Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 05-09-2011, 04:18 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

Had a meeting with friends one of them had drills for carburetor jets so I soldered my jet and drilled it to 76, it ran strong I think I could go smaller but it's vary good for now and the E clip should be played with before I change the jet any more.I have a 14.5 ml, trip each way in the morning I think my bike will do better then ever!
Old 05-09-2011, 05:14 AM

played with my new gt lts today got is all together and tiding with no motor yet but it will be one sweet ride wen i get the motor in. it had a rapid fire shifter that i will use with the shifr kit and starfire gt4.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:16 AM

going to start a thread on my gt lts build soon but just waiting to save the money fot the shift kit then i can start the documentation an dthe thread so u guys dnt have to wait a month to see it finished
Old 05-09-2011, 02:29 PM
Staff

LOL Map and Goat. There is a merchant Mariner joke about the 3 biggest lies; "Your relief is in the air. Your check is in the mail and your wife figured out how to start the lawn mower"

40 motorized bicycle lies. Speed. Hill climbing and MPG? Now we just need 37 more.

Moved my motorized bicycle to get at (oddly enough) the lawn mower. My shop/garage is slightly more crowded then Tom's. Might get a ride in if I mow fast enough, lol.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Sxv-sUYtM
Old 05-09-2011, 02:42 PM

went for a ride today.... too freakin' windy for a fun ride. poor motor was struggling to keep the bike going.

Quote:
Originally Posted by biknut View Post
Traditional bicycle riders think we're cheaters. Non riders think our bikes are toys. Bicycle shops think we're a threat. Tree huggers think we're polluters. The police don't know what to think.
Old 05-09-2011, 05:40 PM

The roads were wet all Saturday and dried up Sunday afternoon, so I went for a test run. The Tanaka 47R engine started easily, so I took an easy ride into the park to feel the bike out. Both brakes felt soft, so I readjusted their cables tighter. A 203 mm disc brake is in the mail, and I'll install it by next weekend. There were no clearance issues between front tire and expansion pipe.

The engine ran well but seemed rich, which was odd. I had just replaced the restrictive HT expansion pipe, eight inches of silicone tubing and an SBT lawn mower-type bullet muffler with a Tanaka-specific three-piece pipe, OEM muffler and 39" of silicone exhaust tubing. After running my five-mile route to town, I leaned it out 1/16 turn on both screws. The FRAM automotive fuel filter was almost empty at idle. There must be a crack in it, but the engine wasn't starving for fuel. I'll replace the filter before running it again.

The engine seemed to pick up speed more quickly. It reached 43 mph on the flats. On the really steep hills, speeds dropped down to 25mph, which is okay with me. No one was behind me on the six-lane boulevard, or I would've pulled to the far right.

The engine started out pretty quiet, but got very noisy on the way home. I forgot to install an exhaust gasket at the OEM muffler-to-silencer connection. The engine was also leaking oil at the exhaust port and head pipe slip-fit connection, so I'll fix that. My son had mentioned that the neck of the pipe was going to be close to my right leg. Sure enough, my bare leg kissed the pipe twice, which left a slight burn mark on my inner thigh above the knee. I'll have to wrap the pipe with protection at the neck to prevent further burns.

Interestingly, there was absolutely no oil spitting out of the 39" silicone tubing. That saves me at least 30 minutes of cleaning the oil off of the tire, wheel, spokes, frame and rear disc rotor. I guess the oil spitting out of the engine is pooling in the belly of the pipe and in the OEM muffler. Hope that doesn't hurt anything.

After about 10 seconds of WOT, I killed the engine and pedalled home. When time permits, I'll pull the spark plug and check to see if the engine is running lean or rich.

Last edited by 5-7HEAVEN; 05-09-2011 at 05:44 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 12:15 AM

I built new exhaust for 2 of my bikes today, nothing real fancy but they sound good, a bit loud but a nice tone.

I went to one of our local Muffler Shops ( Best Little Muffler Shop In Texas ) this morning and had him cut me 2 pieces of pipe 6" long and then spread the end of each so that they would fit over the mower muffler, I used my metal/chop saw to cut the angle on it, the deverter plate that is up inside the muffler has been drilled out so it doesn't cause to much back pressure, the lead off/header pipe shows in the pic how I matched the gasket to the engine and then modified the header to be matched to the gasket that matches the engine port, I polished the ground area on the falnge so it is smoothe as a babies butt, this exhaust flows really good and is pretty simple to make with the right tools and is way better than the stock mufflers even though I used the stock header pipe after I reshaped the flange - gasket - port opening.

pics of some of the proccess included, I didnt take pics of when I cut the threaded end of the mower mufler or when I brazed it all together.

I will post pics of the exhaust on the bike in another post right after I post this one because I've used my 5 limit already....

Peace
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bike muffler1.jpg (41.1 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg bike muffler2.jpg (38.6 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg bike muffler3.jpg (42.1 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg bike muffler4.jpg (46.5 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg mufflerflange2.jpg (29.7 KB, 46 views)
Old 05-10-2011, 12:21 AM

Here are pics of my super dirty bike with the new exhaust on it, oh the joy of living in the country with miles of dirt roads in every direction......LOL! cant keep anything clean around these parts....

Peace
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bikewith muffler1.jpg (96.3 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg bikewith muffler2.jpg (91.9 KB, 45 views)
Old 05-10-2011, 03:18 AM

ordered a set of bb5 semi-metalic pads for the bike.

Quote:
Traditional bicycle riders think we're cheaters. Non riders think our bikes are toys. Bicycle shops think we're a threat. Tree huggers think we're polluters. The police don't know what to think.
Old 05-10-2011, 01:39 PM

decided to do a plug chop with a spare plug i have

result

i can't do it correctly, lol. don't have enough room to run it for a couple minutes at WOT.

also hit the kill switch at WOT and forgot to put the throttle down... suddenly POP POP POP! i think i might need to change my pants from brix being expelled... XD

so i just kept lowering the clip on the needle (going richer), and would watch my mph to see if it went up or not. made it go up 2 mph. thinking of drilling the jet a size richer.

Quote:

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner