Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 06-07-2011, 10:58 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

The car is fine. I have a garage full of parts, not worried about pulling engines and transmissions, swapping, welding stuff together. Silly thing will go forever with enough love.
Old 06-07-2011, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisme View Post
The car is fine. I have a garage full of parts, not worried about pulling engines and transmissions, swapping, welding stuff together. Silly thing will go forever with enough love.
Nothing like a little TLC to get a car perked up ......huh!

Good to hear you have it all under control chrisme.

Peace

Old 06-08-2011, 11:56 AM

Fired it up and rode it... Damn this build is reliable. I haven't had one problem with it!! yay
Old 06-08-2011, 12:43 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

woke up this morning to find fuel all over the floor, couldn't ride her. damn cns carb...
Old 06-08-2011, 12:48 PM

I always close the fuel valve when I'm leaving it for a while. Regardless of the carb, it's a good idea.

Did some joy riding!!

http://motorbicycling.com/f16/riding...tml#post292741
Old 06-08-2011, 01:02 PM

Nice vids. Awesome scenery! Thank you for sharing.
also, nice turnaround in your driveway .

Does not come with a fortune cookie."
Old 06-08-2011, 09:29 PM

experimitting with handle bars among other thangs
Old 06-08-2011, 11:29 PM

On my way to work, the 8mm(T8F) engine drive train jumped off the new 72t chainring sprocket. This happened atop a moderate hillside, the biggest obstacle along my daily route. I pulled over onto the sidewalk, wrapped the chain around the big sprocket and motored off to work. This all took less than a minute. I made a mental note to doublecheck this when I arrived home.

I noticed that this larger sprocket greatly improves acceleration in low, medium and top end. In fact, the first three gears wind out very quickly, allowing me to better use the rest of the cassette's gearing. With this new sprocket, it is much easier to ride up the steep ramp at work.

The 72t sprocket was well worth the $10 I paid for it on ebay.

I pulled into the Chevron station and refueled after work. Gas prices are dropping here. At $3.86/gallon, my bike took about $3.30 to fill the four-liter tank. I've been filling my tank every 8-9 days. That amounts to less than $15 a month to commute to work. Compare that to $500 monthly to operate a third vehicle in our family, plus the cost of buying a car.

Traffic was gridlocked for a few blocks before my biggest hill, so I hopped onto the sidewalk and motored along at jogging speed. After that, it was smooth sailing uphill. Top speed on the hill's plateau exceeded 40 mph for a few seconds. This is in a 35 mph zone, which was still too slow to keep up with the cars. Nevertheless, I still claimed the lane and watched the drivers speed away. I guess they're all trying to make up for lost time, before they hit the next slowdown on their way home.

Upon reaching home, I always park under the cool shade tree. There, I wipe down my bike and check everything. I noticed that the pocket bike freewheel on the engine sprocket was loose and wobbly. This could account for the 8mm engine chain jumping off the new sprocket. I have a spare pocket bike freewheel ($12), which I'll install this weekend. I also inspected the frame's bottom bracket. The left-side adjustment looks flush with the frame, but the right side looks like it's sticking out about .060". The adjustment could be loose there. It could also be the fact that the frame took awful beatings from the chain repeatedly falling off and scraping the carp out of it. This all happened until I finally solved the chain jumping problem late last year. When I replace the freewheel, I'll inspect the bottom bracket.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:12 AM
Motorized Bicycle Member

changed my c*appy brake pads, adjusted my chain tension, fixed my fuel leak problem, adjusted my floats, rejetted my carb, replaced all my fuel lines and filters, went to fill up at the gas station ($1.90) and answer about 20 questions about my bike.

seem to have developed a new problem now, my rear wheel looks wobbly when its rollin so it might have a few bent spokes in it, need to find some replacements now...

cheers!
Old 06-09-2011, 08:12 AM

I took a nap this afternoon and woke up at 830 pm, feeling regreshed. The loose freewheel on my chainring sprocket was on my mind, so I decided to replace it. That would give me an opportunity to inspect the bottom bracket.
Nothing was loose.The cartridge was installed slightly off in the bottom bracket, towards the chainring. I noticed that the same amount sticking out on the chainring side was sticking in on the left side of the bottom bracket.

No big deal.

After soaking the new pocket bike freewheel in oil, I installed it and reassembled the chainring sprockets. One of the Scooterguy mounting through studs was crossthreaded. This was the stud which pivots and secures the engine plate, so I replaced the stud and nuts.

The sprocket on the pocket bike gear box seemed to have excessive side clearance on its shaft. A mental note was made to find a shim/washer to stabilize the 11t sprocket. Unfortunately, the Tanaka engine's exhaust pipe must be removed to get to that sprocket.

Otherwise, everything is in place, and the bike is ready for today's commute in five hours.

Can't wait for daylight!

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner