Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 12-22-2011, 02:06 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

I took the HD 5-bolt freewheel to the local machine shop to have them redrilled to match my 4-bolt chainring sprocket. I brought the 4-bolt freewheel with me as a reference. The machinist said he didn't have the jig to "index" the 4-bolt 'wheel to the 5-bolt. I told him I just brought the 4-bolt as a reference, so he could transfer specs. I figured he could just use his mike or a ruler. The guy was worried about exacting tolerances. I said it was for my daily-driven bicycle. He starts lecturing me about spending too much and I don't have a $5,000 carbon-fiber bike, yada yada. So the machinist refers me to a cheaper machine shop. That shop was closed for the holidays.

I'll go back to the first shop tomorrow. This time I'll make it easy on him and bring the sprocket that the freewheel will bolt onto.

It slipped my mind. I guess it woulda been simpler if I'd brought the sprocket and the new freewheel with me.

I also bought a $4 siphon pump, two 40-cent circlips for my gearbox and some aluminum channel to fab a chainguard from gearbox sprocket to chainring sprocket. The siphon pump is for my oild dispenser project.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:49 AM
Staff

5-7, this is why I bought a mill/lathe. I am all but clueless on how to run the thing but got so sick of that response. I in no way mean any thing against machine shops. Is just they really don't make any $ off our one of a kind things. Had one shop that does work for NASA make a bushing. Cost 80 bucks and all it was, was a brass tube with varying diameters at each end. Very cool guys but when the guy handed me the part, it was not what I needed, cost $80 and the poor SOB (son of a biker) stopped work on a $30,000 part to knock my thing out just 'cause it was cool. He thought, past tense, motorized bicycles were.

Next, a plasma cutter!

Just ranting. Is just a bummer to get that look when ya came up with a really cool thunk and can't get it made.

I have been talking to some guys about opening a sort of co-op/communal shop. An electrical engineer, artist, welder and some other tradesman. If it works out, gonna call it the "Hack-Shack" Just a shared work space were ya can just ask the guy next to ya; "how would you do this?"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Sxv-sUYtM
Old 12-22-2011, 03:46 AM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent713 View Post
The nylon liners, do you put it between the rim and the tube or the tire and tube?
between the tube and the tire.
If you are having trouble w/ spoke heads popping tires from the inside the guy at the bike shop tells me
1) make sure spokes are good and tight. My first, sloppy build tended to pull the wheel to one side tightening spokes on the pedal side and loosening the ones on the left side.
2) a few layers of duct tape between the rim and the inner tube.

As far as the nylon liners go they were $15 for a stupid sheet of nylon 2" x 70 or 80" but they do seem to work. note, they do not protect against punctures on the sides of the tiers.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:41 AM

lol "Hack Shack", I came across these beginner vids Dan, for students:
MIT TechTV – Videos

For liners, has anyone tried an old seatbelt? Those are tight woven nylon, and local wrecker probably wouldn't care if you harvested some pieces, eh?

Got my Alternative Broken stud fix JB Welded, got to get a couple miles on it today and see how it does

Old 12-22-2011, 09:25 AM
Gutter Rider

Hack Shack sounds like a neat Idea! That broken stud fix Killer was a man with a plan lol! I have not seen anyone do that approach yet had not even thought of it. Oughta work. .
Old 12-22-2011, 10:49 AM
Gutter Rider

Skarrd, got a question on your piston cutting...

Did you roll your engine over to TDC, scribe the piston through the open port, and trim a notch into it?

How are the results for you?
any difference in low/top end power?
Has it affected balance/vibration any?

Serious looking motorized bicycle u got there Scud!
it occurred to me that if you took 1 link out of the chain and re-positioned your tensioner, the chain run would be straighter and actually put less force on the tensioner, giving less possible force that could pull it into the spokes.
...'tis what I did on my own mab...

What happens is instead of the roller mounted up high, and the bracket farther to the rear, is, the roller is bolted low as it can go, and mounted to the chain stay farther forward. IMO, btr.

Of course, a sprung tensioner might be best.

Best
rc
Old 12-22-2011, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustycase View Post
Skarrd, got a question on your piston cutting...

Did you roll your engine over to TDC, scribe the piston through the open port, and trim a notch into it?

How are the results for you?
any difference in low/top end power?
Has it affected balance/vibration any?
pretty much, i couldn't find something to scribe it with this time. so i just eye balled it, then ground away, and kept checking it to see how much more i needed to take off.

it pretty much increased power overall, mostly bottom end and top end, mid was left about the same.

didn't notice any change in vibration at all.

i know i need to check the piston clearence on the top at tdc to see if i need to mill the top of the clyinder body at all for the new head i bought.

bike so far is topping out at 35mph-ish. needs some more tuning and adjusting before it'll get back to the 40mph range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biknut View Post
Traditional bicycle riders think we're cheaters. Non riders think our bikes are toys. Bicycle shops think we're a threat. Tree huggers think we're polluters. The police don't know what to think.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDB View Post
between the tube and the tire.
If you are having trouble w/ spoke heads popping tires from the inside the guy at the bike shop tells me
1) make sure spokes are good and tight. My first, sloppy build tended to pull the wheel to one side tightening spokes on the pedal side and loosening the ones on the left side.
2) a few layers of duct tape between the rim and the inner tube.

As far as the nylon liners go they were $15 for a stupid sheet of nylon 2" x 70 or 80" but they do seem to work. note, they do not protect against punctures on the sides of the tiers.
Thanks for the tip, I will definitely utilized this to prevent from frequent flats.
Old 12-22-2011, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
5-7, this is why I bought a mill/lathe. I am all but clueless on how to run the thing but got so sick of that response. I in no way mean any thing against machine shops. Is just they really don't make any $ off our one of a kind things. Had one shop that does work for NASA make a bushing. Cost 80 bucks and all it was, was a brass tube with varying diameters at each end. Very cool guys but when the guy handed me the part, it was not what I needed, cost $80 and the poor SOB (son of a biker) stopped work on a $30,000 part to knock my thing out just 'cause it was cool. He thought, past tense, motorized bicycles were.

Next, a plasma cutter!

Just ranting. Is just a bummer to get that look when ya came up with a really cool thunk and can't get it made.

I have been talking to some guys about opening a sort of co-op/communal shop. An electrical engineer, artist, welder and some other tradesman. If it works out, gonna call it the "Hack-Shack" Just a shared work space were ya can just ask the guy next to ya; "how would you do this?"
Yeah, today I'll go back to the machine shop with freewheel and sprocket.

If I had the workspace, I'd buy cool tools too.
Old 12-22-2011, 09:06 PM

Yea, cool tools are great to have, but if you'll only use them once in a blue moon... why drop a grand, eh? We need to re-read Norm's casting metals thread. He's built a machine shop out of scrap metal, basically

So my modded mount held up pretty good after "riding it like I stole" if for a good 1/2 hour for a good stress test. It screams too, I'd bet if I had a 36t it'd keep up with my 29er easily. I'm running no head gasket, after lapping head/jug from 220 down to 1500, trimmed skirt, cleaned transfer ports, port matched, mmmm... Or as Tim the Toolman would say, "Arrgh arrgh argh argh"

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner