Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 12-10-2011, 03:09 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skarrd View Post
so the car club i'm on has a thread like this. here's the link in case anyone wants to know just what i'm talking about

so to start of with...

Rode my motor bike around my neighbor hood, and found a 'your speed is:' sign. had some fun with it, going past the sign.
I have one of those. My personal best is 31mph...
Old 12-10-2011, 10:45 PM

Found some hilly areas & went for a cruise. Broke down about 3 different ways lol
Pretty cool, though. It was a great ride in a nice area I've never seen, & I spotted & fixed some mechanical problems out on the road. That's a skill I've always admired. Now if I can just get the "prevention" part down....

Old 12-11-2011, 12:50 AM
Motorized Bicycle Member

A few weeks ago I decided I would stop following instructions and start doing what made sense to me.

Bought high-end ($10 USD/quart) racing oil and backed my oil mix down to 32/1. The engine is a China girl w/ about 800-1,200 miles on it.

After shortening the chain as much as possible and making sure my drive sprocket/ left sprocket alignment was perfect I dropped my chain tensioner entirely. I don't use a chain tensioner at all.

Let my carb lay at the 30 degree tilt it likes rather than the straight up orientation that is recommended.

200 miles later the effects are: mileage is WAY down; like 60 MPG down from 120 MPG . is is mostly due to the carb change of course and the fact that I have also stopped being such a girly-girl and now push my engine as hard as a bloody well feel like it.

The chain has slipped off the drive sprocket ONCE, just a few days ago. This happened on a very rough stretch or pavement and I suspect my perfect alignment was momentarily not so perfect. (i.e. my frame or rim twisted). Now that it has stretched some I may take just one or two more links out of the chain.

Over all I am getting better top speed and better performance and more pleasure/satisfaction out of my rides.

I started building/riding gas bikes this summer so maybe I am just coming to the point where I saying to myself "Dude, you have some idea what you are doing; run with it."

Feels good man.

Last edited by KDB; 12-11-2011 at 12:53 AM.
Old 12-11-2011, 02:06 AM
Motorized Bicycle Member

3 a.m. here on the East Coast, just got back from 7-11; needed donuts.
Note to self: drinking 5 glasses of wine and getting on a gas-bike may or may not be legal but it is probably not a good idea.

Stay clean kids.
Old 12-11-2011, 02:11 AM

I built another bike for a customer Saturday afternoon, it was in a local parade that same evening. Quick ride around the block before I let it be ridden, to make sure it was solid. No problems. Designed flyers for him to hand out too. Busy busy.

Get to start on a '63 tandem too ^^)

Lots of fun!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SAM_0133.jpg (492.9 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg SAM_0127.jpg (587.5 KB, 46 views)
Old 12-11-2011, 02:29 AM

Christmas came early.

The mailman brought me a tach from ebay:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Tachometer-H...item336f38595b

a pocket bike chain guard and two chain tensioners:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/47cc-49cc-Mt...63201173724703

1/2" ID fuel hose for my oil dispenser:

Brunton fuel pump, which screws directly to my existing bottle:

1/2" brass fittings and valves arrived earlier this week.

Tach came with instructions, should be easy to install. Need to make a bracket.

Aluminum chainguard is thin. The Tanaka expansion pipe needs to be moved 1/4" outward to clear the guard. Since the pipe is MUCH thicker, I might just leave the pipe alone and trim the guard to clear the pipe. The supplied chain tensioners are smaller than the one I made from a skateboard wheel. To clear the chain guard, skateboard wheel or new tensioners will have to be relocated further from the drive sprocket.

I didn't realize that the 1/2" brass fittings would be so heavy! Maybe I'll keep the 1/2" hose and downsize to smaller fittings and valves.

The fuel pump pick up line is too short, since the bottle is laid down, not upright as in my cage. It should be no problem to lengthen the pickup inside the bottle.

I have 10 days' vacation soon, so I'll rebuild my wheelset, regrease my gear box and install everything else then.

Last edited by 5-7HEAVEN; 12-11-2011 at 02:43 AM.
Old 12-11-2011, 03:32 PM

Weekly maintenance day today, with a couple of other jobs.

The beast refused to start first thing in the morning earlier this week, seemed to feel more like dribbling gas than anything else. So today I checked it out, seems the float valve in the carb wasn't closing enough. The fuel bowl gasket was fine, gas was flowing up and out of the carb though. Minor bend to the lever and it's fine now. I'd love to know why something that was working fine changes over 12 hours or so unattended. Ran it for a few minutes to be sure and it was very eager to start up and go. No leaking or dripping apparent right now.

Second task was adjusting the motor's position by a bit. It had settled a little in frame after running for a week or two, and was leaning a fraction to the left, bringing it close (less than 1/16") to my crank. It's back to having a bit over 1/8" clear again. Yeah, it's a tight fit, but it fits.

Everything's tight and torqued, tires pressure checked and filled, horn's air bottle is full, tank's full, and it's ready to roll so I expect it to be raining tomorrow despite a clear forecast.

-=-

Any day that starts with a good ride is already a better day, and a bad day riding still beats a good day working.

My Builds: My Beast, Harley59's bike, my Cruiser
Old 12-11-2011, 03:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KDB View Post
3 a.m. here on the East Coast, just got back from 7-11; needed donuts.
Note to self: drinking 5 glasses of wine and getting on a gas-bike may or may not be legal but it is probably not a good idea.

Stay clean kids.
I don't know if mixing wine and donuts is a good idea!

One time my sister ran out of orange juice, and mixed Tequilla and orange Kool-Aid!

VERY BAD IDEA!!!!!!!

Old 12-11-2011, 04:18 PM

have to let the prime dry so thought of some ideas and decided im not gonna put the deraileur when i reassemble it.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:50 PM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

I added a billet velocity stack from JNMotors to a modded speed carb. The standard air filter restricted it to the point it would hardly start I thought it had a fuel bock hence new filter and line. Once an aftermarket filter was fitted that made all the difference, I think the stack was hard up against the back of the standard filter when it was tightened. It did seem to give it better acceleration after some reaming of the stack to get it closer to the intake of the port of the carb.

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner