Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:43 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibedayank View Post
hills... your weight.... your size wide/tall.. how heavy the bike is...
A 5foot tall #120 guy will go faster then a 6 foot 5 #300 guy on the same bike over the same road
I weigh 185, I'm 6'4". Bike is a super-heavy duty cruiser frame, total weight is probably 50/60 pounds. It REALLY bogs down on hills... It'll bog to a stop on a 25 grade hill pretty quickly if I don't pedal. I don't care about that much though, there's only a couple hills around here and I can go around both of them quite easily.

EDIT: if I go racer-pose instead of upright, I can get 2mph faster on the flat. There's a long, long backroad around here that's always empty that I go WOT on for speed tests.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:01 PM

you will not go faster if the motor does not have the power to pull the smaller gear and at 6'4" your pushing a good amount of air out of the way. About the only thing you can do is make the motor produce more power... better buy a Ex pipe

Old 08-02-2012, 09:45 PM

Well, for now I guess I'll just hope it sets in better; I know the clutch gears I just replaced are still squealing a little because they're off balance. And for now, I'll keep playing with the jets and do a couple more plug chops... I suspect it's not exactly where it should be. And I'm running 22:1 fuel/oil, a little more than necessary. If it's still not enough power, well, then I'll get a shift kit and ex-pipe... or maybe just a new motor. This one has already given me enough trouble.

My expectations are mostly derived from this thread: http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=40141
I have a smaller sprocket and I've done a little porting and I can't even hit 30. It's not lack of fuel or anything either...

Last edited by xenodius; 08-02-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 09:56 PM

Yesterday I ran my two blue thunders,and today is for improvements and cleaning,this is BT #1 in surgical operating table for a transplant of the back wheel with WM and Pirate Cycles sproket Adapter,and BT #2 was for conditionig the engine,a little brightness with the drill and wire wheel to clean the oxidation.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SDC10023[1].jpg (99.5 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg SDC10025[1].jpg (134.8 KB, 2321 views)
File Type: jpg SDC10026[1].jpg (97.0 KB, 30 views)
Old 08-03-2012, 12:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xenodius View Post
Well, for now I guess I'll just hope it sets in better; I know the clutch gears I just replaced are still squealing a little because they're off balance. And for now, I'll keep playing with the jets and do a couple more plug chops... I suspect it's not exactly where it should be. And I'm running 22:1 fuel/oil, a little more than necessary. If it's still not enough power, well, then I'll get a shift kit and ex-pipe... or maybe just a new motor. This one has already given me enough trouble.

My expectations are mostly derived from this thread: http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=40141
I have a smaller sprocket and I've done a little porting and I can't even hit 30. It's not lack of fuel or anything either...
A good pipe is almost always the answer. But you can try a little experiment first if you want. MOST of the stock pipes are way too restrictive, So just yank out the baffle and ride it like ya stole it. I suggest you do this in the daytime and not 2 in the morning. The neighbors might not appreaciate a dirt bike on the street at early morning hours. I think you'll find the horsepower and top end you've been looking for. If this is the case, then like I said, a good pipe is almost always the answer. I've got a real good expansion chamber on my tadpole trike and it made all the difference in the world. I'm pretty much running a straight pipe on my cruiser (just took out the baffle) and it works alright. It's loud but it runs too good to mess with.
fatdaddy.
Old 08-03-2012, 03:53 AM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

hooked up light system and fixed chain tensioner. cheap bolts stripped was causing chain to hit tire. got almost all the bugs out of my first build. i am looking for a chopper style springer seat anyone know where i can get one.
here is link to the bike.

