Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:42 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Default disc brake

Hello all
Well I'm thinkin brakes now that I'm traveling at the speed of sound (thanks alot SBP) I rarely use my front brakes being that they grab so well and I'm afraid of things going sideways. any thoughts on rear discs or ideas to keep me upright?
Thanks
Evan
Old 04-20-2010, 10:09 AM
Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles

Default Re: disc brake

You should practice using the front brake! As with all two wheeled vehicles, the front brake is responsible for 90% of the total stopping power!

Get used to it, learn it, love it... That front brake is your best friend!

Follow VMB on facebook>>> facebook.com/VeniceMotorBikes

Follow VMB on Instagram>>> instagram.com/venicemotorbikes
Old 04-20-2010, 11:10 AM
Motorized Bicycle Member

you can buy a new brake handle that allows both front and back break wires to connect to one handle. this allows you to pulls both breaks at the same time. i haven't gotten one yet myself, but it seems like a logical fix. happy riding
Old 04-20-2010, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venice Motor Bikes View Post
You should practice using the front brake! As with all two wheeled vehicles, the front brake is responsible for 90% of the total stopping power!

Get used to it, learn it, love it... That front brake is your best friend!
I learned this on a 600cc sport bike a long time ago. I was in a jam and had to stop quickly. I was afraid of the front brake too and I locked up the rear tire. The rear tire locked up and went side to side. I almost laid it down. Luckily I stopped in time. From then on I learned to use my front brake 90% and everything is good. The only time I would worry about using too much front brake is if you are turning hard and the ground is wet.
Old 04-20-2010, 05:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taddthewadd View Post
I learned this on a 600cc sport bike a long time ago. I was in a jam and had to stop quickly. I was afraid of the front brake too and I locked up the rear tire. The rear tire locked up and went side to side. I almost laid it down. Luckily I stopped in time. From then on I learned to use my front brake 90% and everything is good. The only time I would worry about using too much front brake is if you are turning hard and the ground is wet.
If you have really good brakes on a conventional bicycle and you grab the front only and brake too hard you can do an endo and wind up with a face plant. Don't ask me how I know.
Old 04-20-2010, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmo View Post
If you have really good brakes on a conventional bicycle and you grab the front only and brake too hard you can do an endo and wind up with a face plant. Don't ask me how I know.
I can't help but believe that you did something very wrong...
I've ridden bicycles & motorcycles like a madman ever since I was a small child; & never once have I (or anyone else that I know) gone over the bars from using the front brake!
It's statements like that that keep nubees from learning the proper way to use the brakes!

Old 04-20-2010, 07:53 PM

Endo's are so 80's.

Adam
Old 04-20-2010, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venice Motor Bikes View Post
I can't help but believe that you did something very wrong...
I've ridden bicycles & motorcycles like a madman ever since I was a small child; & never once have I (or anyone else that I know) gone over the bars from using the front brake!
It's statements like that that keep nubees from learning the proper way to use the brakes!
I did not go over the bars I made a panic stop because of a dog right in front of me and locked the front wheel with the front brake and the bike rotated around the front axle resulting in a ride on the pavement. And if you will reread the post I said the front only. You must not have had very good brakes. I did not say to not use the front brakes because they are the most important part of braking just do not overdo it. I have seen crotch rockets with the rear wheel a foot off the ground because of braking.

Last edited by Elmo; 04-20-2010 at 08:15 PM.
Old 04-20-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
I did not go over the bars I made a panic stop because of a dog right in front of me and locked the front wheel with the front brake and the bike rotated around the front axle resulting in a ride on the pavement. And if you will reread the post I said the front only. You must not have had very good brakes. I did not say to not use the front brakes because they are the most important part of braking just do not overdo it. I have seen crotch rockets with the rear wheel a foot off the ground because of braking.
Who would put a rocket on their crotch?

Adam
Old 04-20-2010, 08:40 PM

Quote:
I did read what you said... that's why I said what I said.
Next... I've ridden bikes with good brakes, bad brakes, the best brakes & even no brakes; but never went over the bars because of the brakes...
& last... those crotch rockets do wheel stands because they are trying to! I know for a fact that you can lock the front wheel on them & still keep the rear grounded!

Anyways everybody... learn to use both brakes properly, they are your friends!

This is also for everyone... There is no such thing as brakes that are too good!