Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:24 PM
Gutter Rider

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Great crash vid, Happy!
Glad you didn't wreck the camera, or the bike much, and of course, yourself.

Ha! I feel like 'The Dude', listening to your soundtrack while I was doing something else at the table... 4 stroking along... heck, mine is FAR worse!
...and we gotta get you to loosen up your throttle cable or lower the idle just a tad.

I'm a highly experience HT mekanik now... lol my ht will idle nice ! lol
It's ALL tore up now for the clutch work. Will get back to speed improvements once that is resolved...

I've tried SO many times to watch the goat's 10min video but always have trouble with the feed. WiFi... Oh well...

Those are GREAT WIDE tires GH has got... I looked at his tube link.
mebbe I float a bank loan to get set up that way... :-)

Hey! Anyone wanna talk abt their camera and video technique?
I got a old panasonic that uses a DVtape... but never even tried to get anything over to the pc... I'd like to ! Guess I don't know nuthin abt it.

Really enjoy the vids when my link is flying! Tnx!
rc
Old 08-30-2011, 12:45 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

I used to make videos with a DV cam, & to hook the camera's rca cables to the computer I used a special graphics card with a dongle hanging out of it.
HERE'S A DONGLE FOR A BUCK

Basically, if the camera has rca inputs that match the red/white/yellow plugs (or the black one), AND the back of your pc has an open slot that looks like the other end of the dongle, you should be good. Just find some free video capture software & you should be in business. Let me know if you need more than that.....send me a PM or we'll start a thread. Video is what I do.

Also, if your camera has firewire & so does your pc, you should be ready to go. Plug one into the other, turn it on, & a window should pop up telling you what's next. The newer the technology, the easier it gets.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:52 AM

I forgot this was the what-did-you-do-today thread....

Today I broke the bank on a new rear wheel & tire. 12 gauge spokes, steel rim, Crossroads Armadillo tire. The tire's crazy thick.

Old 08-30-2011, 12:56 AM
Gutter Rider

Wow that really open up some ideas! Anim8. I always wondered what all the pins do? Armadillos are good tires!

I took the air box thingy off today. The organelle foam air filter compressed inside over time and got too restrictive. Also the cable tie plastic sleeve deal melted on one side. It was not fuel proof. I simply unscrewed it off ran around the block and the bike ran great again right where I left my last carb fuel air screw adjustment. . I simply have the foam filter back on. I am on to a way cool definitely unrestricted idea tho.

Last edited by Goat Herder; 08-30-2011 at 12:59 AM.
Old 08-30-2011, 02:00 AM

All the pins on firewire or VGA? You can find pinouts really easily online.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J96gcKODYJY
Old 08-30-2011, 04:40 AM

To Rustycase

It idles up like that with the idle screw backed out all the way. It is not leaks. It is the muffler and boost bottle doing it. It is a 5hp briggs lawnmower muffler with a 1" deep box and no baffles, and just enough back pressure to run it well. I have run it on the middle notch of the carb before and it still did it, but did not run as well. Now it is on the next one down and pulls good and idles ok. I like the high idle anyway for the magneto powered headlight. You can hear it sing when accelerating at all or starting to work under load.

Here is an edited video of the same outing, start at 2:08 for pedal start and fun crackling sounds as it idles down the hill, then pulls away from a stop sign.
moped short clip ride 5min.wmv - YouTube

I'm not even running it wide open up that bridge at the end.

I try to keep around 20-30mph because I don't want tickets. I have a commercial drivers license and it is very valuable to me.

Last edited by happycheapskate; 08-30-2011 at 04:47 AM.
Old 08-30-2011, 04:49 AM

I saw a go-kart air filter made from a plastic lunch container and a dish sponge. haha
Old 08-30-2011, 04:55 AM

That gave me an idea Rusty. I found the plastic is broken on the throttle grip where the elbow noodle goes into it, probably from where it hits the stakes on my pickup bed when toting it on the truck. I can pull the cable out, do something about that cable routing and shorten the cable. the metal elbow hanging loose probably pulls on it just a little . Thanks!
Old 08-30-2011, 02:11 PM
Gutter Rider

I think I like the 5 minute vid length better than a 10 min one, Happy...
...lol even with de-emphasis on the 'jackass' part! lol and THAT guy REALLY bought it, big time, in his porsche... idiot. some people just don't learn soon enough.

glad to hear you found a prob that can be resolved with your throttle.

when looking through my pile of salvage bikes I have found that the quality, and 'suppleness' of some cables is far superior to most of them. much less drag in the housing! So I make up almost all my cables from scraps out of the pile, and look for the best ones. The throttle cable really doesn't need to be strong, like the clutch cable, or best I can find, for the brakes... It just needs to be really flexible to be sure it will idle down.

Thinkin back on my old days of dirtbikes with mikuni carbs, the spring in the slide of these china bikes sure is strong compared to what the minkunis had in them.

I still think you can go one size smaller on your main jet, then re-adjust your needle for that...

What camera and SW do you use for your vids????

Anim8r !!!!

Yah! Would you pls start a thread on how to make motorized bicycle vids?
I'd do it, but I'm just a clod and don't know nuthin abt it.

I got a 5yr old Panasonic GS300 that uses the DVtapes. No edit SW now, but would you recommend any freeware?

I'm even having trouble understanding the little tiny plug ports on the camera. lol

Where is best place to mount a cam on the MAB??? Handlebars for turning movement? Frame for stability? Helmet cam???

is anyone taking special precautions for like when Happy bailed out?

OK, I got no wheels! Gotta take a BICYCLE over to the parts house to see if they got the internal crank seals so I can start putting my motorized bicycle back together.

Also gonna check out a rear luggage rack from the pile, too.

Note to self: Next time I can, swing by the apartment complexes to check the dumpsters for bikes from the move-outs !

Gosh. That fancy new wheel, spokes, and tire sound GR8 !!!
rc
Old 08-30-2011, 03:22 PM

Hey RC I started a thread over here:

http://motorbicycling.com/f46/video-...tml#post321372

heading out to the wheel now!

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner