Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 03-26-2012, 04:40 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Check for 12v SLA solid batteries at a car battery store that sells refurbished batteries (rebuilt). The one here sells them to me for $5 from a hospital supply. They are out of date so they can't be used for life-critical equipment, but still good for hobbys like CB radios or bike lights.

Use some kind of LED bulb with the spotlight, or under 15 watt like a halogen or interior automotive bulb, or it will just kill off your battery in no time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by motor_bike_fanatic View Post
I did a couple things over the weekend. Saturday, I did some maintenance work. Took apart my rear hub so I could check my bearings, because for some reason I occasionally get a little bit of play in the axle. Been that way ever since I got this rim around Christmas of 09. Anyway, bearings were fine, repacked with red grease and reassembled. Think I finally figured out the proper way to adjust the tightness of the axle. Also on Saturday, I adjusted my pedal crank and fixed my brake cable which was badly frayed. On Sunday, I stripped and scraped spraypaint off my gas tank. Its a plastic two gallon yamaha tank. I started out trying to strip it with brake fluid, but there were so many layers of paint from several bad paint jobs. I barely got through the first layer with a whole bottle of brake fluid. Ended up scraping the rest off. Hopefully tomorrow I will be able to get some new brake pads. Dont think I ever had new pads on this bike, since the handbrake was used when I got it, and I dont think I ever changed the pads. My cruiser came with a hole in the frame for the rear fender, and since I removed the fender, I discovered I was able to add a rear handbrake. I have had the handbrake for almost two years, so I am definitely due for some new pads. New pads should make my brakes rock solid. They arent too bad now, but I also have a foot brake. My next big plan is to upgrade my headlight. Currently using a home modifed bullet headlight that puts out around 6v. I have a 12v spotlight that my wife's brother in law gave me. Gonna get a 12v SLA battery and use the spotlight as a headlight. It shines about as far as a car's headlights. Gonna be a little while till I have the money for an SLA battery and a charger though.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:09 AM

Thanks HC and also BarelyAWAKE for this picture and where to get the clamps.

Ohhhhhh... you don't have to tell me about the clamp coming off and coaster brakes issue. I did it another way. Chain falls off while on coaster brake 24 inch wheel bike while on side walk of hill that goes down about 1/8 mile 7% grade. The service road you can check it out if you get Google Earth loaded on you PC and use street view. Long Island Expressway service road as it continues west past Cross Island Parkway is a hill formed I hear by Ice Age glacier that made a few small hills on Long Island New York. Its actually the border of New York and Long Island there.

When this happened long time ago I got down low over the top bar and lightly dragged my feet, I kept going faster.

Then I slowly made a large arc turn over the side walk onto a soft lawn after the fense stopped half way down the hill and I made a circle about 100 feet in diameter and came to a stop!

Not a @%# tool with me, but found a stick and forced the chain back on.

MT
Old 03-26-2012, 09:55 AM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Thumbs up Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

I recently added a banana pipe to the 66cc, noticed a nice increase in top end. With that I added small length of flex-pipe and small brigs muffler; instead of the popping sound, I get nice deep growl. I wish these engines were legal here in France, then I wouldn't have to worry about the sound. I painted the pipe, flex-pipe and muffler with the some high temp (800C or 1472F) blk paint from Motip.
Also, I added Avid BB5 mechanical disc brakes for the back, as the cheap mechanical disc Zoom brakes were causing problems. What a difference in stopping power.

Pete
Attached Images
File Type: jpg motip 800.jpg (58.2 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg 27-03-2012 00-30-16.jpg (273.8 KB, 56 views)
File Type: jpg 27-03-2012 00-30-45.jpg (208.4 KB, 53 views)
File Type: jpg 27-03-2012 00-31-03.jpg (288.4 KB, 61 views)
File Type: jpg 27-03-2012 00-29-48.jpg (242.3 KB, 53 views)

Last edited by Pucksterpete; 03-26-2012 at 06:33 PM. Reason: sig
Old 03-27-2012, 12:43 AM

I put brand new brake pads on my hand brake today. I have a huffy cranbrook, and since I removed the rear fender for chain clearance, I was able to fit a rear handbrake on the bike. I got the brake used, and have been using the pads that came with it for almost two years. So for the first time ever, brand new brake pads. I also made some other adjustments. On the way to WallyWorld to get the brake pads, I noticed that the engine was revving way too high on idle. It was so bad that when I hit the brakes, the whole bike would vibrate. So, I started by tightening my clutch cable, but that wasnt it. Then I let all the tension out of my throttle cable and readjusted my idle screw. That seems to have done the trick. Now I just need some exhaust wrap.

"and my time is a piece of wax, fallin' on a termite, that's chokin' on the splinters"

"If we change the way we look at things, the things we look at will change"
Old 03-27-2012, 02:47 PM

drained the oil out of the engine (it was 5w-30) pulled the cover off, got the govenor gear out. put it back together and filled it with 10w-40

i left the arm in there, since after careful studying, there is no way the arm can swing around and hit the crankshaft. if you look closely at the cotter pin, there's a nub it hits, making a stop so it wouldn't hit the crank.

decided rather than futs with cutting arm off, left it in there, and used it as a pivot for my throttle linkage.

also adjusted the valve lash from .008" to .004" sort of wanting to see about getting some stronger valves so there's no float, as well as figuring out a better flywheel/fan assembly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biknut View Post
Traditional bicycle riders think we're cheaters. Non riders think our bikes are toys. Bicycle shops think we're a threat. Tree huggers think we're polluters. The police don't know what to think.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:04 PM

Puckster Pete, I really like the fenders!

What are they?
Old 03-27-2012, 06:24 PM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

I checked what type of headset I had (never messed with the fork or handlebars before now), and upon reassembly the mount for my clutch lever broke.
Fortunately, I had the old brake levers laying around (have the dual pull now) and since my lock on my clutch lever broke months ago, it wasn't a significant change. I also took the return spring off of the cable. It's much easier to pull now.
I also cleaned my pedal chain. It was nasty, nasty to the point that I used a gunk blaster to completely remove everything. Re-oiled and it is so much smoother now! Anyone else have issues with keeping your bike clean, or have any tips on keeping it so without having to clean it frequently?

Edit: I also just realized that one of my reasons for opening my headset was to measure the tube diameter... which I completely forgot to do. crap.

Last edited by Spaz_Static; 03-27-2012 at 07:23 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:35 PM

Those locking brake levers are pretty cheap. You can get a matching pair (L & R) for $20 on amazon. You could use one for a parking brake, or a throttle trigger with WOT cruise.

I finished my boost bottle and airbox replacement project today, testing it out soon. The boost bottle already worked, but I had to re-do the nozzle on the carb spacer.

http://motorbicycling.com/picture.ph...pictureid=3846
Old 03-27-2012, 06:37 PM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

Not a bad set of ideas. I may invest in that...
Old 03-27-2012, 06:52 PM

I bought an NOS Motobecane 17" moped wheelset on ebay. They wanted $190; I bought them for $125.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Moto...9c6cb9&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Moto...e0c71d&vxp=mtr

This includes 36h hubs, brakes and 54t sprocket, new old stock(NOS) and assembled.

With 17 x 3 Michelin motorcycle tires, diameter is about 23.5" tall.

They might look weird on my bike. We'll see. I can live with it.

Last edited by 5-7HEAVEN; 03-27-2012 at 06:56 PM.

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner