Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:20 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default Re: what did you do to your motor bike today?

LOL I hear ya there Dan. It looks even worse when you have a large tank by typical motorized bicycle standards I think. I get a lot of comments on my 1.25 gallon aluminum hemorrhoid!

I swore I added fuel last week...my bike usually takes $2 every 7-10 days. I put $2.50 in it tonight and tank is only half full atm! I think I missed a week...
Old 04-19-2011, 09:21 AM

Rode the bike a bit yesterday evening, nice ride at almost dusk. Muffler started to come loose as I forgot to check the nuts holding it on (Note: need to get high temp threadlock) and had to ride home with it dangling and only nut partially holding it to the bike. Nice and loud!

I ran out of gas when I first started riding, guess I was too excited to fill with gas, luckily it was only in my neighborhood so only about 1/2 mile. On the gas note I did find a local place to buy ethanol free gas from but haven't started to use it yet.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:22 AM
Staff

Still can't find ethanol free gas here! Gonna try an airport but frankly, am sure I am gonna annoy some one and alarm them. Big silly helmet and on a MB. Kinda look like I am an eccentric with explosive shoes or under clothing. Add trying to buy aviation fuel to that, am sure some one will be making some phone calls. (LOL, "A Hartford man was detained today at Brainard field. He was armed with a motorized bicycle and a helmet. ..." Snicker)

Muffler sealer works great and is cheaper DarkHawk. I've taken to using it any where you would use loctight. Think its 2 or 3 bucks at any hardware store for a good sized tube. Lasts me over a yr and am a chronic builder. Once they freeze though, turns almost useless.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Sxv-sUYtM
Old 04-19-2011, 12:52 PM

If I didn't have to ride 20 to 25 miles to get aviation fuel that is what I would be running.
Old 04-19-2011, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan View Post
Still can't find ethanol free gas here! Gonna try an airport but frankly, am sure I am gonna annoy some one and alarm them.
Every marina I have heard of sells ethanol free gas. It seems that ethanol blended gas ruins fuel systems in carbureted boat engines. Due to that being a safety factor when a boat is far off shore, the use of ethanol free gas is wholeheartedly encouraged and easily available.

Does not come with a fortune cookie."
Old 04-19-2011, 04:05 PM

I finish this gallon of fuel and I'm switching to Trick raceing gas. I'm a mile as the crow flies from a station that has it in a pump. That and switching to an oil made for air-cooled 2-strokes. My compression is really high so I'm thinking of adding the minimal amount of Klotz Nitromethane to the mix. Not too much for power, more for the octane raising factor

The marinas here arn't too far but the closest is over a hill, a very steep, long hill. A gut-busting, motor wrecking SOB of a hill. I get my fuel and I have the other side of that same hill to climb :P I'm planning a video of the ride from the bottom at Sandy Point, up past Lucky Peak Dam and on up to Hill Top then the other side climb, Robie Creek Bridge to Hill Top. I'll have my new motor when I try this. I expect to melt down the one I use

Last edited by DaveC; 04-19-2011 at 04:12 PM.
Old 04-19-2011, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearNut View Post
Every marina I have heard of sells ethanol free gas. It seems that ethanol blended gas ruins fuel systems in carbureted boat engines. Due to that being a safety factor when a boat is far off shore, the use of ethanol free gas is wholeheartedly encouraged and easily available.
After years of boating all I can to tell you about Boat Marina gas prices is they are usually as much as a $1 or more a gallon than local station prices.
It's that whole 'captive audience' thing.

I got the drive train mounted in my NuVinci Cadillac build today.

Not bad considering the motor and JS kit were still in their boxes when I started this morning I thought. I have never pulled of both parts in a single day before.

Other than the common port matching of the stock intake and exhaust pipes she is just a stock legal 48cc 2010 Skyhawk motor wise.
I must admit I am truly impressed with the bike however.
This is no Wally World Huffy and I don't mean the NuVinci Hub and Disc Brake either, I mean things like the frame, BB, headset, seat, even the tires.

I used Sick Bikes new ver 2 Jackshaft and front mounts and the unit dropped right in almost perfect.

It is level, but I had to use a couple of their included spacers so the right side chain would clear the bottom of the motor or I would have mounted it even lower, but that's OK, there is still plenty of room in the middle.
Old 04-20-2011, 02:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GearNut View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCvale View Post
After years of boating all I can to tell you about Boat Marina gas prices is they are usually as much as a $1 or more a gallon than local station prices.
For some clarity on the boat/ethanol issue, check this: Yamaha Outboard FAQs

I unno about the west coast GearNut, but I can assure you on the east coast that if they tell you it's "ethanol free" at a marina fueling station - they're lying. Most if not all marinas get their fuel from exactly the same trucks that supply the local gas stations - so, if those gas stations don't have ethanol free fuel then the marinas wouldn't have it either - and if the gas stations did have it, you'd obv not need to pay the additional price at the marina heh

KCvale - while yer right about price gouging (if anything it's far worse than a dollar) there is the fact they do have to pay additional transport costs and storage fees (licensing & insurance etc) so... if it was jus' a dollar more I'd be OK w/it... sadly, they really do get ya on that "captive audience" convenience thing... marinas are a total ripoff and should be avoided

Question tho, how many marinas do ya have in Arizona o_O

Last edited by BarelyAWake; 04-20-2011 at 03:43 AM.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
I finish this gallon of fuel and I'm switching to Trick raceing gas. I'm a mile as the crow flies from a station that has it in a pump. That and switching to an oil made for air-cooled 2-strokes. My compression is really high so I'm thinking of adding the minimal amount of Klotz Nitromethane to the mix. Not too much for power, more for the octane raising factor

The marinas here arn't too far but the closest is over a hill, a very steep, long hill. A gut-busting, motor wrecking SOB of a hill. I get my fuel and I have the other side of that same hill to climb :P I'm planning a video of the ride from the bottom at Sandy Point, up past Lucky Peak Dam and on up to Hill Top then the other side climb, Robie Creek Bridge to Hill Top. I'll have my new motor when I try this. I expect to melt down the one I use
How do you think the Trick Race fuel is going to work for you cause i have a pump less then 1/2mile from my house but don't know if it would be good to run or if it worth the money for these china girls.
Old 04-20-2011, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KCvale View Post

I got the drive train mounted in my NuVinci Cadillac build today.

Not bad considering the motor and JS kit were still in their boxes when I started this morning I thought. I have never pulled of both parts in a single day before.

Other than the common port matching of the stock intake and exhaust pipes she is just a stock legal 48cc 2010 Skyhawk motor wise.
I must admit I am truly impressed with the bike however.
This is no Wally World Huffy and I don't mean the NuVinci Hub and Disc Brake either, I mean things like the frame, BB, headset, seat, even the tires.

I used Sick Bikes new ver 2 Jackshaft and front mounts and the unit dropped right in almost perfect.

It is level, but I had to use a couple of their included spacers so the right side chain would clear the bottom of the motor or I would have mounted it even lower, but that's OK, there is still plenty of room in the middle.
That bike looks awesome can't wait to see it finished. I have a cheapy walmart cranbrook frame motorized bicycle but it don't look as good as that. Sorry for the bike rack in the way.

Tags
clutch, motorized bicycle, oil, tensioner