4 stroke huasheng, new drive attempt??

GoldenMotor.com

badcycles

Apr 14, 2011
australia
well anothe way around it depending on your frame and motor location as it is hard to sumerise with out a pic of your intensions or limitaions regarding the bike frame motor location is this.. weld in a botom bracket 3 peace set the bolts on crank arms that way you can bolt on a crank arms that will take a sprocket on both sides this way you can run a left side chain from your motor to the botom bracket you have installed and then run a right side chain down to your wheel.. also you could run your pedal chain to this right side as wel or spin your pedal cranks around to run on the left sode what ever suits .. i did this runing a south poor drive sprocket and my pedals fre wheel leaving the motor direct drive it alows me to have the pedal crank or motor runing through the gear hub so i have 8 gears for the engine or the pedals im at the moment working on a seperate gear set so i can have the engine and pedals ruining to seperate gear sets so i can be in different gears eg higher gear fro pedaling while changeing gears helping the motor all atthe same time.. your imagination is only limited buy the restraints of normalty think outside the box..lol.. all is posible

mirage

Oct 31, 2010
england
dance1hi,, bad cycles. great minds think alike. you are close to what i am doing. but i have three different ideas, on the crank and being able to pedal as well. just found a better way this morning, got see if it will work alongside what i have already come up with, as i need to source parts from several different, kit suppliers, thats dax have some good stuff, i need to work with them all.

so won,t be putting them out of business anytime soon. LOL. keep up the good work and ideas, any ideas how to get rid of the gearbox, or the need for a reduction? Just

a thought the rear mount spindle drive on the wheel, does this have a reduction box? or is it relying on the large dia.of the wheel to do the same job?? but i can,t see the drive shaft spindle going at the revs it does. without burning a hole in the tyre. so their must be some sort of reduction. I am still learning about cycles and drives, there is a lot to take in. I am an engineer, but cycles are a whole different ball game.

badcycles

Apr 14, 2011
australia
so are you using a friction drive on to the wheel its self or are you runing the engine directly to the gears on the hub?? im not a fan of friction drive at all it cuse masive drag restrictions as wel as in my opinon unsafe as in needs to be disingauged to stop. which causes massive problems under braking etc etc the list of defects to direct drive or friction drive is just preostoric and dangerouse as far as im concerned...

my idea is a dual botom bracket the pedals on the front botom bracket driving a chain to a ratchet drive on the second botom bracket (this allows the pedals not to spin when the engine is runing) where then the motor runs a chain back to the same second bottom bracket this cog is afixed (as in isnt ratched bolted solid to the bottom bracket) then out the other side the there is a third chain this runs back to the free wheeling gear set on the bike hub..

the only problem with this sytem is that when the motor is runing the pedal drive is only a one gear ratio operation as you cant pedal as fast as the engine can spin so you cant pedal assit the engine but the motor has gears pull the clutch in select higher gears and u can now pedal with gears but the engine is disingaged with the clucth in..

away around this would be to..
A ; put a gear set on the secondary botom bracket or
B; make a internal hub bottom bracket like a nexus internal geared hub spin it around the wrong way enginer pedal arms that come of the the hub itself with the chain coming of the gear going back to the secondary sprocket intern both these ideas would inefect make like a truck style dual gearbox drive.. so when then the engine is runing you can change gears with the engine final drive but laso on the pedal side of things change gears on the primary drive so you can pedal and assit the engine..

these are just 2 ides i have amongst many others that i have proven that actually work...
im sure as a engineer you should be able to work all this out.. check on my profile name look at my bike on the pictuers in my profile.. im just a back yard hack so hopefully this will inspire you to great drive ides

flex man

Feb 24, 2011
Woodland Hills Ca.
I predict lots of good things comming out in the next 6 mo. For these 4 stroke bikes...........I will leave it at that........You'll SEE..............
Flex Man............

mirage

Oct 31, 2010
england
hi, no bad cycles not rear drive,i just through that in. as i was wondering why the don,t use a reduction box. i think it,s because of the size of the rear wheel, i assume if we could fit a 26inch cog to the left side crank. we would no need a gearbox.LOL. however. my engine is in the frame, low down. getting the drive from the left is easy. getting all three options, peddle. engine, and gears is difficult as you have found out.

looks complicated what you have done. but yes i was toying with the idea of just one gear for the pedal side, as you have found out, most of the gears are redundant, once the engine starts to drive, i have a 21 gear mountain bike. and only the gear next to top was any help to the engine if peddaling at the same time, but would go up a very steep hill in bottom gear under engine alone.

so where does that take us?? the simplest way as i have said elswhere, is to just fit a crank mounted electric motor, this gives all bike gears, huge torque. you keep all your bikes gears for pedaling. fit the large drive sprocket to the left crank, with a south paw sprocket. a couple of gears inside this. and one south paw sprocket on the rear wheel.

i am working on a special rear hub, to have made up after easter. at the moment the pedals don,t turn with the engine with the sprocket rag joint on the rear do they, as there is a free wheel on the engine drive, and another one on the crank, although it does not strictly need it.

Or you could use a flip flop hub and have limited gears, or you could keep the the right side set up as is. all gears for peddaling, and a single gear left drive, this is tricky. or as i think you said 2 chains one for driving, and one for peddaling. my option is to throw out the rear wheel and start from scratch, from the left. now it gets simple.

trying to combine left and right systems. is what has held back the progress of motorised bycycles. i think working on them is more fun than riding them, well mine is till i get it to do what i want. all the parts are available. you don,t have to weld anything.

Last edited: