are these any good 49cc Chain Drive 4 Cycle OHC Rear Mount Gas Motorized Bicycle Kit

GoldenMotor.com

Olen

Jun 6, 2011
michigan
Re: are these any good 49cc Chain Drive 4 Cycle OHC Rear Mount Gas Motorized Bicycle

I hope so I just ordered one.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.
Re: are these any good 49cc Chain Drive 4 Cycle OHC Rear Mount Gas Motorized Bicycle

I have the 4stroke friction drive from Livefast, and the quality was excellent. If the same manufactuer made these Your in business.

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana

Why are they advertised as OHC? The HS engine(honda clone) is OHV, no cam in the head like OHV.
Do they not know their product?

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.

C,V whatever it takes. I just read the instructions online(they are pretty good). I was afraid this kit was going to use one of those cheap a$$ gear boxes, but it uses a beefy looking chain reduction, maybe with the exception of the very small secondary drive sprocket. Any way not exactly a "graceful" kit, many out there arent, but ok design with the exception of the bent threaded rod stay. Id have to straighten that out(not the rod, the design), but who knows may be strong enough as is. It is of course the HS OHV engine, still a good motor. This thing should move right along, I have dead stock one of these on an inframe and it shows an honest(GPS) 35mph, wound up to do it though. I think Olen will be OK with this one. Olen I would take him up on the clamshell rear sprocket mount for 50% off with purchase, for sure, but the rag joint will work OK if you spend the time with it.

Olen

Jun 6, 2011
michigan

The responses have been greatly appreciated, and very helpful. I mounted this kit on the front of a rear steering delta trike. I am pleased thus far. I will be picking up some steel bar or angle iron to fabricate a different brace/rod stay. Because it is a rear mount kit I had to be a bit creative but I am positive the touch of extra metal will be all I need to do further. The clam shell adapter did not fit... the stock sprocket worked so I used the machine bolts from the clam shell (the trike has a very large hub). It is a bit squirrely to steer at first, but I made a few alterations (lowered the mount drastically shortened the chain, etc) and drove about 10-12 miles down gravel roads with steep hills and about 4 miles on black top.

Quite pleased thus far (other than the bent rod stay. I am making a "Y" shaped steel version that will bolt to the rack mount itself and then directly to the Trike frame thus stabilizing the mount from its tendency to torque sideways if only one side is braced). I plan to build a front and back fairing as well. Sorry no pics for now (camera is broken and I need steel and bolts more than a camera right now).

Very fun, but requires some practice, and keeping both hands on the steering at all times.

Olen

Jun 6, 2011
michigan

I have driven about 70 miles thus far, mostly on gravel roads. I believe a 56 tooth sprocket would fit my terrain better. It has a 48 tooth sprocket which is a bit fast for this trike and there are some pretty big hills around here.

It is relatively quiet and I have fabricated two steel bars to brace the motor as opposed to the bent rod stay, but still have to drill some holes in them and mount them. The master link on the chain broke, but they are sending a replacement.

The company is honest and seem to be quite helpful. Because my project is a non-standard bike I have asked a few questions they were unable to answer.

So, if anyone knows the answer to the following question it would be greatly appreciated:

This is a 4 stroke HS engine kit, but the motor has a top mounted gas tank. Can I move the gas tank or does it have to sit atop the engine for gravity feed only?

Because I mounted a rear mount kit on the front of a delta recumbent trike; I could lower the height a few inches by moving the gas tank. But this would only work if it can pull the gas from below and at some distance from the engine.

Any help would be appreciated.

Warm Regards,
Olen

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.

Nah, its gravity feed. Tank has to be higher than the carb. If you tap a pulse source like the breather cover, or the valve cover then you can run a pulse pump. The tank can then be lower( up to 18" maybe as I remember) but not too distant. But hey with it out in front you can keep an eye on the fuel level. Arent all trikes deltas?

Olen

Jun 6, 2011
michigan

Thank you! This was very helpful!

Regarding the Trike, I was under the impression that two wheels in front is a tadpole, and two wheels behind is Delta. But I am no expert on the terminology by any means.

cannonball2

Oct 28, 2010
Colonial Coast USA.

I was actually referring to the shape, they make a delta, no matter where the wheels are. That being said I know zero about trikes except this one which I have ownwd for 20+ years. Its name is Delta. As to your fuel pump, I have installed many on engines not specified for them. Sometimes you can actually get enough pulse by teeing into the breather hose going to the air filter. The valve cover is the best source. You just have to be carefull to avoid the valve train. Easiest way is to drill a hole slightly smaller than the pulse hose, cut the end at a sharp angle, put a little lube on it and work it in. The tube will form the seal. Walbro, Briggs&Stratton, and Mikuni are the most common. I am sure there are many more. The Briggs is the cheapest of the three.

Attachments

strotter

Aug 7, 2008

Over all, are you happy with the chain drive system?? Would you recomend it?

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

..and please post pics. sounds like a great build.

Olen

Jun 6, 2011
michigan

I really like mine thus far. Live Fast Motors is very quick to respond and replaces parts within warranty without issue. Overall I am pleased with the product and the company.