Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 12-24-2011, 10:53 PM
Gutter Rider

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Did you post a pic of your trailer mounting, KC?
That's an impressive load of freight!
...if I could do 1/2 that I'd be real happy...
I'm pretty much gonna try for a two milk-crate cargo load with a solo wheel.
..think I'll run a 20" wheel since I got a bunch of 'em hangin' around.
rc
Old 12-25-2011, 12:19 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

replaced the inner tube on my rear tire bike runs good.

now i just wait for my new head to come in, then i'll have to see if i need to mill the cylinder a bit (probably will)

Quote:
Originally Posted by biknut View Post
Traditional bicycle riders think we're cheaters. Non riders think our bikes are toys. Bicycle shops think we're a threat. Tree huggers think we're polluters. The police don't know what to think.
Old 12-25-2011, 01:22 AM

Built this in the spring RC

Built from $5 of lumber, a couple of spare rims and a lock box(most $'y part)
http://motorbicycling.com/f15/home-b...ler-32035.html

the hitch is in the thread.
Old 12-25-2011, 05:46 AM

I worked on my bike from 5 pm last night till 3am this morning and now its running great!!! I learned something today very important. I checked for spark a tousand times and even set my magneto so the spark is nice and blue. Had the carbs apart and everything then finally threw in a new carb....then it ran for a couple of minutes and then died!!!!
Then I realized that even though that there is good spark, when the engine is running and vibrating, it is causing a fault in the line to stop the spark!!!
So out comes the magneto again, this time I set a .0030 gap and then striped the lead down a ways, and attached a coil wire from a car to my magneto lead and it FIRED RIGHT UP AND RAN SUPER!!!! I could not belive it!!!! what a problem that was solved. Right now I still have to put all my stuff away...it is Christmas morning. So Happy Holidays everyone!!! You dont have to get drunk.
Anyway, this morning I learned that even when there is good spark, THAT DOES NOT MEAN ANYTHING WHEN THE MOTOR IS RUNNING, BECAUSE OF THE VIBRATION. The tinyest fault in the lead will cause a spark faliure as it is rapidly vibrating with a running motor......Later on today when I get up, I'm gonna throw my old carb back on and save this new one...HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVRYONE!!!!
Old 12-25-2011, 02:32 PM

Rode from my house down to the marina and then to the cove yesterday(Christmas Eve). Very little traffic to deal with, which is why i picked that day. Enjoyed every bit of it. Total miles was about 8 miles.

The Constitution is the guide which I never will abandon. - George Washington

I'm Jesse James
Semper Fidelis

Old 12-25-2011, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blakenstein View Post
I worked on my bike from 5 pm last night till 3am this morning and now its running great!!! I learned something today very important. I checked for spark a tousand times and even set my magneto so the spark is nice and blue. Had the carbs apart and everything then finally threw in a new carb....then it ran for a couple of minutes and then died!!!!
Then I realized that even though that there is good spark, when the engine is running and vibrating, it is causing a fault in the line to stop the spark!!!
So out comes the magneto again, this time I set a .0030 gap and then striped the lead down a ways, and attached a coil wire from a car to my magneto lead and it FIRED RIGHT UP AND RAN SUPER!!!! I could not belive it!!!! what a problem that was solved. Right now I still have to put all my stuff away...it is Christmas morning. So Happy Holidays everyone!!! You dont have to get drunk.
Anyway, this morning I learned that even when there is good spark, THAT DOES NOT MEAN ANYTHING WHEN THE MOTOR IS RUNNING, BECAUSE OF THE VIBRATION. The tinyest fault in the lead will cause a spark faliure as it is rapidly vibrating with a running motor......Later on today when I get up, I'm gonna throw my old carb back on and save this new one...HAPPY HOLIDAYS EVRYONE!!!!
Excellent troubleshooting, Blakenstein and thanks for sharing. Yep, the less alcohol I buy, the more I can spend on my bike!

I'm a cheap drunk, anyway. I'm flying before I finish my first beer.

I mounted my $14 tach onto my windshield post, with $2 worth of a bracket, nuts and bolts.

