Push button to start motor. How can it be done?

GoldenMotor.com

The Motor

Feb 3, 2013
Austin, TX
Hey Guys

I want to modify my motorized bike to have a push button to start instead of pedaling. What is the best way to modify the stock ignition system to make this possible?

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
You didn't tell us what engine you have but if it is a Chinese 2 stroke, in-frame engine there really is no easy way to add an electric starter to it. It could probably be done but it would take some serious and expensive machine work and a starer motor that could be adapted to the engine.

You might want to explore a pull start (recoil) type which some members have and like.
What do you have against pedal starting your engine?

Tom

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Josh Moon did a engine mounted generator tucked up under the case driven off the clutch gear. You could do this with a motor if you can find one small enough with a bendix to disengage the gear when it starts.
Do a search for his posts in the facebook group Chinagirl lovers club or possibly motorbicycling's facebook group. It's been a while and I don't remember which it was on.He's the same guy doing the water cooled HT build. He's a madman.

Last edited:

FFV8

Oct 29, 2013
Spring Valley NV
BarelyAwake

Mostly just reserve power for now. I really use less than 70 watts most of the time.

The headlight is most of that. It is a 55w H4 bulb, and it is on anytime the engine is running. A 12w tail lamp is also always lit.

The 7ah battery, regulator & solenoid are all stashed in that cast aluminum box the key is hanging out of.

robert0508

Apr 28, 2009
kerrville
you could find an old lawnmower starter motor (80s-90s i think) and mount it in a way to start the engine. but like others have said may not be easy with a regular setup unless you do some machining

mew905

Sep 24, 2012
Moose Jaw
Hey Guys

I want to modify my motorized bike to have a push button to start instead of pedaling. What is the best way to modify the stock ignition system to make this possible?
A 12v DeWalt drill will turn it, set on forward (screw-in) it turns the motor the correct direction (and tightens the magneto bolt; +1 to reliability!) A 12v minigen will charge the battery for the drill motor while the engine runs. It'll be a very slow charge, but it should be enough. A pull start could be adapted to encase the drill motor, and then the engine will release the drill motor when it starts. my roommate and I have been planning this for some time but havent had the money to attempt it yet.

I used to use an 18V B&D drill from walmart to start my engines for testing before they went on bikes, it takes a long time because the B&D Drill is slow, DeWalt are MUCH more expensive, higher torque and higher speed, (my friends dad used them to turn over dirtbike engines), and will get the job done.

TakeiT

Apr 17, 2014
Oshawa, Ontario
Maybe if you machine out a notch in the side of your clutch cover, then mounted a motor there and used the drive gear like the starter on a car? You can get pocketbike starters, I might try it in the future