Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Stretch Cruiser & Chopper Motorized Bicycles

Stretch Cruiser & Chopper Motorized Bicycles This area is for sharing all about our custom stretch cruisers and choppers.

Dual Drive Freewheel on OCC-XL Choppers

This area is for sharing all about our custom stretch cruisers and choppers.

Old 05-26-2010, 03:03 PM
Dealer

Default Dual Drive Freewheel on OCC-XL Choppers

Ok now I have a challenge I'm thinking about running a Left Hand / Right Hand Dual Drive Freewheel on my OCC Chopper & XL Chopper Builds.

Here's a few pic's or rear wheel left side & right side. The right side has a freewheel sprocket and I'd like to add a freewheel sprocket to left side.

Why?

Answer: If this is possible I won't have to use a jackshaft to switch honda 4-stroke 50cc pit / dirt bike drive train to right side rear freewheel sprocket.

I would in then have two or a Dual Drive rear freewheeling HUB / Wheel.

I would still have my pedal power driven right side rear freewheeling sprocket, and on the left side I'd have a motor driven rear freewheeling sprocket at the rear wheel !!! YEAH !

The reason I'm trying to do this is that with the chinese cloned honda pit / dirtbike engine, when you place it into the frame the engine drive sprocket lines up almost perfectly with rear wheel axle.

On the OCC Choppers & XL Choppers you have almost 1-1/4" thats one & one quarter inches of free space on left side of rear wheel and the Hub appears to have flange diameter of 1-1/4"s also.

If anyone has suggestions or know where to purchase these please share this info.

Here's the pic's of XL Chopper rear hub & wheel:

Notice all this space / room for a possible left side drive freewheel sprocket.

Peace Crazy Horse.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:33 PM
Dealer

Default Re: Dual Drive Freewheel on OCC-XL Choppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastalCruiser View Post
I may be going out on a limb here, but, Iv'e seen hub adapters for OCC hubs. The only real reason to jackshaft is to use a shifting hub ( or to deal with an offset). Are you planning on installing a multi-speed cassette or hub in the OCC wheel?
What I'm trying to do is not use a jackshaft on a chinese cloned Honda CT 70 / Mini Trail 50 engine, and I'd like to find a dual drive dual freewheel sprocket.

Here's a pic of the motor on a Honda CT 70 Trail Bike & a pic of i-paints Stretch Micargi with same type of motor only he has used the jackshaft option:

Here's i-paints Stretch Micargi using same type motor, but with a jackshaft:

Hope that explains it, not going to use multi-speed cassette.

The chinese cloned Honda engine I'm using is a fully automatic transmission, with a fixed motor driven sprocket mounted on rear wheel I won't be able to pedal the bike as the motor driven side will spin.

Thanks for the reply CC.

C.H.
Old 05-26-2010, 03:49 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

I am watching this thread for an answer as well. I will also try to do some research into the subject because I have similar needs
Old 05-26-2010, 04:11 PM
Dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerrontheSnake View Post
I am watching this thread for an answer as well. I will also try to do some research into the subject because I have similar needs

Here's pic of a BMX Dual Drive Hub:

This one is a Left Hand Side threaded & Right Hand Side threaded:

Terron I'm hoping that Jim ( Manic Mechanic / Creative Engineering ), and Neat Times ( Ron ) see this thread and offer any suggestions, as they both have experience with freewheel sprockets.

I'm not sure those two Hubs above will be compatible with the OCC Chopper & the XL Chopper!

I called Jim today and I'm waiting to hear back from him.

C.H.
Old 05-26-2010, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy Horse View Post
Here's pic of a BMX Dual Drive Hub:

This one is a Left Hand Side threaded & Right Hand Side threaded:

Terron I'm hoping that Jim ( Manic Mechanic / Creative Engineering ), and Neat Times ( Ron ) see this thread and offer any suggestions, as they both have experience with freewheel sprockets.

I'm not sure those two Hubs above will be compatible with the OCC Chopper & the XL Chopper!

I called Jim today and I'm waiting to hear back from him.

C.H.
CH, You can purchase left hand thread free wheels from Staton. i-paint

Last edited by i-paint; 05-26-2010 at 05:12 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 10:44 PM

Just a dumb question CH but aren't those automatic transmissions just a CVT and if so it shouldn't matter if the motor side spins because on a CVT the faster the driven pully is spun without the drive pulley engaged the looser the belt gets.
Old 05-27-2010, 04:43 AM
a guy who makes cool bikes

i thought about this with a china doll motor, but with a engine side freewheel, you'd ned a pull start. but it would be awesome for coasting, because the motor would stay at idle and the chain wouldn't be slapping around like crazy. but you couldn't pedal to start it.

another problem, if you use a "flip-flop" hub, both sides are threaded the same, so the freewheel would spin off of one side (depending on if you have a left hand or a right hand drive hub.)

i was looking at hubs today, actually, and was thinking i could put a fixed gear on the engine side and a freewheel on the pedal side, then weld the fix gear on, due to the unthreading problem i mentioned above.

dunno if i'll ever get around to trying it...
Old 05-27-2010, 08:00 AM

HybriPed (Hybrid Pedal) Sprocket - $49.99

Freewheel Sprocket & HD Axle Kit w/Brake - $49.99

I don't know if this would work or even be the look you are going for. I just saw it a few weeks ago and thought it was kind of cool. The second link is the heavy duty hub that I used on my bike. I'm sure the length of the axle wouldn't work for you, but you might be able to use the freewheel part and make an adapter to fit your hub. What you are doing is exactly what I did(except for not using a jackshaft). Freewheel on both sides and I love it. I will tell you that when the engine sprocket freewheels, it is kind of tricky to get used to with this type of engine. It feels like it will throw your back out when the bike is coasting and you throttle up too fast, the engine takes a second or two to catch up with the rpm's of the sprocket. When it does catch up, it is going somewhere! Have to be conscious of it and throttle up slowly until the freewheel engages. Then you can hammer down on it. It scared the crap out of me a couple of times when I first got it going. The little engine has so much torque that I thought the bike was gonna come out from under me when I gassed on it coasting down a hill.

Last edited by civlized; 05-27-2010 at 01:15 PM.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:33 AM
The Boy Who Never Grew Up

Interesting thread. I hope you guys come up with something and admire very much what you're trying to do. Pioneers
Old 05-27-2010, 10:16 AM

do a google search on flip flop hubs, also since the motor has a clutch the left side could just be a disk brake type and bolt the sprocket to that.