Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 12-23-2014, 05:14 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Default Re: Motorized Bicycle Take a Tip...Leave a Tip

Hey guys and gals got the beach cruiser running the other day. I would not start for the life of me. I tried and tried and finally found out the clutch was just enough off to not draw in fuel. So get her running and let me say. WHAT A BLAST LOVE IT GOES JUST FAST ENOUGH FOR THIS OLD MAN NOW!!! It had been 15 years since I rode a bike smile ear to ear love it. putting the chain thing on that goes under the case so it won't bind. and a spring loaded tensioner too. Can you tell me how do you keep the tank in one place? I don't want to crank down on the bolts I think they will rip right out of the tank. So please if any other ways of mounting it would be very help full. And is there any people that ride together in southern California? I am in Riverside would like to ride with some other people. Thanks and one word WOW
Old 12-23-2014, 05:34 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

I probably don't need to say anything. This photo tells it's own story.
cropped axle adjuster.jpg
Old 12-23-2014, 07:30 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Yea you might I don't understand what that is? I am new to this so please do tell.
Old 12-23-2014, 07:45 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Oh! Okay.

Maybe I'm forgetting that some of this stuff is not all that obvious to folks who are unfamiliar.

That little bracket I made and mounted is an axle/chain adjuster and tensioner. It helps to keep that axle exactly where you want it in those dropouts.

One of the classic headaches with these bikes is the axles slipping a bit forward in the dropouts. And it can be a real pain. Your chain will pop off. Repeatedly, often enough. (My blood boils just thinking about it)

This axle movement often happens even when you're merely tightening it down. You've got your arm wrapped around the back end. You're holding the wheel exactly where you want it. You tighten the axle nut. And you feel that stupid thing move. You curse. You loosen the axle nut. And then you repeat the process. Several times over. Then there comes a time when you get that thing to stay almost where you wanted it. And you accept that, hoping it'll be good enough. And then a few days later you repeat the whole process.

With that bracket on there, you simply adjust chain tension using that 1/4 20 bolt that holds the two halves together and you tighten the axle nut. And your axle ain't goin' nowhere.
Old 12-24-2014, 10:11 AM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Okay I see now but my rear wheel just drops in the slots on the frame and that's it. I have gears on my bike maybe that why there is no adjustment? do any of you guys have trouble with the chain bind under the front drive gear under the case. I was told that is a must fix you can buy a small metal piece that goes up above the gear to keep that from happing.
Old 12-24-2014, 11:13 AM

Here a picture of my project a Nexus 3 speed with shift kit currently in a reassembly stage. This bicycle is difficult but not impossible to work with.
I'd expected to get it completed without much effort that was a wish upon a falling star and wishing them all out of the night sky upon the first wish would follow. At that the three speed I'm attempting to build must be locked out of free wheeling to make it easy to push start this bicycle system. I've yet to remove the rear wheel and disassemble the brake hub it looks as if it can be modified the lock the motion by placement of a bolt through the housing of this hub. If so this hub can be shifted up or down and locked into gear as well change gear in less than an hour. I've needs to use the method and the hub currently and hope it works as well hope the hub is strong enough to endure the torque of the 66 cc. The weak link is likely the link I will attempt to lock out with a bolt installed in the correct location. If this the speed is likely to fail I think this is the first place with a setup like the one I've got. The engine/ shift kit mounting bracket must be altered to fit I will employ threaded stock
5''-6'' long to adjust the tension on the output side or left side facing front seated on the bike. The tension on the right will be adjusted by the threaded rod if there is space to install it. If not I'll likely have to cut a steel brace in place. I'm disappointed with the idea the conversion kit securing the bottom bracket is sliding although well fastened. This attempt is to make the system work without question and prove it's the better of all options. I might be one of the best but I've a lot of work to do. If anyone has attempted this type of system any advice I'd appreciate it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ASUS - WIN_20141218_133236.JPG (131.1 KB, 39 views)
Old 12-24-2014, 11:37 AM

Well along the long winded story way to asking advice on a Nexus 3 speed project is this. I've secluded the bearing to prompt it to oil or grease to this point these bearing are sealed but the bearing can be accessed by tapping a hole into the bottom bracket for oil or continue with a grease fitting on the crank arm for some entertainment.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ASUS - WIN_20141224_122429.JPG (99.8 KB, 31 views)
Old 12-24-2014, 12:27 PM

Was an example, I'd continue you have little else to do with the time passing you'll have a crank peddle arm in a vise with a oil or grease access to the bearing in the shift kit which is likely the 1st correct step out of the box before the next on a long list from Sick Bike Parts now for all whom have not followed the first step all the so called professionals can explain why they skipped this and went on.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ASUS - WIN_20141224_130824.JPG (97.3 KB, 29 views)
Old 12-24-2014, 02:28 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Mine is the old stand by 5 speed with the shifting rail thing. So I wish you the best and that is why I said my rear wheel just drops in the cut out in the frame no adjustment. So the spring loaded chain thing for the motor is a must for me. Thanks for you time
Old 12-26-2014, 07:33 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Hello I hope every one got what they wanted and they had a nice x-mas? If you are married and or single and have older kids forget it. Its a wallet and socks and maybe a treat from you girlfriend or wife??? Any way jump on the bike to take a spin and the chain kept popping off well look at the rag joint thing and it is wobbling. So I check it and some of the bolts were loose so I saw a bike with one of these and the guy said put it on and not one problem after that. What do you guys think of this set up and it will fit my hub.? Thanks http://www.bikeberry.com/engine-kit-...-assembly.html

Tags
advice, bicycle, motorized, repair