolt tight. So today I put a bigger washer on, and it seems fine now.
__________________
1" roller Dax Friction Drive and Tanaka 3300 with mods.
Reply With Quote
  #4600  
Old 11-21-2012, 09:36 AM
dodge dude94's Avatar
dodge dude94 dodge dude94 is offline
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: East Texas
Posts: 1,017
Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Bike was running like crap, so I had to replace the exhaust gasket, I also cleaned the head while I was at it.

I also figured out why these things have clutch covers, so you don't get the hem of your pants leg shredded.

Guess I need to get the cover back on.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:41 PM.


Sponsors

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
MotorBicycling.com