Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 07-18-2011, 11:53 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkhawk22 View Post
Took a ride on the motorized bicycle and got a pick in front of the water wheel that is in front of one of the nearby neighborhoods. I've since removed the headlight and will be placing a more 30's style one on and have also reworked the seat a bit to be closer to the frame, it sits just above the rear fender now.
link to higher rez???
awesome pic!!!!
Old 07-19-2011, 02:24 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

I just finished my first build about a week ago. still breaking it in.

Rode to work; 10 miles, suburban roads w/ moderate traffic.
Still riding side of the road like a bicycle.
I need more breaking power and experence to turn left like a motorvehicle instead of a pedesterian.
Old 07-20-2011, 01:27 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

I exercised my dog by allowing him to chase me down the street on my motor bike!!!

I imagine it must have looked like he was trying to attack me and I was running away.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:06 PM

Grumble... HT motors... I said I'd never own another one, and then I bought one. Today something happened and I*lost power... Still runs along at 20, but that's about it.
Wouldn't make it up my steep driveway. Grumble. Let it cool off and the cyl wall is all scraped up. Dandy.

I have a 13hp honda sitting in the back of my garage, runs mint... Hrmmmm

Last edited by Dan; 07-20-2011 at 03:23 PM.
Old 07-20-2011, 02:45 PM

lol@ Mike, careful someone doesn't take a shot at your puppy, heh heh.

Chris, that sucks. The first thing I did with my new motor was pull the head/jug, it had quite a few metal shavings/filings all over it Gotta check'em. 13hp would be crazy fast

I spent a couple hours in the sun polishing up a mottled/pitted intake. It was the style without the welded bend and flange, but looked like crap. Came out good. Gotta find the buffing wheel for Mr.Dremel and take some toothpaste to it, should be like a mirror(or close enough).

Top left is what it looked like,(eww), top right is before the 600 wetsand.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3in1.jpg (195.9 KB, 40 views)
Old 07-20-2011, 02:47 PM

Dry fitted the front hub from the 1965 Suzuki to the K10 forks on my new build today to see how it sits. Darn is that thing long.

Old 07-20-2011, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killercanuck View Post
Chris, that sucks. The first thing I did with my new motor was pull the head/jug, it had quite a few metal shavings/filings all over it Gotta check'em. 13hp would be crazy fast
Yea, I read a post a while back by you or someone else maybe about taking apart a brand new engine to metal crap inside it. Mine may have had that too, which damaged the cyl wall. And it took a few hundred miles of wear for the damaged wall to disintegrate on it's own. Who knows. I was just cruising along at about 30, not running lean, the occasional 4-stroke here and there. And it just suddenly started running bad. I thought it was a carb issue, so I kept on trucking. But when it wouldn't pull a steep hill I knew something worse than a carb problem was going on.

The 13 is a little... uhhh... large to fit in the frame of a bicycle. haha. It would take a lot of cutting and welding, which I'm not opposed to. And I could make a custom belt drive system, or somehow rig up a go-cart clutch to the motor.
One issue is that the piston comes out the side of the engine, and to have the engine spin the direction of the bike, the piston would need to face backwards. That makes space issue worse, otherwise I'd need some type of geartrain like the HT has.

The main issue is that the motorized bicycle limit is 50cc and 390cc is a little... uhhhh larger than that
Old 07-20-2011, 03:34 PM
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by asel.mike View Post
I exercised my dog by allowing him to chase me down the street on my motor bike!!!

I imagine it must have looked like he was trying to attack me and I was running away.
LOL Mike. I bet that was fun.

Way back some one was selling a dog tether that attached to the rear of a bike so "you can run you'r dog"

LOL, think about that one. The bike rider is thinking "well this is nice" Right before the dawg sees a critter and yells in his head; "Squirrel!!!!" and runs off to get the family dinner, taking the back of the bike along for the ride. Much to the dismay of the rider and front of the bike.

(Just really, really cracked me up)

Our baby Girl Shelly is a 70 LB Aussie Shepard. When I ride past the house she looks but makes no attempt to go for a run w/ me. I think she thinks it looks way to much like work. But let the poor mail carrier try and get to the porch! LOL, then it is on!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Sxv-sUYtM
Old 07-20-2011, 06:14 PM

put a new hayes front disc on a new frame and fork, still waiting for parts from ups to finish the bike
Old 07-20-2011, 06:31 PM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member

Applied a coat of 2 part epoxy tank sealant to my rear rack gas tank. Left it in an unventilated room to dry all night by my bedside; let me tell you about the cat I saw clawing at my face and it dodging my periphery as I tried to instill it with my gaze. ;-) I wasn't outright huffing it, but I guess that's the effect I saw... I didn't think the fumes would be that much. Now I know.

Coming up next...
  1. shorten drive chain with a wipperman half link
  2. clean 4 stroke engine head and jug area with some rust and corrosion remover, sand it up, clean it again, and touch it up with some engine paint
  3. clean, sand, clean again, and finish with paint the few mild steel parts of rear rack supporting brackets
  4. clean, sand, clean again, and finish with paint the one-wheeled trailer, especially the bottom of it
  5. fabricate final aluminum supporting brackets for the rear rack tank
  6. buy some everyday items for maintenance of motorized bicycle
    • triflow lubrication
    • degreasing solvent (I might just use simple green in a spray bottle)
    • motorcycle cover (I might just use a large rain tarp with some bungee cords)
    • etc.
  7. special order the final batch of shift kit related & engine related parts for the season
    • Hd freewheel front
    • jackshaft bearings (with necessary spacers)
    • jackshaft 5/8" keyed
    • 215mm bottom bracket for 4 stroke
    • 17T and 9T jackshaft sprockets
    • freewheel adaptor (with necessary spacer)
    • 30T & 48T drive sprockets
    • Teflon coated throttle cable (*2)
    • 4 stroke spark plug
    • aluminum exhaust gasket
    • etc.
  8. special order the final batch of bicycle related parts for the season

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner