Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 03-24-2012, 12:50 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

A spoke rolling tool will be far more expensive than the cost of even a 20 pack of new spokes. It will not work on butted spokes or cheap spokes either.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CKcBEPMCMAs
Old 03-24-2012, 12:55 AM

What kind of hub are you using now?

Re: old style brakes. A lot of old brakes work pretty well with the right levers, especially if you chuck the old crusty blocks and put soft v-brake pads on them.

softee brake pads $2-3 pair www.niagaracycle.com

Last edited by happycheapskate; 03-25-2012 at 03:12 AM.
Old 03-24-2012, 08:45 PM
Gutter Rider

Tnx Happy!

That's probably the wise option... :-) I was wanting to make long spokes shorter, but I guess I should look for another option.

Wow! 2 - 3 bucks a pair for brake pads!!! Gosh, even I would buy new pads at that kinda price! I'll definitely look at the link u posted.

I was planning on getting some KoolStop salmon colored pads if i got $'s to spend on that kinda stuff. they are abt $8 a pair, but the mtb guys like 'em a lot.

Well, I got a little more done on the Southport today.
the 44T front chainring went by-by for a kiddie bike 36T with really short cranks and actually just a tad wider! bonus!

So the motor will sit real low without modding the frame.
I made this front motor mount to fit the large downtube.
Not really pleased with a few things about it, but it is as low as I could figger building a mount, without drilling the frame, or welding directly on the frame.
I wanted to use a U-bolt from the Ace hardware store, too, so it's available to everyone who might need one.

I had no suitable flat stock, so I used some angle iron from an old bedframe.
NOT wise to use rusty old stock... doesn't make for the best welds!
but it worked well enough.

Alf had mentioned cracked frames, so I designed this mount with a large pad that will spread out the bearing surface. Hopefully there will be no cracking problem!

I also made a saddle which I will weld on the U-bolt, tomorrow.
Then I'll bolt it all up.

The cut down rear motor mount worked fine with 1 shim, and I may have permanently eliminated my chain tensioner. When it does loosen up a bit, I can slip in a larger shim, and re-tighten the from mount. maybe I will need to put some shim stock under the front pad. I'll use a piece of Garlock gasket material that is firm. No rubber mounting type stuff for me!

I like the frame lines of this bicycle, but the overall look is not yet working for me... it needs something! After I get it running I'll fab a lean-back seat post.
OR, I might do a Nashmoto shock seat. Gosh I like his seat!

Best
rc
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mnt.jpg (53.7 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg fmnt.jpg (51.6 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg kmab32412.jpg (56.2 KB, 34 views)

Last edited by rustycase; 03-24-2012 at 08:48 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:00 PM
Gutter Rider

I am REALLY trying to do the best job I can, eliminating the tensioner.
FAR too many of our riders send those $#@! things into the spokes, bind up the chain in between the rag joint sprocket and the spokes, locking up the rear wheel, and causing them to wreck the motorized bicycle with possible injuries...

I'm thinking (again!) that perhaps IF the seatpost was leaned back more at the top, chain adjustment could be accomplished by lowering the motor, sliding it down the post, as the chain stretched. And of course, to make the initial adjustment! lol

(Bonus here would be, increased seat to handlebar length, which is generally too short, for those of us using a motor assist, and NOT needing to grip the $@! out of the handlebars to motivate.)

I'll do a post on it when I get more details figgered out. It will require cutting and re-welding the frame, though.

There will be serious consideration of the Al.Fisherman's observation that a 72% frame angle for a chinagirl mount is optimal. Working in a V is the tough part!

Best
rc

Last edited by rustycase; 03-24-2012 at 09:08 PM.
Old 03-24-2012, 09:21 PM

changed seat to ol school spring style,painted light,went off roading.
Old 03-25-2012, 02:23 AM

Spent the past few days romping around on my four Cranbricks- 'Beach Breeze', the blue and cream one that's my personal machine as well as the Panama Jack, the Kareoke and the Black Rat... PLUS, I bought the 24" Cranbrick that my local WM was discontinuing for $65... that will look CUTE with a motor... only to find out the hub is narrow between the rims. The diameter is right, but the width is too narrow for the Howard mount... so's I'll have to hand-crank a one-off for this particular bike... oh well, at least now I know how to do it... it's Cranberry metallic red with rich cream fenders and chainguard- once I match the red, I will do the tank that color with a rich cream stripe down the middle! Talk about sweet! Call it the 'Cranberry'... and see about some Schwinn Chrome cantelever springers for the front, THAT ought to make an impression!
Old 03-25-2012, 03:15 AM

There are lots of popular ways to get rid of the lollipop tensioner. You can make a slotted or multiple-hole flat bar, and connect it to the seat and chain stay with conduit clamps. Ian Hawker makes some nice ABEC bearing rollers, and engine mounted spring tensioners (the gear cover holds it on).
Old 03-25-2012, 11:23 AM

Hi Rustycase. Tensioners have been an issue since motorized bicycles entered the scene. The problem is not with the theory, it's with the way kit tensioners are designed. Anything mounted to the frame that can rotate is a problem, it's just not going to stay in place. I have a Yamaha enduro with a factory installed chain tensioner that works great, but it's designed so it cannot move and get in the way of spokes and other moving parts. As HappyCheapSkate points out, the solution is to come up with a custom design that fits your bike. The pivot point needs to be stationary, and alignment needs to be correct. You can experiment with the length of the pivot arm and the strength of the tension spring to minimize drag while keeping the chain tight. Here are a couple I designed for my Stiletto bobber. The Giant Stiletto came with a 7-speed hub, so the rear wheel is not adjustable making a tensioner necessary. I used the derailler's threaded pivot hole as the pivot point for the tensioner and used a kit-supplied roller with bearng. On the front tensioner, I used the wheel off of the derailler. If it starts to wear I will switch to a bearing set-up. As Happy suggested, I used steel or aluminum strap for the pivot arm. I hope this helps.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSCN2925.JPG (392.2 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg DSCN2926.JPG (369.4 KB, 39 views)
Old 03-25-2012, 11:38 AM
Gutter Rider

mmmm

Tnx hcs & sm (gosh, what a nice, clean bike!)

I'd better re-think this...

...got mcs out in the yard with, and without tensioners...
I betr spend some time settin' and lookin'
I'm pretty gud at that!

Tnx
rc
Old 03-25-2012, 09:48 PM

Another build out the door, great day out. Good times.

I'll update the build thread once I find it

Looking good RC!

Last edited by killercanuck; 03-25-2012 at 09:51 PM.

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner