Compatability question

GoldenMotor.com

Rambler

Jul 25, 2009
U.S.A.
Will the Magneto from a skyhawk, fit on a starfire engine? Does anyone know off hand?

Also, when I try to run my bike, i will get a few put put puts, and then it dies, sometimes the put put puts seem like they are trying to continue on, but they always die within a few seconds of starting, and only happen when I am going at downhill speeds, or am pedalling like mad. If you think it might be something other than an electrical issue, please let me know.

I pulled the head off, there are no scores in the cyllinder, just carbonbuildup on and around the piston head and gasket, I cleaned them both off, and it still is doing the putt putt putt nofire. The spark plug is good. I just got a new cdi (not installed yet). The gas is flowing, the carburetor is clean and clear, the compression is as solid as ever, and all I can think of is an electrical issue. Normally I would have the bike up and running by now, but this bike really has me puzzled. scratg

I bet the problem is a stupidly simple one that I keep overlooking, though I don't know what it could be. scratg

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
The sparkplug wire is always suspect on these ht's...

And, is your kill button wire connection completely disabled?
They are always on the suspect list.

What does your plug actually look like?
Is it wet?

Best
rc

Rambler

Jul 25, 2009
U.S.A.
The plug is wet now. When I pulled off the head, I wiped off the contact.

Right before I hit 2000 miles, and the engine decided to crap out, the plug was a perfect dry toasty brown, and everything was running smoothly.

The Kill switch is connected, and I recently redid the sparkplug wire.