Last edited by 5-7HEAVEN; 12-25-2011 at 03:11 PM.
Old 12-26-2011, 12:42 AM
Resident Mad Scientist

Cruised around the park a few times, stopping here and there and letting her run so I could fine tune the idle. (Mostly I think I just wanted/needed an excuse to get out and ride.) It would seem that motorized bicycles are still plenty new to the locals here, because I was getting quite a few "WTF" looks from the folks nearby.
I probably don't need to tinker with her much; she's as reliable as I'd could expect a motorized bicycle to be. But doggone it, maybe I'm just nuts, but I think these things are as much fun to tinker with as they are to ride.
It's no wonder why most of our motorized bicycles are never really "done".

"There is nothing wrong with wanting a motorbike that is an extension of your personal taste and fashion sense; if you must ride somewhere, I say do it with style!"
Old 12-26-2011, 02:27 PM

Today, my chains and master links arrived, along with new SBP arms and short lengths of silicon exhaust tubing. The HD freewheel and arm will be installed on the bottom bracket. I can also seal the Tanaka power pipe for less noise. The chains will be measured and cut for exact replacement. When the next one breaks on the road, it'll be a simple matter to replace them in a few minutes.
Old 12-26-2011, 08:10 PM

ordered a new intake pipe, springer fork, and a dellorto (clone though) carb, along with some opti-2

Quote:
Originally Posted by biknut View Post
Traditional bicycle riders think we're cheaters. Non riders think our bikes are toys. Bicycle shops think we're a threat. Tree huggers think we're polluters. The police don't know what to think.
Old 12-26-2011, 09:28 PM

The last couple of days I've replaced the back tire and tube, and fitted up some new lights so that I might be able to see where I'm going.

On the way home from work Monday, once again it blew out with a sharp 'bang'. No idea what I caught this time, there was no sign of it. The tire itself doesn't look bad, but the tube was blown (lots of random width pie wedges in a circle - nothing the self sealing tube could do about it but ooze, which it did, spreading blue slime everywhere). The new tire is kevlar lined, and I after reading about it here somewhere I lined it with an old tube (double thick between the tube and tire) between the new tire and new tube in hopes that I might not have as many large punctures. I'm using a self-sealing tube again, they seem to catch the small stuff pretty well despite the mess when they get ripped or blow badly.

I'm going to have to replace my muffler, the stem inside the pipe starting at the top of the catalytic converter is now on the workbench; the metal looks like it cracked and broke off. So right now it's got a pipe from motor to larger pipe, and capped. It runs, but it's a little louder than I'd like. For now it might wake the neighbours, but I'm long gone by the time they're looking for the noise.

This time of year the sun rises after I'm at work, and sets before I leave. The lights I had before were good for being seen, but useless if the street lights are out. There are a couple of places on my commute where that's always the case; one gets a build up of slimy wet leaves in a pitch black curve, the other is a downhill run with a curve at the bottom. Not seeing anything good in a bike light that actually throws light (and I've been checking everywhere I've gone for two months) I found an 'inspection light' water resistant flashlight by Energizer. Single LED, burns a pair of AAA batteries for around 20 hours (total) if I recall correctly, around $15 each (not out of line for a bike light price). The packaging claims it throws a beam as far as 76m (almost 250'), so a pair of them are now cable tied to the front basket on the beast.

In the pics, first is the packaging for the light, followed by a side and a top down view of where and how I put them on for now. Turned the garage light off for the fourth one. I'm standing about 8 feet in front, and same spot crouching down for the fifth shot. I tried to aim the lights down, but it will take some tweaking to get the angles where I want them so they shine to around double my minimum stopping distance for one and the space between the bike and there for the other.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Lights_05.jpg (35.4 KB, 35 views)
File Type: jpg Lights_01.jpg (53.1 KB, 37 views)
File Type: jpg Lights_02.jpg (50.9 KB, 38 views)
File Type: jpg Lights_07.jpg (7.2 KB, 33 views)
File Type: jpg Lights_08.jpg (12.6 KB, 35 views)

-=-

Any day that starts with a good ride is already a better day, and a bad day riding still beats a good day working.

My Builds: My Beast, Harley59's bike, my Cruiser

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner