Thread for alternative engines

GoldenMotor.com

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I most certainly was, Citi. Thanks! (^)

Think both could work and am liking the radial even more. But again, not $3K worth....

That bike is cool! I have a buddy who is into RC aircraft and hangs out with a local guy who makes engines for him. Might have to ask for an introduction. An ICE drive wheel would be purty awesome. Or an inframe as I had imagined.

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
There's a thought. Feed a 2 stroke through the crankshaft and you could have a cheap rotary. I'm not sure about the kill switch, perhaps radio controlled?

Citi-sporter

Jun 16, 2014
North Bend, Or,
Monosoupapes to you!
That depends on whether it's an early version Gnome or Gnome clone like the Oberusal. Early Gnomes had their intake valves built into the head of the piston, with complex balancing to compensate for the reciprocating motion, they were purely atmospheric pressure operated and suffered from power loss with relatively small increases in altitude.

But they worked well enough and set standards for power to weight and smoothness no other engine of their time could match.

The Monosoupapes were entirely reworked Gnomes with two stroke like transfer ports (flutes IIRC..) in the lower cylinder walls. They ran like a stratified charge engine the extra rich gas-castor oil and air from the crankcase mixed with the extra air introduced by the overly long exhaust valve open timing. Exhaust valves in Gnomes were enormous things BTW, nearly the entire head was opened the 'valve was really just a valve shaped plug.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Very cool! I had an antique car reference book that had a rear engine car built in the Midwest around the turn of the 19th century. It had a 5cyl rotary that as I remember turned a large disc that drove an opposing disc via friction similar to the old Snapper lawn mower. It had basically infinite speeds plus reverse. It was started by spinning the cylinders. A asbestos glove was used for hot starts. Heaven help you if the motor mount broke!
I keep thinking of a rotating Maytag. The crank is already drilled for fuel delivery, the ignition would work as is as the flywheel will act as a stator. The crank is pretty beefy being 7/8" so I don't think drilling the rest of the way through for the carb passage would harm it. Don't know about balance. Seems too simple have to be missing something.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
2cool!

" Despite its size, the X Mini puts out 3.5 bhp and when fully developed could punch 5 bhp with a weight of only 3 lb (1.3 kg).

Shkolnik says that despite its size, the X Mini has improved noise, vibration and harshness (NVH) properties. It's extremely quiet due to its lack of poppet valves and its use of three chambers versus cylinders which means that vibrations cancel one another out, and the overexpansion cycle of the combination Otto, Diesel, Rankine, and Atkinson principles contribute to the lack of noise."

If any of that is even half true, and no reason to doubt, purty awesome!

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Some of you will know about the Wall Auto wheel, and it's American child, the Smith.

I'm just thinking, you know.......

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Isn't this nice? A Kawasaki KF 34 sidevalve, found on Smokstak

Minibike with Kawasaki HS50

Last edited:

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
It is so cool of ya Lud, finding & posting all of the unique engines and bikes. Just cool to see all and stuff ya normally don't see with our thing. I think as a group we sometimes get bogged down in convention and alternatives really add to the "interesting" and possibilities.

Just thanks

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
Try this for an idea. A 2 stroke lightweight tiller, the Mantis has a short drive shaft and case, at the end of which is from memory, a 42:1 final drive reduction to the drive shafts. Which can feed either side of a wheel, or both on a trike, and only need equal or near equal size driving and driven final drive sprockets.

OK, it's not necessarily pretty, but it can move the engine away from pedals and feet, and offer wide engine choices.

http://mantis.com/choose-a-mantis-tiller.asp