Almost there....need a lil more advice

GoldenMotor.com

Ballin on a Budget

May 26, 2011
Vernon, British Columbia
Since everyone was so helpful last time I needed advice......

The build is going great, and im getting to the point where im just ironing out the last few details before i nervously fire her up.

First I am changing my exhaust routing as the stock "shorty" pipe doesnt quite do it for me looks wise. In the first pic you can see how the exhaust sits now, and in the second It is mocked up where I will be putting it. My question is - I know how much exhaust length, shape, and design can affect a 2-strokes performance, so by adding the extra (5") length on the header pipe do you think this small change will make any noticable gain/loss? I really doubt it will but i figured id ask ppl who have done this before.

Next, my tensioner does not sit at the same angle as the chain does.....I figure I can simply bend the bracket a few degrees to line it up, but has anyone had/overcome this problem before?
Thank you guys in advance for the help! I am stoked to be a part of the forum!!
-Dan

(Sorry about posting 2 questions in the same post)

Attachments

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
tensioner problem is common. just twist it so it runs inline.

adding a few inches to your pipe will probably have no affect at all. unless you were trying to squeeze out every last MPH, you probably won't notice any rideable difference.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Agreed. Twisting the tensioner bracket is necessary on almost every bike due to the angle of the chain stay verses the chain path.

Your exhaust will work just fine. Even extending the pipe so the muffler is behind you will not noticable effect your performance.
By the way, I'll say again that you have a nice looking bike. Please keep us informed on how it runs for you.
Tom

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Yeah, the pipe looks good in #2.

Be sure to put some serious locktite on the muffler cap screw or it will be on the road like mine was.

Ballin on a Budget

May 26, 2011
Vernon, British Columbia
Hey thanks so much for the positive feedback guys! And Im glad you like how its coming together Tom....Nice to hear good feedback from people who are much more experianced than I!

Actually im glad you mentioned that it wont be an issue moving the exhaust as I was playing with ideas and I really like how it looked with the muffler directly below the crank (pic 2) so untill I round up the funds to upgrade to a better expansion chambered setup, I think Im set on bolting up tonight whre it is!

Oh and thank you Mike as well for the tip. Ive heard some horror stories of muffler carnage from not securing that bolt proporly so I will amke sure to do that. Ill keep you updated as I plan to fire it up on my day off on Tues if all goes to plan......hope I didnt just jinx myself.....
-Dan

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Some have run the pipe clear to the back. I dont think it much matters when you run anything except a expansion chamber. The distances are critical with them. With the straight pipe and can it's like a car's stock exhaust, lenghtening or shortening it has little effect. It's when you add a header things waken up ;)

Ballin on a Budget

May 26, 2011
Vernon, British Columbia
Thanks for the advice! Well today's the big day and although im sure ive done everything, and gone over everything, I still have the first fire jitters. Any tips on final things to go over before I take it out for her maiden voyage and smash a bottle 'o bubbly across her bow? Im gonna do a final once over and tight up all bolts and make sure its all aligned and stuff but other than that anything I should specifically watch for?
-Dan

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Dan,
Just make sure that tensioner bracket does not loosen and crash your rear wheel/spokes.
Everything else is a cake walk but that tensioner can cause you grief if it moves inward.
Good luck. Let us know how it goes.
Tom

Ballin on a Budget

May 26, 2011
Vernon, British Columbia
well after much anticipation and a few skinned knuckles and words that I didnt even know that I knew.....I wheeled her out today and she fired right up and took her for her maiden voyage....what a feeling of satsfaction! For a more detailed account, check my post in the motorized cruiser section....Thanks so much for all the help guys. Now to start modding........
-Dan