Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum  

Sponsors

Go Back   Motorized Bicycle Engine Kit Forum > Motorized Bicycle > Motorized Bicycle General Discussion

Motorized Bicycle General Discussion All topics regarding bicycles with engines.

Old 04-26-2013, 08:34 AM
Gutter Rider

Default Re: Motorized Bicycle Take a Tip...Leave a Tip

Absolutely!

Lord Vader is the byest! :-)

http://motorbicycling.com/forumdisplay.php?f=39

Folks here at MBforum are Not real stuffy or anything, we'd all like you to get the best exposure so you can get best results, quickly.

It would be to your benefit to describe in best possible detail which motor you are using!!! and which carb... all the information you can provide for our top notch guys to consider.

The manifold to cylinder gasket is generally marginal, and usually mis-aligned and should always be inspected on a new motor. I think a gasket sealer product should be applied to it and the port should be inspected for garbage left from the manufacturing process before re-assembly. (there is usually some sort of discrepancy)

The carb mounting to the intake spigot is usually where the problem lies.
...a couple different styles of O ring are used, and it is easy to get them installed poorly.
The carb Must be tight up against them!
I also advise some sort of goop on this connection.
Do Not overtighten the carb or it may break!
....intake manifold bolts are usually too close to the tube/runner tract, andsmall, or modified washers must be stackedon the stud so a nut can be put on them well.
Throw away any acorn nuts that come on your motor! :-)

Yes, SuperDave is right... rain probably won't cause too much of a problem, even though it would not be advised. :-)

And all this is IF you do have a chinagirl !!!

Best
rc
Old 04-26-2013, 11:13 AM
Motorized Bicycle Member

uhm k it is a Skyhawk 66cc but ill double check and it has the cns carb. i think it may be my spark plug so im going to get a new one and a new cap
Old 04-26-2013, 04:31 PM
Gutter Rider

The B6ES NGK is what many of us run by choice.
I would advise that plug unless you have a strong reason for running something else.

The sparkplug High tension cable is suspect, from the factory, yet my plug boot seems fine.

Biggest complaint with the ignition is generally the kill switch, itself.
It should be disconected until all other systems on the bike are functioning well.
EZ enough to kill a chinagirl, anyway...

The CNS carb is notable as the carburetor everyone loves to hate.
An NT carb is far simpler, and quite reliable, yet IMO there might just be a little bit more power from the CNS.
Both employ a clamp mounting method which must hold the carb up against a rubber seal that is critical to operation. The carb can slip, compromise the seal, and cause the motor to run lean, bringing most the symptoms you are presently noticing.

Pls keep in mind, the chinagirl is a cheap date!
Small, easy, and inexpensive to work on.
Really fun results!

:-)
rc
Old 04-26-2013, 08:46 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

http://www.sparkplugs.com/Data/uploa...ug%20chart.jpg

Depends whether one has the slant head or straight. I have both and the straight does not have the protruding plug It does have the B6HS. The slanting one has the BP6HS
Interesting, you suggest a longer reach........ Mine doesn't have the longer reach.
Old 04-26-2013, 09:14 PM
Gutter Rider

My apologies, Wally... If I wasn't vague enough... I meant to throw that name and heat spec out into the open as a good place to start looking when getting rid of that stock plug.

As always, with a two stroke, conditions, and riding style, experimentation will probably be beneficial.

rc
Old 04-27-2013, 04:42 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

:-) What I forgot to mention was that there might not be enough clearance with your plug, between plug and and piston.
Old 04-27-2013, 05:24 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member

Got it started and running but it won't go past 15 mph and bogs down after running for a few minutes. I found a hole in the o ring where the carb connects to the intake manifold I guess I'll fix that and see what happens
Old 04-27-2013, 07:17 PM
Gutter Rider

Yes, Wally.. it is an error on my part.
I have not yet dealt with that circumstance.

Best that someone take their old plug down to the parts house and not get one that is noticeably longer !!!

Traw.... sounds like you are getting somewhere!

Pls explain for us what you mean by 'bog' when you get past 15mph.
it could be jetting, it could be a totally plugged exhaust pipe/muffler....
What does your plug look like after that bog run?

Are you running a fuel filter?

is your oil mix now at 30 or 40 to 1 ?

My 48 chinagirl runs flat out at 24 with my carcass aboard. I cruise at 17-19mph on main street.
With my Far lighter son aboard, it will bump up against 29mph, BTTW, flat out.

We need the plug info!
rc
Old 04-28-2013, 02:29 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Here's a tip.If you have a spare 15-pound motorcycle chain and lock, secure it @ your workplace's bike rack and leave it there. That way, you have excellent protection @ work, and ya don't have to lug it around. just keep a bike cable on your bike for minimum security, in case you need to stop for a second @ 7-11.
Old 04-28-2013, 09:53 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member

Hey, here's a tip I 'discovered' when trying to track down & fix an air leak; I wanted to replace my O-ring in the carb that fits between the carb & intake, but at the time, my wife had the car & I was stranded. So I took a 1/2" length of 5/8's inch diameter automotive heater hose, and used that in place of the plastic (grommet? spacer? whatever you call it) and made sure the leading edge was flat where it seats into the carb. It fits real snug and seemed to seal it up nicely. The carb is also tight on the manifold, even when the lock down screw is loose.

Tags
advice, bicycle, motorized, repair