what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Frank, I always wanted to try that! 2 cool. Looking forward to seeing how it works out for you.

My thinking was use the gen to charge a battery that drove an ewheel.

bigdaddy1996

Jan 28, 2013
millville ca

Frank, I also had this idea but having one of those little generators from harbor freight power an electric motor. Has anyone tried this? dance1

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

That is it exactly Draco! lol

It solves so many problems. No transmission, less emissions with any engine working at optimum and steady RPM.

Anther thing on my "some day list" Steam electric pusher. Some thing real funky, old world steam punk looking.

freewheeling frank

Mar 10, 2009
ridgway colorado

this is a pemanent magnet motor so i could put a switch in there and make it drive, i just wanted to be able to charge my power supply,works good turning the wheel with a drill,power supply has compressor, inverter light etc, working on running 12v reefer now,all this should come in handy on camping trips.

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada

Dan,
I'm picturing a brass wrapped boiler with a rivetted top and bottom (could be faked) awash with copper and brass tubing and intersting brass and copper cylinders and an exposed piston rod or two driving the chain rings as it hisses steam.
Maybe a brass govener spinning on top of it all. :)

Steve.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

That's pretty cool with the small generator driving the trailer. Now that generators are so much smaller that ought to be the way to go. If you set it up right, you can probably have some kind of tool kit or lunch box in there, too. How will you control the speed ?

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ

so i think i managed to track down the vacuum leak, it seems to be coming from the hose coupling i have on the intake.

got some black RTV and coated the outside of the pipe and the inside of the coupler with it, then clamped it down tight, we'll see in about an hour if it helped.

russaroll

Oct 2, 2012
ca

i was going to put my new muffler on and go for a ride, but it doesn't fit right:( i need to heat it up and bend it a little. also discovered that the inside of my plug wire fell out.

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia

The inside of the factory spark plug cap fell out?
They are notorious for that.
Get yourself an NGK cap or replace the whole wire and cap as an assembly with an automotive one.

Trey

$50 Cruiser
Jan 17, 2013
Where cattle outnumber people 3 to 1.

so i think i managed to track down the vacuum leak, it seems to be coming from the hose coupling i have on the intake.

got some black RTV and coated the outside of the pipe and the inside of the coupler with it, then clamped it down tight, we'll see in about an hour if it helped.
That's GOTTA do it. Maybe even electrical tape?

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ

uugghhhhh....

so much for using the 24" frame... the rear dropouts bent and now i can't get the wheel to fit straight, as well as don't know if they have been compromised structurally. I get the feeling that even if i fix the dropouts they may crack and completely break apart.

time to find a light weight 26" steel frame. at least i have spare parts now.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON

That sucks Skarrdman. A peice of 2x4 cut to fit between, then hammer the dropouts back in line may work. Then some oversize washers inside and outside will help them stay inline too. May need an extra washer on the left side to keep the chain alignment in check though.

gl.

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ

That sucks Skarrdman. A peice of 2x4 cut to fit between, then hammer the dropouts back in line may work. Then some oversize washers inside and outside will help them stay inline too. May need an extra washer on the left side to keep the chain alignment in check though.

gl.
it doesn't look that bad and i could probably get it bent back in place, but it just worries me that the metal might have cracked in a place i can't see and could break even worse next time.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida

Starting to peck together the next build and shaking off the winter doldrums- only 50 degrees here in Jacksonville so no riding-

Put a little tiny 25 tooth front pedaling sprocket onto a steel one piece carnk so I can use the 17 single freewheel thats been in the drawyer,

to keep a really light peddling gear-
and the chain links will be MINIMUM-
surprised at how light it is then- the build is almost ready to take out and ride a bit without the motor

Huffy cruiser with 26 wheels this time 1.95 smooth tires- staying small and this much rubber because it's gonna have a a HUGE wald basket on the front and saddlebag baskets on the back

66 chrome motor with speed carb and 36 sprocket-

anno red with anno blue trim- proabably paint the baskets some color-
Wal-Mart out of anno paint now- temporary or closed out for good?
I think you can still get it online- they have a green they NEVER sell at the store too.

happycheapskate

Nov 26, 2009
Rockwall TX

I installed a 3 speed freewheel ($10 on ebay), and cleaned my drivetrain really well.
I am trying to decide whether to use a staton throttle lever or old friction shifter like I have been doing, or to use an old gripshift as a twist throttle.