4 stroke huasheng, new drive attempt??

GoldenMotor.com

mirage

Oct 31, 2010
england
HI, everyone, i would like to drive my bike, using a sprocket off the left side crank spindle, so i can use all my bikes gears, well most of them, and still have freewheel pedals. the sprocket on the engine has a freewheel on it, now if this works driving the left side of rear wheel, why can,t i not go sraight down to the left side of crank with a short chain?? i know there is probably a problem with, the freewheel aspect, but won,t a southpaw sprocket work, maybe with a bit of welding, fabrication, can,t get my head round the fact that the engine sprocket drives the bike forward, yet a similar sprocket on the crank does not. i noticed that when the engine is not running, the drive sprocket works in reverse, ie freewheels clockwise ,looking at it through the frame from the right, and locks up anticlockwise, only drives forward when the centrifugal clutch kicks in. What am i missing here.

scotto-

Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Jun 3, 2010
Ridin' inSane Diego, CA.
HI, everyone, i would like to drive my bike, using a sprocket off the left side crank spindle, so i can use all my bikes gears, well most of them, and still have freewheel pedals. the sprocket on the engine has a freewheel on it, now if this works driving the left side of rear wheel, why can,t i not go sraight down to the left side of crank with a short chain?? i know there is probably a problem with, the freewheel aspect, but won,t a southpaw sprocket work, maybe with a bit of welding, fabrication, can,t get my head round the fact that the engine sprocket drives the bike forward, yet a similar sprocket on the crank does not. i noticed that when the engine is not running, the drive sprocket works in reverse, ie freewheels clockwise ,looking at it through the frame from the right, and locks up anticlockwise, only drives forward when the centrifugal clutch kicks in. What am i missing here.
The chainring on the right-hand side is fixed, it doesn't freewheel up front, but at the rear. Your drive sprocket off the engine freewheels up front, but probably not at the rear. You can go forward, not straight down to the left side crank if you get a locking freewheel adaptor with a chainring for the left side, but it won't work the gears on the right side of the drive as it will just be powering the left side at that fixed ratio. If that makes any sense?

What you need to do to have gears running off of the motor is a shift kit with a jackshaft, then you can do away with the left side chain entirely. That's the only logical suggestion that I have for you, but there are other options if you dig around a bit, like the single chain, left hand drive....not sure if you can use your gears however.....

Last edited:

camlifter

May 4, 2009
acme labs marion ohio
do you mean to use the pedal crank set as a jack shaft with like 44 tooth chain rings on both sides of the pedal crank. you'll probably have to use a sbp shifter kit. heres a pic of a set up i did using left side drive,

Last edited:

mirage

Oct 31, 2010
england
interesting camlifter, almost had it didn,t you, i don,t want to drive the left side of the rear wheel, i want a short chain down to a sprocket on the crank to drive that, on the left side, then i could use the bikes gears normally. if s b p jackshaft has a freewheel sprocket for the right side, why cant we use it on the left, with a southpaw sprocket maybe, i only want to drive the crank with the engine, and try to get a freewheel pedals as well. could try it without pedals first, to see more clearly whats going on, this is my first build, only got the engine in the bike today, i have a lot of clearance from the pedals, ie they miss the engine, but the so called wide crank spindles that came with the kit are useless, the ones on the bike are better. I am thinking of extending pedals, like wider, more room for my feet, as i only have half the pedal visable, for my feet, as the engine width stops normal pedalling. i know ther are longer bb spindles and crank pedal cranks but my idea looks smarter and neater, as i have nice cranks, and if these where made to fold as well that would be perfect.

I suppose i could weld another pedal on to the orginal ones, or half of one, to get the requiered foot area, I bet no one has tried that, they would not stick out any further than the modified cranks they send out with the kits..shft.

mirage

Oct 31, 2010
england
thanks scoto. having problems learning how to use this site. well yes i am considering a jackshaft,thought there might be a short cut. i may buy the rear hub kit from www.piratebcycles.com see the vid on youtube, much better than the rubber sandwich idea clamping the spokes. trying to avoid that at all costs. look up steve reichert motorised 4 stroke bicycles. on youtube amazing piece of engineering. pass it on for insperation. thanks again for your interest and help. wish we in the uk where as free as americans are generally. we have a police state and dictatorship on most laws on bikes ect, not allowed to have fun and a bit of freedom. so guess i will soon get stopped. but no definate laws here either, gray area, i have never seen one on the road, probably this is why. they will have to relax the rules if they want us to use electric, and small petrol engines. to reduce road congestion. you already have cheap fuel, how would you americans like to pay $10 plus a gallon like we have to?? bye

Last edited:

gcruiser

Jul 27, 2010
Truckee, CA
Get the Sick Bike Parts 4 stroke shift kit! its a night and day difference from the stock left-side sprocket setup. I first did the rag-joint sprocket setup, then to a clamshell adapter, finally got the SBP shiftkit and it rocks! I honestly can't see building another without a shift kit. It seemed like more parts to break at first, but its a really simple and well-made setup and has been so nice to be able to shift, especially on the hills.

mirage

Oct 31, 2010
england
thanks, g cruiser. i had a few e mails with s b p. about my idea and they didn,t think it was possible, and i asked about the jackshaft, and they said it was not realy suitable for a 4 stroke, and did not think it would fit or work, they must have changed their minds, or they do not like shipping to the uk.

a lot of american firms and suppliers don,t like or won,t do it. is the clam shell idea you tried, the same thing as the pirate cycles adapter?? sent them an e mail, asking if i could have one. but they don,t do international shipping. most are terrified of shipping outside of the u,s,a for some reaon.

do you know of another supplier of the pirate adapter?? or who makes it? the only other type is the kingsbicycle.com top hat system. i am mounting it on a mongoose switchback frame, 22inch top cross bar level. lot of room. but had to mount, high, but the pedals clear the engine, just a problem on width,

the cranks sent with the kit. are rubbish. bent wrong, badly made, and not wide enough, i like those crome one piece cranks. most 4 strokes seem to have. another problem is i don,t think the jackshaft system will fit behind my engine, does not look to be enough room, the engine drive sprocket, is not forward of the rear down tube, and i don,t think, the shaft of this kit will clear. can,t go any farther forward with the engine as the air filter is already nearly touching the frame. could go higher though. but would not look right.

Have a look at this on youtube, titan in frame forward mounted with shift kit, part 2 of 2 there is a part 1 also. but what i want to know what engine is it, and how they got the engine drive shaft, to come all the way across the frame to the right side and use the gears from the b.b. it is a simple system, and i wondered why they could not put this idea inside the frame,

looks as though it would reach and drive the right crank sprockets without a jackshaft. I could not figure it out. or which way round they had the engine. looks very strange. they call it a titan engine, seems to me like a huasheng with a different label on it. as i have seen other video,s with the usual red huasheng engine, with a titan sticker on it, What,s going on. sorry for the lenghthy reply..trk

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
i had a few e mails with s b p. about my idea and they didn,t think it was possible, and i asked about the jackshaft, and they said it was not realy suitable for a 4 stroke, and did not think it would fit or work, they must have changed their minds, or they do not like shipping to the uk.k
When was this? Although currently sold out, we do make a 4 stroke kit and we love shipping internationally.

I'll also ask Jim (Ghost0) to jump in and answer your specifics.

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Pablo,
I was just at the SBP site and don't see the 4 stroke shifter kit. Would it work with a Harbor Freight Greyhound engine or is that motor too wide? Has anyone done it?
SB

Ghost0

Mar 7, 2008
Bellingham, WA
As Pablo mentioned we are currently sold out but should have them back in stock Dec 1. Just to be clear our 4 stroke kit is designed to work only with the Grubee and Hoot gear boxes but recently some customers have successfully installed one of the new 4G belt drives. Just to be clear on the 4G. Only the newer, narrower one works that is made for the shaft driven Honda and Huashengs. So if memory serves, and it usually doesn't, mirage intended to use a gear box other than the three mentioned here which is too wide to work with our kit. So it has nothing to do with shipping abroad, we do it every day.

