Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 12-22-2011, 10:00 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

I installed my "cargo assembly" the other day on my daily rider. Been testing out the side effects of having it.

It's between 12 and 15lbs. Consists of a Topeak Explorer rack with "tool channel" that has a Wald 962 folding basket hoseclamped to each side. A large 4xAA generic taillight is screwed to the reflector tab. The "tool channel" takes various Topeak-branded things like trunk bags with panniers, baskets, and even a child seat. I have a trunk+pannier set since 2007 that I occasionally use with the rack. The trunk slides into the channel and panniers fit over the baskets, whether folded or not, so serious cargo hauling is possible.

I also installed my 4G cover and a downtube fender about a month ago. So far it's been doing an awesome job. It's simply a short fender that mounts on downtube and protects the bottom bracket area and sprockets from getting sprayed by the front tire. That area can be tough to clean on MaBs, and this fender was $9 shipped from Amazon. I think it kinda looks cool, too. Lots of pieces of my bike are plastic or polycarbonate, and it pulls it off, I think.

I still need to regear/change my crank sprockets and install V-brakes and dual-pull Paul Component levers. Then it's on to upgrading the headlight system and reworking my old LED tailights for my current application.

Does it ever really end with these?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bagged.jpg (131.2 KB, 51 views)
File Type: jpg Wald 962s @ work.jpg (516.5 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg Wald 962s @ work 2.jpg (506.4 KB, 59 views)
Old 12-22-2011, 11:21 PM

finished my rebuild. time to take it for a ride tomorrow!
Old 12-23-2011, 12:46 AM
Staff

Great vids Killer, thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Sxv-sUYtM
Old 12-23-2011, 05:26 AM

I ordered another Dax fiction drive. Wife still hasn't ridden the one I gave her more than 10 miles, but I'm hoping to get her on it this holiday season. Rain Rain go away!

I have been toying with ideas to modify the Dax so I can carry stuff (used to having a Wald rack back there. So far, I have found a standard cube milk crate to be pretty solid when mounted on top of the channel. You can post links or ideas on my visitor page. Thanks.

http://photos-h.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos..._8173814_a.jpg
bike with milk basket
Old 12-23-2011, 05:34 AM

I can true wheels if the rims themselves aren't warped (flat spotted, bent etc. Rims flex, but if they are really warped, the spoke tensions will be very different and it won't hold as long) . Do you need some help? What kind of wheels do you have?

How to Install Mr Tuffy liner in a Road Bike Tire - YouTube how to install tire liners.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent713 View Post
Thanks for the tip, I will definitely utilized this to prevent from frequent flats.
Old 12-23-2011, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happycheapskate View Post
I can true wheels if the rims themselves aren't warped (flat spotted, bent etc. Rims flex, but if they are really warped, the spoke tensions will be very different and it won't hold as long) . Do you need some help? What kind of wheels do you have?

How to Install Mr Tuffy liner in a Road Bike Tire - YouTube how to install tire liners.
I'm just trying to prevent from frequent flats so I was thinking of installing tire liners. The video was very helpful, thank you.
Old 12-24-2011, 12:44 AM

The cheap 4-bolt Chinese freewheels on my chainring sprockets have always been very wobbly, even the new ones. I bought them because they bolt directly onto pocket bike sprockets, which work well as chainring sprockets. When I ran over something on a wet road, it broke my engine chain and front derailleur. It also damaged the freewheel, which is a bear to remove without damaging the threads it's screwed onto.

I just happened to have an SBP HD 5-bolt freewheel, so I decided to install it. The 'wheel and sprocket were taken to the machine shop, who were unable to drill a 4-bolt pattern onto it. After sleeping on it, I realized it was easier to redrill the sprocket's softer metal to match the SBP freewheel. Using the 'wheel as a template, the pocket bike sprocket was easily drilled to match. Five M5 bolts and washers were purchased and both chainring sprockets were reassembled and trial-fitted onto the bike. New SBP crank arms were ordered, and a used 4-bolt freewheel was temporarily installed on the bike to keep it running.

The chain tensioner wheel was extended 1/2" further out today. I'm also working on a simple mount for my engine tach.
Old 12-24-2011, 08:19 PM

Got the LA Cycles BigMo back together with the intent of selling it for Christmas. Should have done that sooner. When I got the BigMo the seat was broken but that was ok then. No seat stem. So I go to put the seat from the Dynacraft LTD anddd it doesn't fit, it's 2 seat stem sizes too small. I need a 31.1mm seat stem or 2 adapters to take it down ti 25.x mm. So that will have to wait until next payday.

After Christmas work commences on the LTD A lot on it also has to wait 'til payday. I need a new bandsaw blade for my Harbor Freight bandsaw. BiMetal blade for $10. Hope it lasts

Oh, yeah, my HP DC7700 just quit. No warning, just stopped. Tried everything but while the fans spin nothing boots up, nothing. I found a DC7700 mid tower instead of the DC7700 Low Profile. I can use full sized cards then instead of the limited Low Profile cards. Plus I just added 2 gigs of Crucial memory to the 2 that were in it, MSI GT 430 vid, Creative Extreme XT sound. Upgraded processor, too from 1.86 to 2.4 gig.

I'm on my brothers Pentium D slow POS. AH NEEDZ MAH NEW COMP11 ;p

Last edited by DaveC; 12-24-2011 at 08:28 PM.
Old 12-24-2011, 10:12 PM

Sux to be without gaming comp, for sure...

Had the modded rear mount out for a haul today with the trailer, so far so good 2L's of Coke and ginger ale were .70c so I grabbed 20 of those and a box of beer, plus $50 of groceries. Good 100lb in the trailer, gave it some wot's on flat areas on the way home, still no splitting or cracking on the mount. Looks like it did the trick, woohoo!

Have a good one everyone.
Old 12-24-2011, 10:37 PM

The highlight of my day was donating platelets at the blood bank. This time I played it smart and drove, instead of biking in.

A trip to City Mill got me a rain suit to commute on wet days. I also bought 2 allen bolts, nuts and washers. I used that and a piece of scrap metal to mount my tach onto the windshield post.

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner