Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Board Trackers and Vintage Motorized Bicycles

Board Trackers and Vintage Motorized Bicycles Vintage enthusiasts share your board trackers and other vintage motorized bicycle ideas, builds and replicas here

Worksman Drop Loop Frame BTR

Vintage enthusiasts share your board trackers and other vintage motorized bicycle ideas, builds and replicas here

Old 04-23-2010, 04:20 PM
The Boy Who Never Grew Up

Default Re: Worksman Drop Loop Frame BTR

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTKirkland View Post
Fellows:

I'm new here, never built or operated a motorized bicycle but am interested in piecing together something along the lines of a Norton Model 9 (pictured). I would be interested in more information about getting in on a run of worksman frames that resemble the green (?... colorblind guy here) Excelsior-Henderson bike. I think I could outfit the frame to look like a street bike of the era (springer fork, fenders fore and aft, luggage rack, etc.). Any thoughts or incompatibilities that I might not be considering?

Anyhow, I was very pleased to find this forum and discover the board track 'sub-culture' that flourishes here.

Cheers!

Jefferson Kirkland
I like that Norton a lot. It would be a cool bike to use as the inspiration for a build. I'm curious about the little plunger deal on the gas tank and the two caps. I'm guessing one is for gas and the other oil, but what is the plunger deal? I like the small squared off tool compartment off the side of the rack and don't recall seeing anything like that before. Neat. Welcome to the forum!
SB
Old 04-23-2010, 05:34 PM
Dealer

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbear View Post
I like that Norton a lot. It would be a cool bike to use as the inspiration for a build. I'm curious about the little plunger deal on the gas tank and the two caps. I'm guessing one is for gas and the other oil, but what is the plunger deal? I like the small squared off tool compartment off the side of the rack and don't recall seeing anything like that before. Neat. Welcome to the forum!
SB

Welcome to the Forum JT,

From what I gather if you want to try a road style build you may want to consider the Worksman M2600 Industrial Cruiser as platform for the Norton Tribute Road Style Bike.

Here's a couple of photo's to ponder at The Worksman Tribute Harley Road Bike is built using the Worksman M2600 Industrial Cruiser with the drop Loop down tube modification, it comes stock with the straight down tube.

Note there may be another builder here in there near future who may offer, both the Worksman Industrial News Boy Cruiser & the Worksman M2600 Industrial Cruiser with the modified drop Loop frame with the Period Correct Look of the 1910 thru 1920's, which can then be Decal-ed by you as the end user with the Norton name!

The Worksman stock Industrial News Boy & M2600 Industrial Cruisers retail from Worksman for about $300.00.

Stock Worksman M2600 Industrial Cruiser

Modified Worksman M2600 Industrial Cruiser Tribute 1910 Harley Road Bike

Stock Worksman Industrial News Boy Cruiser

Modified Worksman Industrial News Boy Cruiser Tribute Excelsior-Henderson Bicycle Board Track Racer The color is actually light gray frame & dark gray on sides of gas tank on this build

Peace Crazy Horse.
Old 04-25-2010, 09:46 AM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

Thanks for the input gang:

SB: I'm guessing that plunger is for priming...? I dunno, would the tank be pressurized for some reason? A friend of mine does custom leather work, I bet I could commission a tool box from him.

CH: That Harley Tribute is quite a bike! Aesthetically, I like the look of the drop frame on the Henderson style bike; it seems to mimic the lines of some of the early Brit street bikes. As far and paint and decoration, I was thinking flat green or tan with flat black, maybe stencil a star on the tank for a pseudo-military look.

Best Regards,

jtk
Old 04-25-2010, 03:09 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

What if I wanted just the frame with out the paint or the wheels just the frame and the forks, how much would it be?
if with the paint and everything is 900 bucks.
Old 04-25-2010, 03:37 PM
Dealer

Farukapple, Welcome to motorbicycling.com forum.

Here's some information that might help you make a decision.

If you ordered your own stock Worksman Industrial News Boy Cruiser from Worksman Cycles in New York, New York the bicycle will cost you $339.00 plus shipping.

Then you'd have to send it off to a weld shop to modify it to a Drop Loop Frame, fabricate a Harley/Excelsior rectangular style gas tank or an Indian, or Cyclone, gas tank which is torpedo/cylindrical style, and fabricate a tool box. My guesstimate for modifications & fabrications
$500.00 to $800.00

The 2-stroke engine kit price's vary $100.00 and up.

So now you have everything fabricated you need it painted & setup properly, ready for you to ride another couple hundred dollars possibly.

The money you've invested already more or less $1000.00 +

If you have it done at a local welding / machine shop you'll have direct control over the work as you'll be able to inspect their work.

The other alternative is Rick Gilmore in Washington State ask him for a quote he is an amazing very distinguished and talented artist check out his art work at his website be the judge yourself www.vroomart.com This the Correct LINK NOW.

Good Luck with your decision, hope some of this info is helpful!

Peace Crazy Horse.

Last edited by Crazy Horse; 04-25-2010 at 04:48 PM. Reason: Edit Link it's www.vroomart.com
Old 04-25-2010, 08:45 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

thank you but thats not what i was really asking.
i'm not saying this is a bad deal if i had 900 bucks i would get it or ask them to make it how ever it works, but maybe i'm not understanding this right.
900 bucks i get the drop loop frame fork tires gas tank and paint, but what if i wanted to do the paint myself and everything the person making the $900 replicas couldnt sell be just the drop loop frame and forks
i dont know

Last edited by Farukapple; 04-25-2010 at 08:47 PM.
Old 05-13-2010, 08:47 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

If you can get them made I would buy a Cyclone style bike (no motor).
Old 05-14-2010, 06:50 AM
Dealer

Subcom,

The Original Artist who first designed the Period Correct Worksman Tribute Board Track Racer's is Rick Gilmore, he is also a forum member here his screen name is cinelliphyle!

You can reach him at his website at VROOMART.COM or Private Message him here thru the forum.

His phone is Rick...
253=826-0252
rick@vroomart.com

Subcom here is a lil more information from Rick about his Period Correct Worksman Tribute Board Track Racer's: This from Rick's May 04 2010 Post

05-04-2010, 03:33 PM
cinelliphyle aka Rick

Custom Harley Davidson Track Board Bike - Should I buy it?
Just pointing out that this bike and several others attributed to other builders were build in whole or part by me.

I had another person bend the tubes and do the welding, but the plan, layout, dimensions, modifications, many of the tanks, and the details and paint in many cases were by me.

This particular bike ( The Period Correct Worksman Tribute Harley Board Track Racer owned by SeattleRider ),has a fiberglass tank that was designed to conceal a PVC functional tank but can be made to serve as a tank itself as well.

I have had very good luck with glass tanks and have a mold for the Indian/Cyclone version.

I can and will make custom tanks for others on request. Or I can pro-vice a raw version of the mold if that is what you need. These are not expensive and can be easily modified to suit variations in frame tube arrangement and length.

I have been working with a very qualified metal worker who shares my views on proper lines and general look of these machines and is ready and willing to produce one off frames.

Although they will be second to none in quality they will not be cheap, they may at some point be less expensive than now, but not until we have worked out some production details.

Pre orders and deposits will be accepted on an individual basis after discussion of details, payment method, extent of production level, etc.

Again these frames will be of the absolute best quality.

This metal worker is the best there is and will settle for only perfect product!

I will only be involved if the bikes have the look that clearly says I know what an Original Board Track Bike looks like.

Far too many people out there putting two strokes in Schwinn and Huffy cruizers with whizzer style tanks and have the nerve to suggest that they are "BoardTrackers or Board Track Replicas" !
Rick
rick@vroomart.com

Subcom, there you go all the info you need to contact the Original designer of the Period Correct Worksman Tribute Board Track Racer's!!!!

See these related Post's below just click on these Links to see Original Post:

http://motorbicycling.com/f38/histor...ers-18232.html

http://motorbicycling.com/f38/custom...ike-11480.html

http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=9782

Peace Crazy Horse.
Old 05-14-2010, 08:22 PM
The Boy Who Never Grew Up

I hadn't realized until your last post that this is the same person whose photos appeared today on the Sidecar thread. Rick is a very talented guy, an artisan of the first order. Check out these photos of his sidecar...
SB
More photos on the sidecar thread.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenShot063.jpg
Views:	464
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	24450   Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenShot066.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	111.0 KB
ID:	24451   Click image for larger version

Name:	ScreenShot067.jpg
Views:	493
Size:	113.7 KB
ID:	24452  
Old 05-27-2010, 10:33 PM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie

What about just tanks, I have an old Worksman like yours above, but all I want is a tank that will fit between the bars like the green Harley! How much for a raw unpainted tank?