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=41199
Old 08-03-2012, 11:52 AM

Red face Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdaddy View Post
A good pipe is almost always the answer. But you can try a little experiment first if you want. MOST of the stock pipes are way too restrictive, So just yank out the baffle and ride it like ya stole it. I suggest you do this in the daytime and not 2 in the morning. The neighbors might not appreaciate a dirt bike on the street at early morning hours. I think you'll find the horsepower and top end you've been looking for. If this is the case, then like I said, a good pipe is almost always the answer. I've got a real good expansion chamber on my tadpole trike and it made all the difference in the world. I'm pretty much running a straight pipe on my cruiser (just took out the baffle) and it works alright. It's loud but it runs too good to mess with.
fatdaddy.
Alright, that's really a relief, I'm definitely game... just please forgive my inexperience.

I did some searching and it sounds like the baffles should just fall right out, but I removed the endcap and they're pretty solid. Reading online about motorcycle mufflers, ehow said to just drill straight up the exhaust port. But my exhaust port/endcap is just a long, hollow tube. There are chambered baffles inside the pipe with round holes for the endcap tube to go through, as well as crescent holes. But I can't get those to come out at all.

So, um... help me please? =) Am I missing something obvious? Should I just drill through the endcap?

Last edited by xenodius; 08-03-2012 at 01:06 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Alright, that's really a relief, I'm definitely game... just please forgive my inexperience.

I did some searching and it sounds like the baffles should just fall right out, but I removed the endcap and they're pretty solid. Reading online about motorcycle mufflers, ehow said to just drill straight up the exhaust port. But my exhaust port/endcap is just a long, hollow tube. There are chambered baffles inside the pipe with round holes for the endcap tube to go through, as well as crescent holes. But I can't get those to come out at all.

So, um... help me please? =) Am I missing something obvious? Should I just drill through the endcap?
If ya take off the end cap and pull it out, you should find attached to it a long tube. That's yer baffle assembly. Don't worry about whats up inside the rest of the pipe. Simply taking off the end cap/ baffle assembly should un-restrict it enough to give you better exhaust flow. If you take out EVERYTHING from inside the pipe then you're not gonna get any back pressure at all, and ya need a little of that. This is a SIMPLE test, No drilling, No cutting or anything. Just pop off the end cap and run it. Like I said, Thats how I'm running my cruiser and it works fine. I'll eventually invest in a decent exaust system, but for now, I'm good.
fatdaddy.
P.S. My Cruiser runs like CR*P with the end cap/ baffle on.

Last edited by fatdaddy; 08-03-2012 at 01:39 PM. Reason: P.S.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatdaddy View Post
If ya take off the end cap and pull it out, you should find attached to it a long tube. That's yer baffle assembly. Don't worry about whats up inside the rest of the pipe. Simply taking off the end cap/ baffle assembly should un-restrict it enough to give you better exhaust flow. If you take out EVERYTHING from inside the pipe then you're not gonna get any back pressure at all, and ya need a little of that. Like I said, Thats how I'm running my cruiser and it works fine. I'll eventually invest in a decent exaust system, but for now, I'm good.
fatdaddy.
Oh... okay. That's way simpler than I thought. I just expected it to have... well... baffles, instead of a straight pipe. I'll try that tonight =) I can't remember which site it was, but I saw a black-cat EPA-certified catalytic converter muffler for these kits for $35 somewhere, that was tempting. But I don't know, I might go with an expansion kit if this is too loud or the power increase too minimal. Thank you for sharing =)

Last edited by xenodius; 08-03-2012 at 01:38 PM.
Old 08-03-2012, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Oh... okay. That's way simpler than I thought. I just expected it to have... well... baffles, instead of a straight pipe. I'll try that tonight =) I can't remember which site it was, but I saw a black-cat EPA-certified catalytic converter muffler for these kits for $35 somewhere, that was tempting. But I don't know, I might go with an expansion kit if this is too loud or the power increase too minimal. Thank you for sharing =)
Don't buy a cheap pipe and don't worry about EPA certified, That just means it's restricted with more carp. These engines are nowhere near EPA certified anyway. A GOOD expansion chamber would be the way to go. A lot of guy's on this site even make their own. Check around and do the research as to what chambers really work. I tried a cheap expansion chamber on my cruiser and it was worse then the stock pipe.
fatdaddy.

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner