EZM "Q"-matic production started

GoldenMotor.com
Hi Everyone,

Accepted final bids on Q-Matic yesterday!

Scheduled delivery 3 weeks.

Aluminum isn't cheap in the USA!

Thousands and thousands of test miles logged by dealers nationwide.

American labor isn't cheap!

Test riders on the West coast
Test riders on the East coast
Test riders in the South [still warm in many areas]
Test riders in the North [a little colder up there]
Test riders along the Atlantic coast [was only 85 today].
The results are in!
We did it right!

Shipping isn’t cheap!

As hard as we tried, we couldn’t meet the projected MSRP, but only missed by $9.75.
The MSRP is $259.75. No matter how hard we tried to bargain, the American labor force simply wanted paid for their services and quality materials.

The Q-Matic drive was tested on a variety of 4-stroke motors from 35 CCs to 8 HP. It has been tested up hills, against the wind, and with riders from 100 pounds [thanks Ladies] to over 300 pounds. It has and is currently still being tested pulling a trailer in a hilly terrain [Thanks, Bill]. Thanks again Bill for projecting the motorbike as a family friendly form of transportation.

We listened when many requested ease of service, KISS [keep it simple stupid], quality parts, good warranty, silent operation, easily changeable drive ratios, a real working dependable “custom” American made automatic clutch, thin design, adaptability, and maintain backwards compatibility.

The entire system was designed and then machined on CNC equipment in American shops.

Because of design the majority of the power is transmitted from the motor to the rear wheel, and therefore the Q-Matic drive ratios allow better use of the power band.

The production drive ratios will allow the speed of 30 MPH at 6200 RPMs on a 26” bicycle with an average weight rider on a level surface. Considering the ability of the HS or Honda 49 CC 4-strokes to achieve RPMs well above 7500 RPMs, 6200 RPMs is just right for a smooth ride.

Ratios can easily be changed for heavier riders or to compensate for hills.

The Q-Matic and the future Silent Drive II can be attached to most motors with the output to the rear [for frame mount], and 90 degrees downward for rack mount applications [We don’t supply rack mounting systems].

Did I mention the Aluminum? Lots & lots of Aluminum in the Q-Matic drive by EZM.

$259.75 MSRP
EZM dealers can answer your questions, call them!

All orders prior to Dec 15th $249.75

Best order quickly because demand should outpace production for a while.

Have fun,

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
excellent news Quenton ! (^)
I am working mine hard and am getting used to an auto clutch :)
(it is a big difference after 3+ yrs of using a manual)
my daughter is almost ready to ride mine pulling the trailer !!!
(she has refused to even sit on my bike prior to the auto !!!)
I think the ease of use and very low maintenance will make this a huge winner (^)

MaxPower

Jul 1, 2009
Sierra Vista AZ
Max, were you at the race in april ?...
I was there with my EZM. ( just watching :))
I was there but I got there really late. Also, I had just bought my motor and knew nothing of the hobby. Even if i saw it at the death race I wouldn't have know what it was. I've learned a lot since then. I was at the halloween race and saw Roland with the latest Skyhawk 4 stroke. I really what a 4 stroke but am unsure if I should buy his kit (because I'm 30min from his shop), spend the cash for EZM, or wait for Sick bike parts 4 stroke shifter and spend even more. O the choices.....

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
the choice is clear LOL
go with american designed/made and keep more of the $$$'s stateside :)
I am now almost 2900 miles on my EZM...
almost 300 with the new Q-Matic trans I upgraded to ;) (2600m at trans swap)
pulls like a champ and is excellent on gas (175-200mpg)

PS... I would like to make an open invitation to anyone here that can make it to Fountain Hills
contact me and come take a test ride !!!
then, you can judge for yourself :):):)

Last edited:

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
OK Im a newb when it comes to these gear boxes. Whats the advantage with this gear box? Is the clutch the 78 mm centrifugal, a 2 shoe or 3? or is it a different kind of clutch? Whats the warranty period? Can this gear box be mounted in different positions for a rack mount? Say 90 deg downward from the 90 deg angle its positioned in an inframe setup? I looked at the EZM site but saw no specs. With a Honda/titan/hs motor this will be a sweet ride.

azbill

May 18, 2008
Fountain Hills, Arizona
Quenton or Mike can give more detail than I can
it is a 6 shoe clutch made for EZM by Max-Torque (a well known/respected American company)
I am not sure of it's size, but it is much bigger than the clutch on a livefast rack-mount kit
yes, it can be rack-mounted - installed vertically (you would have to build your own rack for it)
I hope my little bit of info helps :)

Hi Bandito,

The EZM Q-Matic is completely different from all other drive systems. First it is American made; secondly the heart of the system is based around the world's best clutch.

We researched the majority of the current drive systems and found them based on poor engineering and poor quality control. Many are based around clutches designed for other uses such as roto tillers, edgers, weed eaters, etc. Sadly the clutch needed for a motorbike has different requirements. The clutch must engage smoothly, engage completely, and have the correct stall speed. Further research lead us to find a clutch actually designed to move a motor vehicle and be of such quality to be durable. It seems most companies don't have a clue of the demands of a motorbike clutch. This research lead us straight to MaxTorque an American company that designed the centrifugal clutch used on commercial go cart tracks. If their clutch could hold up under the severe conditions of go-cart rental, it surely could work on a motorbike.

While it is true the clutch is costly, using specially designed parts, it is also "bullet Proof" and won't strand anyone with broken clutch housings, loose shoes, excessive wear, and more importantly it won't damage the crankshaft of the motor [because it isn't installed on the motor]. We worked closely with MaxTorque to modify and make a "special" clutch for our system and still use the basic proven design. The MaxTorque clutch designed for the Q-Matic isn't a standard production unit, but they quickly helped us with special custom parts for our system to make it work 100% correct.

The clutch is approx 4" across and uses 6 shoes [not 2 or 3], the replacement parts [if ever needed] would be easy to install and are reasonably priced. We even designed the Q-Matic to accept special "Racing" clutches from MaxTorque if one wanted to move in that direction.

The Warranty is one year on the clutch and the drive can be rotated to use as a rack mount if desired.

Because of the design of many motors used as motorbike power plants, attaching a clutch directly to the crankshaft can lead to serious problems. Adding the weight and stress of a clutch can damage the crankcase, crankshaft, crankshaft bearing [some motors don't even use bearings on the output side of the crankshaft] and worst of all the width of the motor ends up so wide it causes many other issues.

Another major advantage to the Q-Matic is the high "pass thru rate". Many current drive systems consume a large amount of power, and when starting with 2 HP you can't afford to give up much. As an example think about turning gears in heavy grease [to quite down the excessive noise], it is similar to rowing a boat in the mud. Also consider the large amount of power needed to run a CVT drive [up to 30% loss]. How about running a clutch in grease or oil with 2 or 3 pivot shoes and expect it to completely lock.

The Q-Matic is slim, durable, silent, American made, and transfers almost all the power to the wheel. The Q-Matic can use completely different drive ratios to increase gas mileage, run the motor at a lower RPM to increase the motor life as compared to other companies. The Q-Matic drive is designed to use the peak torque of the motor, not WOT all the time like many current offerings. The Q-Matic is tuned to take advantage of torque, and can easily be altered to provide different ratios for hills & heavier riders often for less than $15.00.

Hope this answers your questions.

Have fun,

Last edited:

jbcruisin

Oct 10, 2008
Lebanon, Pa.
Wow Quenton, that's one of the longest posts I've ever seen. Lots of good info there. Can't say enough about the EZ's. Love mine. I ride it much more than my hopped up Whizzer. I should add that like AZbill said in his post, if anyone wants to come to central Pa. to ride my EZ, come on over. I'm laid off, home all the time.
Jay

Last edited:
Hi MaxPower,

Guess what?

For the last year we have been researching such a venture. We already selected the exact frame we want to produce and it is in fact the "vintage cruiser" style.

The odds of an American made 49 CC 4 stroke motor at a reasonable price is most likely just a dream. We sure would like to explore the possibility and maybe B & S could make such a motor.

One of our Authorized dealers in AZ [Helmutt] produces an American made motorbike using the EZM kit & drive system, and you can locate his company on our website for more information.

Have fun,

KilroyCD

Jul 22, 2008
Lancaster County, PA
Now if you can just find a motor and bike made in America :) Has anyone built an American cruiser?usflg
Hi MaxPower,
There are a lot of good American made choices for the bicycle, as long as you don't mind most of them being vintage. A lot of Schwinn, Columbia, Roadmaster, Huffman/Huffy, Murray and many others were made here in the good ol' US of A until the late 1970s or even early 1980s. However, Worksman continues to make their bikes here in the US, and they have good, heavy frames and also heavy duty wheels that are ideally suited to the extra stress imposed by motorizing a bike. The Worksman Cycles Factory Direct Store, America's Oldest Cycle Manufacturer, Industrial Bicycles and Tricycles, since 1898

Last edited:

bandito

May 22, 2009
colorado
OK this is definately on my radar and thanks for the info. One more question is how are the gears lubricated and if its installed vertically is there an issue there? Also do you sell a 26in wheel thats spoked with a sprocket installed on the drive side? It seems for me this gear box with the honda/titan motor on a rack mount is my ideal MAB that im searching for. Is EZM just a wholesaler to dealers? If so Ill quit asking if you sell certain stuff.

KilroyCD

Jul 22, 2008
Lancaster County, PA
OK this is definately on my radar and thanks for the info. One more question is how are the gears lubricated and if its installed vertically is there an issue there? Also do you sell a 26in wheel thats spoked with a sprocket installed on the drive side? It seems for me this gear box with the honda/titan motor on a rack mount is my ideal MAB that im searching for. Is EZM just a wholesaler to dealers? If so Ill quit asking if you sell certain stuff.
Bandito, the EZM Q-Matic has no gears to lubricate. The primary drive to the auto-clutch is belt drive. The secondary drive (from the clutch to the rear wheel) is chain drive, so there are no gears to lube. The Max-Torque clutch may need periodic lubrication, and I'll have to check with Quenton about the frequency of that. The whole shebang rides on sealed bearings, so there is no issue with the orientation of the drive unit affecting lubrication. EZM doesn't sell wheels as yet, but that is something that is on the company's radar. Though I haven't seen it done yet, I think the Q-Matic drive with a rack mounted engine such as the Honda, Titan or Hua Sheng would be nice, tidy set-up.
EZM is not a wholesaler, but a manufacturer selling through its dealer network. If you have more questions, just fire away. The only dumb question is the one not asked!