ocscully

Jan 6, 2008
Orange County, CA
what dosen't clear the 4G's. the wide crank set or is the shaft in the jack shaft to short for it.[/QUOTE

What does not clear is the overall width of the Motor and Drive. The 4G drive that fits the newer HS142CC Motor (the one that comes with the clutch mounted to a very short tapered output shaft) is a good inch or more wider that the Honda GXH50/HS142F motor and the 4G Drive unit made to fit them. The longer cartridge bottom bracket and cranks supplied with the 4-stroke shift kit will not clear the drive on the left side. There may also be an alignment problem with the output sprocket of this Wider engine/drive combo and the 17t driven sprocket on the left side of the jackshaft? I'm currently riding a bike with the Honda motor and its 4G Drive unit mounted to the SBP 4-stroke shift kit, and its a great combination. I rode the 4-stroke shift kit for 7 months with the Type III gearbox and accumulated over 6000 miles. A month ago I switched to the Honda 4G Drive unit and the difference is remarkable. The 4G unit is much quieter, and smoother. Gas mileage has gone up. The down side of the Honda 4G Drive is the bushing that supports the clutch bell. The stock bushing requires constant lubrication to keep it from dragging. When it looses its lubrication the drag/friction is enough that it will cause the motor to stall at idle or coming to a stop. There is an oilite bushing from McMaster Carr that some some members have used to replace the stock bushing and it is said to do a better job of staying lubed? I have bought several of these new bushings but as yet not installed one so I can't say from experience that they work?

ocscully

Last edited:

mirage

Oct 31, 2010
england
I have now finnished my bike. dropped the left side drive idea, had to mount the tear drop tank behind the seat, so i could move down onto the cross bar, as the frame is a bit to big for me. I used a seat down tube. and adjustable seat clamp. the one with the notches to alter the angle. usefull for getting the last drop of fuel out. stripped an old saddle. took out the flat type metal frame. made a couple of plates to mount it to the top of the frame, just under the seat. found a piece of upvc pipe used for underground electric cables. hammered this onto the down tube seat pipe. and it fiited perfectly to the shape of the undersde of the tank. could not clamp onto the seat down tube, as i needed the seat at it,s lowest point. the upside is the tank is high enough for gravity fuel feed. and as a disguise. i put a large hold all leather bag under it. and zipped it up. you cant see the tank now, looks like i just have a bag on the RACK. which i also fixed underneath the tank. but the engine is to wide, and i hit my left knee on the gearbox. got to change that somehow. As i have mentioned before, why are we not all using the thatsdax.com forward mounted engine and drive system, that uses all the bikes gears without all the usual jackshaft fittings, And why can,t it be mounted lower in the frame. would solve all my problems in one go.

Last edited:

flex man

Feb 24, 2011
Woodland Hills Ca.
Hi
Did you EVER check out Max Powers set up if yours looks anyway close to his My hats off to ya.............Flex............I no his is HF but the engineering
What can I say Perfection!!!!!!!!!!
Flex

The_Aleman

Jul 31, 2008
el People's Republik de Kalifornistan
Too bad I missed this thread when it came out. I've been running my build off/on since Labor Day last year. The Honda-style 5:1 4G on 5/8" shaft HuaSheng or GXH50 can fit just fine with 4-stroke SBP mount, but it is still very wide. You should specify a 36T inner sprocket tho, the 30T is only suitable for old Stage II/III. Keep in mind with SBP & 4G you'll have mount-tweakin torque :D

Smoothe

Sep 12, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
I sure would like to shift, but I don't have hoot or grubee. Do you guys know if the 3.25:1 scooter transmissions are similar?

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Well since you know everything maybe your right maybe your wrong..
Jim has always said that the Q Matic drive is way too long to do their kind of jackshaft.
SBP had a Silent Drive from EZ Motorbike too.

Yes, I have had many talks with Ghost0 about shifter kits, 4 stroke shifter kits and
one of our favorite topics the EZ Motorbike company. LOL

See you at the next ride / race. Have Fun

Last edited: