Board track newb.... water proof?

GoldenMotor.com

Drewbacca

Apr 6, 2010
Chicago, IL
Im new to the forum but reasonably handy ...... Im putting together a board track racer..... found a great tank and bought the cruiser with a springer fork that fits the tank perfectly..... My next part of the project is forging an offset seat mount on the old anvil in the back yard..... Not done yet but it already looks amazing.

Anyone know where to put the heat resistant silicone on the engine?

Drew

xct2

Drewbacca

Apr 6, 2010
Chicago, IL
? What is the intent of the silicone? I have not used any silicone, and very few people here have as far as I know.

I have heard of people water sealing engines so that riding in the rain is less risky.....

if you get heat resistant clear silicon and spread it around different seals on the engine it will be more protected.......... I just wanted to know which parts to seal.............. heck ill probably do the whole thing (with the exception of the filter of course).

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Naw - the engine's seals are already waterproof, if they weren't they'd not be able to keep the fire & fuel in ;) ofc - that may not be tru w/alla these kits lol, but silicone isn't the way to fix that, partic not smearin' it on the outside.

The only things that are water sensitive are the wiring & the carb's air intake/filter. The wiring is easy 'nuff, get some o'that shrink-wrap tubing for alla connections FTW and the air intake? Just make sure that it's faced so that if ya go thru a puddle it's not launching spray into it.

*shrug* that's it. You could pull the magneto & clutch covers off and put a thin layer of that goo on just the seal... but I've not bothered and my ride's been fine in all sortsa holocaust-style Maine weather :D