non responsive throttle

GoldenMotor.com

hazzardous1

Mar 16, 2016
illinois
so after a couple of hours worth of reading i havent come across a throttle that is non responsive dont know if im looking in the right place or not.
so any way here goes my throttle handle is non responsive to turning i think its the spring being smashed down inside the carb as far as itll go any ideas suggestions would be great also how does everyone feel about using the cheap synth oil from like dollar general?

Chaz

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver, British Columbia
Check to see that you have the slide in the right way. Did the carb cap take a lot of effort to compress the slide spring? Can you take the air filter off and see that the slide is moving up and down like it should? Re-check all your carb cable adjustments. Lastly, check the throttle twist grip cable housing to see if the cable end "knob" is properly seated.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I can't add anything to Chaz's suggestions about your throttle but as far as oil, that subject has been hashed to death here. Try using our 'Search', type in '2 stroke oil', and you'll have lots to read on that subject. Everyone will have an opinion. You'll need to experiment and see what works best FOR YOU.

Tom

steampunk

Mar 10, 2011
lakewood co
we all have our preferences....2door is right...its what works the best for you...experimentation is key...just stay within realistic ideas when thinking of your mix ratios..have fun,,,happy hunting (the most common i see is lucas semi syn,optima and reg walmart oils)...just find something that works,available for you easily ans within your budget....biggest tip i could give you is start with mineral oils and move to synthetics afterwards or go with synthetics...(tons of cases that things went bad quickly after going from syn to mineral oil ...a few that didnt)they both wear differently and some do different things to metals...use the search bar...its worth its weight in gold...and then some

throttle issues could be your slide is 180 degrees out...2 grooves in the slide...one short..one long...probably have the guide pin in the short one (pin is in the wall of the carb)

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
And....disregard the kit instructions that say to mix @16:1. That's too much oil and has been discussed here a lot as well as what oil is best. Don't go over 24:1 with your oil and 32:1 will be perfect during and after break-in.

Tom

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
If you are on a budget you can buy the Lucas semisynthetic smokeless oil for about $8 for a 32 oz bottle at oriellys auto parts, that's $1 a gallon for a 32/1 mix. I've been running five years on it.

hazzardous1

Mar 16, 2016
illinois
ok guys thank you so much for the advice on the oils and the throttle the slide does move but not like it should so im going to try the other side got the bike running again after the factory chain broke; but still having the issue of the throttle being unresponsive and im not real keen on idleing around town so again thank you so verry much for the advice.

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
If the slide is going down low enough for the engine to idle it is in correct. If it were °180 out the engine would run close to 3/4 throttle because the slide would only close partially.

hazzardous1

Mar 16, 2016
illinois
thank you guys once again it turns out that the throttle screw was in the way of the slide falling to the bottom of the carb. lol im sure their will be more questions in about a week or so depending on what else the kit motor throws my way. the help in getting this runnng is greatly appreciated!!!!!!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Glad you found the problem. That's why we're here. Feel free to ask for help. We're pleased when a new builder can benefit from the advice offered here.

Keep us informed with your new bike. Good luck.

Tom