Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 01-09-2012, 10:47 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

I took a brake handle off a parts bike and put it on the BigMo, the one that was on it was ground all to heck from crashes. The hand grips got here, too, and were installed. Tomorrow it's find the 40" pipe wrench to bend the crank arm back out. Then put it on a chain in the front yard with a for sale sign on it. I live on a busy street so it might not take too long to sell.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:56 PM

While watching the Crimson Tide kick LSU's behind for the national championship I laced my 4 1/4 wide OCC wheel with 105 gauge SS spokes. I had to drill the holes in the aluminum rim a bit to accept the larger spoke nipples and had to drill the hub a tad to accept the spokes Had the pinned seam on the rim welded last week and though the guys said he was a "precison welder" the bead bled through so I had to do a little surgery with my rotary tool. I covered the seam with a Sick Bike Parts sticker, it looks pretty good. I removed all of the Schwinn stickers from the rim and hub, then drilled the hub to accept a steel OCC sprocket adapter, and added a threaded disc brake adapter to the freewheel side so I can install a 180mm disc. The wheel fits perfectly on my Giant Stiletto now that I stretched the rear frame by 1 1/2 " with a screw jack I picked up at a junk store for $3. Tomorrow I'll true the wheel and install it.
Old 01-09-2012, 10:59 PM

changed out the MM sprocket mount for one of mine the other day. The MM is a good mount, but the holes I drilled were not 'spot on' so it had a slight lope. The HOWARD mount has holes set for the HT sprocket so no drilling needed- ran smooth as 12 year old single malt scotch. Put it on the road as soon as the snowplows had things under control You know, you REALLY don't want to do top speed when there is snow and ice on the ground- it can get rather exciting in a bad way very quickly. Love the silly thing. I've got six other builds for sale but the "Beach Breeze" is still my favorite... first love and all that. I've been called a 'hardcore' for motorbiking in this weather, but I can't help it- IT'S JUST PLAIN FUN!!!
the Old Sgt.
Old 01-10-2012, 02:04 AM

Just finished putting together the Schwinn Avenue with #2 Dax kit. #1 was "donated" to wife's bike in hopes of getting her outside. I haven't test run it with #2 yet. The bike is better than before!

Just uploaded video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uail5...ature=youtu.be
dual control demonstration

This time it has the stock steel riser bar (mtn type bar), with the stock 3x7 brake combos, and ambidextrous throttle control! (uploads to follow next day or so, hopefully a video on ytb). I used 2 Falcon friction thumbies, one running into the next, at where the cable end normally sits, and the 2nd exit cable running to the Tanaka. It works nicely! (used one of those little "conical springs" from the QR as a 2nd return spring just for backup). So I can cruise control or throttle up and down with either hand! More fun than model rockets!

Last edited by happycheapskate; 01-10-2012 at 02:44 AM.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:18 AM

Used up all my spare chain... for a good cause though. Building this for a friend of a friend, who happens to be 85. Should be fun for him to putt around on.

Idlers are just in 'mock up' position.
Old 01-10-2012, 06:55 PM

I took my motorized bicycle for a test run, 6 miles in the nasty, cold rain. The dual throttles worked great, the motor is good, just breaking in but smooth, started no 2nd pull (kill switch was on first pull hahah). The 1.25 roller loves the Cheng Shin Corporal 700x35 tire, it hooked up and pulled without slipping and skating, even in puddles.

I like having the mtn bike/cruiser bars back on the bike. The road drops were fun, but didn't work with the controls I wanted. I still wound the bar with my favorite tape though.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:55 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

parts are finally trickling in

decided I wanted it a little different so I painted the kidney bean
Old 01-10-2012, 11:40 PM

got the disk adapter from venice motor bikes and mounted it on the forks. i now have some decent disk brakes rather than the rim brakes :3

also make a base gasket for the motor so i don't have to worry about any RTV there, need to do some sanding on the top of the cylinder to get the clearance back to what it needs to be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biknut View Post
Traditional bicycle riders think we're cheaters. Non riders think our bikes are toys. Bicycle shops think we're a threat. Tree huggers think we're polluters. The police don't know what to think.
Old 01-11-2012, 01:19 AM
Motorized Bicycle Member

What did I do to my motor bike today?

I brushed her down real good, head to tail the way she likes.
Then I let the kids go out into the barn one at a time to say good bye.
Loading my 12 gauge I led her out into her favorite spot of clover in the field.
I fed her a sweet, sweet apple I selected especially for her and two sugar cubes.
Then while scratching her behind the ears the way she likes I unloaded the shotgun into the back of her skull.

So, who has replacement engines in stock this time of year?

Also, I now have a dissection specimen. I'm calling this a learning experience.
Old 01-11-2012, 09:00 AM

Went to the pharmacy a few blocks away on my staton friction drive. Started slippin' as the roller got wet then she caught and took off like a bat outta ****. Even thru the puddles and uphill. I didn't have any fenders on either and got very little if any spray off the tires. I could see the spray flinging off my front tire in front of my headlight. I love mtn bike tires. They never slip even when wet. I went flyin' around corners at 26mph. Leanin' my bike way over till my shoulder was around a ft from the ground. Roads around here are either full of potholes, or slightly eroded roads(not completely smooth)they got a kinda gravel like feel cuz the smoothness has been worn off.

The Constitution is the guide which I never will abandon. - George Washington

I'm Jesse James
Semper Fidelis

Last edited by James912; 01-11-2012 at 09:12 AM.

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner